Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2015 10:26:20 PM EDT
Probable job offer in DC that I cant turn down if it comes through. Looks like VA is the only place even possible to live near there. Anything regarding firearms I should know? Did some searching and didnt see anything. Coming from Colorado with some NFA items (trust).

At least it doesnt look like there are any stupid mag limit or private transfer laws like they passed here. I already know the traffic sucks beyond belief and riding the metro every day will suck the life out of me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget it's expensive too!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
No problem with NFA. Only requirement is machine guns must be registered with the State Police.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun laws are fine. NFA is ok. As stated above only machine guns need to be registered. The metro isn't bad I use it all of the time. Join the VCDL as soon as you get here and follow there alerts and you will enjoy it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Dogfish head.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Be prepared for price shock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't turn it down because of $$$, or employer?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the comments everyone. Unfortunately I sold all of the MGs long ago so none of those to deal with. Been looking at house prices so I am aware of how insane they are.

To answer the question, job is sort of once in a lifetime position at the Smithsonian. I work in a pretty limited field so jobs dont come up too often. Have been on contract money for years but its a gamble getting renewed. Pay range is about double of what I make now but cost of living calc shows I would actually make less on a relative scale. But I cant contract forever.

Thanks again for the advice. Should know soon if moving is in my future.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck to you and hopefully Welcome!

Do not ever and I mean ever take anything I say again anything firearm related into the district. Not even a spent piece of brass. People have been charged and arrested for a single piece of spent brass. The charge has something to do about having ammunition for an unregistered firearm. Yes, it's that bad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do not ever and I mean ever take anything I say again anything firearm related into the district. Not even a spent piece of brass. People have been charged and arrested for a single piece of spent brass. The charge has something to do about having ammunition for an unregistered firearm. Yes, it's that bad.
View Quote

He isn't joking.  There are many examples, one is below.  Not to dissuade you - welcome to VA!  It's a beautiful state with plenty of gun enthusiasts and indoor/outdoor ranges all over.  But D.C. couldn't be a more foul and despicable place.

MILLER: Exclusive — Shock verdict — Mark Witaschek guilty of possessing muzzleloader bullets in D.C.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Metro will suck the life out of you.

Look for a home near a VRE Station.

http://www.vre.org/service/staloc.htm

I did Metro for over 7 years,  now I drive for 15 minutes, get on VRE.  Much nicer ride.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He isn't joking.  There are many examples, one is below.  Not to dissuade you - welcome to VA!  It's a beautiful state with plenty of gun enthusiasts and indoor/outdoor ranges all over.  But D.C. couldn't be a more foul and despicable place.

MILLER: Exclusive — Shock verdict — Mark Witaschek guilty of possessing muzzleloader bullets in D.C.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And important safety tip:  There is a small part of the George Washington Parkway that a normal person would think is in Virginia, but is actually part of DC.  There are no warning signs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't let them scare you on the Metro.  I ride it daily to work from Franconia / Springfield to L'Enfant and the majority of time I have no issues.  I prefer Metro over VRE because VRE has only several trains daily so if you miss one, you can wait 45 minutes or longer for the next train.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#14]
The VRE goes really far to the west and south.
But it's a long ride from the Manassas airport to Lefant...70 min or so. It's quicker to drive to fairfax and metro in, but the parking at the metro station and the drive to the metro from Manassas sucks after 6am. I like the long nap/iPad surfing train ride.

Avoid living near the I95 corridor, the i95 will steal your soul quicker than a scarlet headed succubus.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Avoid living near the I95 corridor, the i95 will steal your soul quicker than a scarlet headed succubus.
View Quote

Not if the job pays enough to take the toll road - I'm home in about 35+ minutes instead of the usual 1hr 15min to 1hr 30min it took.  Traffic drives at 80 and the VSP just watches us fly.  I was considering a new job until they finally finished it and now Arlington to Quantico is cake.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#16]
If you live in Virginia make sure they take out taxes only for Virginia, NOT DC !

Friend of mine is a Smithsonian employee that worked on SoHo satellite at Goddard in Maryland. Never set one foot into DC
and the Smithsonian by default put him under Washington DC taxes which are extremely high. Make sure their HR payroll get it correct with the
proper number of dependents and withholding on your W4.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't let them scare you on the Metro.  I ride it daily to work from Franconia / Springfield to L'Enfant and the majority of time I have no issues.  I prefer Metro over VRE because VRE has only several trains daily so if you miss one, you can wait 45 minutes or longer for the next train.  
View Quote

I waited over 45 minutes for a metro train many times in 7 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top