Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2015 2:23:06 PM EDT
Has anyone made one?  I've got a trust and want to Form 1 a silencer just for fun.  I understand it will probably cost me just as much to make it as to buy it, but I've given up on trying to make an 80% lower.

I looked at the "$100 suppressor thread" and my head just spun.  I didn't even know what a freeze plug was (not that it's any clearer now).  But what I've learned for sure is I can't just buy some baffles and spacers off the shelf, I've got to make them to be legal.

Anyway, I'd be interested in someone walking me through it, preferably at your place or mine, so I can actually SEE it and ask questions as we go along.  I don't expect charity - we can go shooting at ESS on my dime & ammo, or get beer and steaks or whatever you'd like.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Making one now, not in NoVA but like, I go there sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I have.. It's cake.
When you get your form 1 approved we can hookup.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When you submit the form 1, do you only need to supply the outside dimensions and caliber?  Can you sit on the approved form for as long as you like until you decide to actually build it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you submit the form 1, do you only need to supply the outside dimensions and caliber?  Can you sit on the approved form for as long as you like until you decide to actually build it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes I have.. It's cake.
When you get your form 1 approved we can hookup.

Awesome - thanks!!

I also have the same question as above.  I'm not sure what needs to be on the Form 1, as I'm not even sure how I'd know the length until I had the "shell" (for lack of a better word).
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Length doesn't have to be exact...add 1/4"-1/2", or research and see what others have used.
I used the SDT 8" tube, steel muzzle adapter and aluminum endcap.... mine was filed as 9.25"

Once the form is approved I see no reason you couldn't sit on it as long as you like. No follow-up..and no deadline to construct.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Length doesn't have to be exact...add 1/4"-1/2", or research and see what others have used.
I used the SDT 8" tube, steel muzzle adapter and aluminum endcap.... mine was filed as 9.25"

Once the form is approved I see no reason you couldn't sit on it as long as you like. No follow-up..and no deadline to construct.
View Quote

Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Any interest in a build party similar to what we had at YukonBoys place a short time ago? I'd be willing to start the stamp process if a few others are interested, and then plan on getting together to do the leg work once they are approved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Gotta save the coin so I can build another can. I have a 8" .300BLK in process right now.

I have the evil bay baffle forming tool, a swaging too, table top drill press and can lay hands on a ball joint press.... just add an impact wrench and D-cell baffles are cake.
The hard part will be getting time off from working nights.

BTW... I live right off 610 in Stafford.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gotta save the coin so I can build another can. I have a 8" .300BLK in process right now.

I have the evil bay baffle forming tool, a swaging too, table top drill press and can lay hands on a ball joint press.... just add an impact wrench and D-cell baffles are cake.
The hard part will be getting time off from working nights.

BTW... I live right off 610 in Stafford.
View Quote

I'm near Quantico and have a flex schedule, so I'm good for whenever.

I've got a few more questions then I'll go do my Form 1 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any interest in a build party similar to what we had at YukonBoys place a short time ago? I'd be willing to start the stamp process if a few others are interested, and then plan on getting together to do the leg work once they are approved.
View Quote

I'm up for that.  I might do one early, but would do another.  We probably need some planning WAY in advance so everyone has their stamp.  I wouldn't want to leave someone out who wanted to be included.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be in for a build party.

Been wanting to do one before 41P.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Have built and repaired 13 different ones. Trying to finish rebuilding an HK MP5SD one now. It has matching numbers to the gun so that is the only reason it's getting done.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm interested in playing too. I'd like to build a 7.62 can that I can use on 300 BLK and 5.56.
I already have a 22 SS sparrow that I used a trust for, but that was a Florida Trust.

It looks like the process to get the PWC sheriff signature is pretty easy so I may just go that route.

Any tips on suppressor length? I'd prefer more suppression and length isn't too much of a concern because I'd primarily mount it on a 300BLK SBR with subs.

I'm not exactly what length for the SBR...I want to balance functionality and length. I can tailor handloads to keep rounds subsonic, I just want the thing to cycle and I'm not sure about length for the gas port.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
If you guys end up doing a build party, please let me know, I could probably bring a spare HF hydraulic press if needed for freeze plugs.  

Zach
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you guys end up doing a build party, please let me know, I could probably bring a spare HF hydraulic press if needed for freeze plugs.  

Zach
View Quote

Will do.  I'll host one later this spring (May?  Early June?).

Get your paperwork in, folks.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

Another F1 goes in next Wednesday
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

Wednesday?  Do you have them on an automatic bill pay or something?  

Let's use this thread to coordinate activities and I'll host a build party / BBQ in a couple months.  Hopefully these stamps come back quickly.  

I just got my engraved tube back today from JB Precision.  (For those unfamiliar, like I was, this is an SD Tactical 9.6" D-size black carbon steel tube.  I had SD Tactical have JB Precision engrave it at time of purchase.)  And these are some Amazon goodies that just appeared today.    I might find something to color the raw metal with a black.

EDIT:  Now I remember, anyone used these before?  JForm D Complete Kit

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is relevant to my interests. I am thinking integrally suppressed 9mm using a QC10 GSF lower. Can the baffles be removed after being inserted into the tube?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Wednesday?  Do you have them on an automatic bill pay or something?  

Let's use this thread to coordinate activities and I'll host a build party / BBQ in a couple months.  Hopefully these stamps come back quickly.  

I just got my engraved tube back today from JB Precision.  (For those unfamiliar, like I was, this is an SD Tactical 9.6" D-size black carbon steel tube.  I had SD Tactical have JB Precision engrave it at time of purchase.)  And these are some Amazon goodies that just appeared today.    I might find something to color the raw metal with a black.

http://s11.postimg.org/dzsxi18dv/IMG_0933a.jpg
View Quote

So did you purchase the tube from SD Tactical and then send it over to JB Precision for the engraving? NM Answered my own question.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Between you folks and a few of my friends makng one, now I am going to have to start working on one.  Probably a .30 cal so I can compare it to my YHM.  

This site hurts my wallet.....

Can a form 1 be efiled by an individual, not a trust?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Between you folks and a few of my friends makng one, now I am going to have to start working on one.  Probably a .30 cal so I can compare it to my YHM.  

Can a form 1 be efiled by an individual, not a trust?
View Quote

Yeah this is a dangerous place for the wallet.

At this time e-file is only for trusts, Corp, LLC, ect....
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If anyone has a working drawing/dimensions of the dies, I may be able to a few of them before the build party.

Zach
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If anyone has a working drawing/dimensions of the dies, I may be able to a few of them before the build party.

Zach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

I don't know anything about that kit, other than it just went on sale for $95, and looks to be a nice all-in-one.  But then again, I don't know if this is a perfect little kit, or if it's worthless crap.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't know anything about that kit, other than it just went on sale for $95, and looks to be a nice all-in-one.  But then again, I don't know if this is a perfect little kit, or if it's worthless crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

I have pretty much the same thing... although I don't recall who I purchased it from, but it was an evilbay vendor.
Makes really nice baffles... I use a balljoint press and an impact wrench to form them. Works like a champ!!

ETA..
balljoint press from HF..
</a>" />

pressing a baffle..
</a>" />

can with internals on the bench..
</a>" />

when the video finishes processing I'll post it here.

1 super to clear the can of oxygen, the balance are 170gr gemtech subs
[youtube][/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#26]
you guys are getting ready to cost me some money. LOL. i wont be able to join the build party but now i have links to where to get stuff from. looks like i need to get a trust going.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
you guys are getting ready to cost me some money. LOL. i wont be able to join the build party but now i have links to where to get stuff from. looks like i need to get a trust going.
View Quote

David is a good guy.. you can get a trust cheaper, but you won't get better service..
VA Gun Trusts

..and he is a site sponsor.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the pics, I'm getting excited now!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I wanna do a Ti can this time.. this one is heavy as hell.
but on a 7.5" barrel the balance is nice...
this time I'm building a can for my 10.5" .223... if my stamp comes back in time.

...even with supers, the can is pretty damned impressive for dirt-assed-cheap...lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Amen to that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen to that.

Trap and end cap ordered.  Email off to the guy making yhm adaptors.  Form going to SO for processing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

David is a good guy.. you can get a trust cheaper, but you won't get better service..
VA Gun Trusts

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VA Gun Trusts

DAMN, its a 3.5-4 hour drive from me to him. may have to find someone closer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VA Gun Trusts

he can do it by email....
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#33]

I don't know how I missed this thread, but  I'm in NoVA and I'm almost done with my all Ti DM build.

Just got my F1 approved and am working on a few last components before posting a build report.

I would be interested in getting together with other builders and test firing / comparing these.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice looking!

They were out of Ti when I picked up my tube, and the carbon steel is heavy!  I'll have to envy yours for the time being.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#35]
My 6" Ti and cap hit Dulles USPS this morning at 0530.....

I should have it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#36]
F1 approved/
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
F1 approved/
View Quote

I'm guessing I've got another month.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#38]
ugh.. why the F can't I seem to be able to post a video using the wysiwyg editor?

anyway...

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Missed the last build party because I didn't plan ahead and my parts didn't come in, in time. For those of us new to the NFA world, can someone post  a list of everything i would need to build a silencer? I can go either 5.56 or .22LR, whichever folks are building. What can you buy before setting up the trust and getting your form 1 back? What do you need to wait on?

Also, is a trust really necessary? How much did it cost you guys to set up?

Sorry for all the basic questions. I'm not new to shooting but haven't done anything NFA before.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Missed the last build party because I didn't plan ahead and my parts didn't come in, in time. For those of us new to the NFA world, can someone post  a list of everything i would need to build a silencer? I can go either 5.56 or .22LR, whichever folks are building. What can you buy before setting up the trust and getting your form 1 back? What do you need to wait on?

Also, is a trust really necessary? How much did it cost you guys to set up?

Sorry for all the basic questions. I'm not new to shooting but haven't done anything NFA before.
View Quote

I'm certainly not the resident expert, but I can answer several of your questions.

1) A trust is not required.  The benefit of a trust is that it allows you to eFile your Form 1 online, which usually means you'll receive an approval in about two months (it used to be shorter).  With no trust, you must file as an individual and mail everything in.  I'm hearing people saying everything from 90-100 days to over 120.  Regardless of the exact dates, you will typically get an approval in half the time with a trust filing electronically.  Plus, you don't need photographs and fingerprints and CLEO sign-off - this is important in the counties here that aren't NFA friendly.

2) Trust are super simple.  You can get templates online, get a copy from a friend, use Quicken/LegalZoom, or pay an attorney to draft one.  If you just plan to use them "in house" (no loaning to friends, strangers, 3rd cousins), just get a template that's been used in VA.  You don't need all the bells and whistles.

3) You cannot start to build a suppressor until you've been approved to do so.  That would be a felony and generally frowned upon.  You can buy all the parts, per se, but you cannot drill baffles and posses what the ATF considers suppressor parts.

Don't worry about getting too much stuff in advance.  You can get stuff from SD Tactical shipped within 2-3 days, as an example.  It's not a big deal.

Go to the Suppressor forum here and to the SDTA Form 1 build thread (SDTA Form 1 Thread) and read up on how to make them.  There are lots of videos to watch.  Then ask any questions you have and people will be happy to help.

You're welcome to come to my build party - approval or not - and watch other people build theirs while you are still waiting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#41]
When is the build party referenced above?  Thanks to you, I have a Form 1 efiled, just went from pending research to processing on 5/17.  No parts ordered yet.  
Planning on a 30cal, 10in, with Ti tube and FP build.

I have an impact wrench I could bring, if needed.  

Where do you NoVA people recommend for barrel threading?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When is the build party referenced above?
View Quote

TBD

I eFiled on 4/3.  I assume I'll get an approval within the next 2 weeks.  At that point I'll see what date works for people, and maybe extend the date by a little if people are still waiting.

If you don't have your form in hand by the build party you are still welcome by for drinks/pizza.  You will have the benefit of watching others in advance of you having to figure it out on your own, plus we'll all get to meet and B.S. a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top