Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2015 7:33:52 PM EDT
I've been offered a job in Newport News doing something really cool. It goes without saying that I won't be able to have a truck gun on base but what do I need to know about the state?

Magazine, weapon, or ammo restrictions? Is chl possible?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
no restrictions to speak of other than some goofy requirements for ID for "assault weapon" purchases, but other than that, no. I too work at .gov facility doing something cool and you get over not having a truck gun or handgun in the vehicle with you. CHP is "shall issue" here, which means they have to give you one unless you don't qualify for it. No ammo restrictions either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in NN are you going to be? Fort Eustis?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I'll be flying out of a naval base.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Newport News is shady.  If at all possible, drive a hooptie that won't attract attention.  Don't keep anything nice in there.  Get on the road and don't stop anywhere, esp . at night.  It sucks if you have a long drive if you don't have a good radio, but you takes your chances...  Here's two links to give you an idea of what's up.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/va/newport-news/huntington/#crime

http://spotcrime.com/va/newport%20news
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Newport News is shady.  If at all possible, drive a hooptie that won't attract attention.  Don't keep anything nice in there.  Get on the road and don't stop anywhere, esp . at night.  It sucks if you have a long drive if you don't have a good radio, but you takes your chances...  Here's two links to give you an idea of what's up.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/va/newport-news/huntington/#crime

http://spotcrime.com/va/newport%20news
View Quote

I don't drive a hoopty nor do I plan to buy one.

I'm planning on finding a nice neighborhood even if I have to drive. The yutes shouldn't have access to my truck if it's on base.

Any neighborhood advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on what base, Williamsburg is nice. Avoid tunnels if possible.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... some goofy requirements for ID for "assault weapon" purchases ...
View Quote

... requirements, which to my recollection were a legislative, knee-jerk reaction to the 1993 shootings at CIA Headquarters.  I believe the legislation was 'sold' by the gun-grabbing Wilder regime as preventing the lawful possession of an AK-47 ...

...by someone who has decided to commit murder with a firearm.  

The underlying goal, in my belief, was to introduce into the Virginia Code -- and the minds of the Commonwealth's citizens -- the concept of an "assault weapon" ... as a class of semi-automatic rifles subject to and necessitating 'special' regulation.

Don'cha sleep sounder at night confident that the Mir Aimal Kasis of the world will decide to respect that law, and commit their crimes with some other semi-automatic rifle?  Unless the Mir-Aimal-Kasi-wannabee thinks to himself, 'Oh, shite!  I can't lawfully use a semi-auto AK-47 in my jihadic quest for 72 virgins.  I might as well use a full-auto AK instead.'

I would sleep sounder at night if all of Guhvennor Wilder's anti-2A legacy was scoured from the Code.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
When I lived there, I lived in Chesapeake in the Great bridge area.. loved it
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
You will be fine carrying in that part of the Commonwealth.  

If you have a VA CCW, its good in NC as well, although they have a "duty to inform" law if the police there ever pull you over (here in VA, they usually know you have a permit before they even get to your window).  Use your .mil separation form as proof of training (it is accepted).

No other peculiar laws come to mind; except maybe switchblades are forbidden here - even for CCW holders (yes I know - it makes no sense).

Be extremely careful carrying anywhere near D.C. - one wrong turn and you could be driving in D.C. without meaning to.  And they prosecuted a guy in DC last year for possessing a single reloading bullet for a black powder replica gun.  You really do not want to have even a fired shell casing in your vehicle in D.C. (although they welcome pot heads.  go figure).
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
We do not have a "CCW" we have a "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun."
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmmmm. I grew up on the Virginia peninsula, and don't know of any naval bases there, except for the Naval Weapons Station in Yorktown and Cheatham Annex near Williamsburg. Nothing in NN, though.

NAS Norfolk?  NAS Oceana? Both are on the south side of Hampton Roads, Nowhere near NN.

Have things changed that much since I left?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No need to be coy, theres no naval bases in Newport News, so like another poster already mentioned, either you're going to be working at Yorktown/Williamsburg or Norfolk/VA Beach bases.

That matters in regards to where you want to move to. I doubt you want to live in northern NN and have an hour commute to the South Side. If you're working at Yorktown, no reason not to live in York County, James City County or Williamsburg.

Newport News really isn't all that "shady". It's like any other city with over 100,000 people; some nice parts, some rough parts, and a whole lot in between.

It might also help know your situation; family or single, apt ok or want some land/privacy. Within a 15 minute drive the climate can change significantly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Depending on what base, Williamsburg is nice. Avoid tunnels if possible.
View Quote

Yes, this.  Not to be stuck up, but if you're on the peninsula- stay on the peninsula.  Nothing but stress, heartache and frustration if you get stuck in the epic traffic snafus of the area.  If you have Google maps (or Waze) zoom into the area from 0500-8000 and 1500-1900 EST.  See a lot of red?  Yep.  See the Chinese fire drill at the tunnels and bridges?  Imagine yourself stuck in that for hours each day.  

And you're coming from OK?  Please notice the maps of this area- a traditional N-S-E-W grid layout of streets escapes the traffic designers of this area.  Partially due to geography, partially due to re-use of old, Colonial era trails.  Even more frustrating is this region's predilection to rename a street to a completely different name after it crosses another one.  

*End rant*

But as others have stated, concealed carry is possible, open carry is allowed.  No real restrictions on ammo, magazines or such.  Don't bring your weapons onto a .mil or .gov installation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No need to be coy, theres no naval bases in Newport News, so like another poster already mentioned, either you're going to be working at Yorktown/Williamsburg or Norfolk/VA Beach bases.

That matters in regards to where you want to move to. I doubt you want to live in northern NN and have an hour commute to the South Side. If you're working at Yorktown, no reason not to live in York County, James City County or Williamsburg.

Newport News really isn't all that "shady". It's like any other city with over 100,000 people; some nice parts, some rough parts, and a whole lot in between.

It might also help know your situation; family or single, apt ok or want some land/privacy. Within a 15 minute drive the climate can change significantly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not being coy, I don't have my full packet yet and I'm operating on partial info. I'll be flying a jet on a military installation near Newport News. Details to follow since I don't report for over a month.

I've got one child and his momma coming along. We'd like a townhouse or a 3br/2ba with a fenced yard if possible.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#15]
There's Langley Air Force Base in the Hampton area, NAS Norfolk on the right just as you get across the Hampton Roads Tunnel, and NAS Oceana in Va Beach. You need to live on whichever side of the water that you're gonna be working to avoid the tunnels. AVOID THE TUNNELS !!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a navy contract so I'm probably not going to be at Langley.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

So hard to tell these days what with all the jointness BS.  I'd ask if I were you.  As others have said, you want to avoid having to do the tunnels twice a day every day if at all possible.  They were horrible 25 years ago, and I can''t imagine they've gotten better.

Is this job by chance with FSI towing targets with a Lear?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a civilian airport in Newport News, I don't know if the military flies anything out of it.

The Farm also has a runway but I doubt that's where you're going.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So hard to tell these days what with all the jointness BS.  I'd ask if I were you.  As others have said, you want to avoid having to do the tunnels twice a day every day if at all possible.  They were horrible 25 years ago, and I can''t imagine they've gotten better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I've never heard of FSI.

I'm not crazy enough to work for the Agency.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of Flight Safety International?  Really?  Pretty big outfit... all over the aviation community, and a perennial holder of the contract to tow targets.

WRT  CIA - I know quite a few current and retired CIA types... none of them are crazy in the least.  Of course only one (that I know of ) was in the Clandestine Service.  The rest are/were analysts or support types.

In any event, welcome to VA...Join VCDL.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#21]
The navy does have aircraft flying out of Newport News Airport.  They are a contract unit providing OPFOR and different ELINT and various simulations.  They were in the hanger across the tarmac from our plane.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Never heard of Flight Safety International?  Really?  Pretty big outfit... all over the aviation community, and a perennial holder of the contract to tow targets.

WRT  CIA - I know quite a few current and retired CIA types... none of them are crazy in the least.  Of course only one (that I know of ) was in the Clandestine Service.  The rest are/were analysts or support types.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a run in with a pair of CIA agents in Afghanistan, one of them went ape-shit over something simple. It was funny and as a result I joke about the CIA a lot. I've heard of Flight Safety but I didn't realize they did anything other than sim training. Pretty cool to find out they actually have aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Just live on the same side of the water that you work.  Having to commute through the tunnel is for the birds.  There's nice places to live on either side.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just live on the same side of the water that you work.  Having to commute through the tunnel is for the birds.  There's nice places to live on either side.
View Quote

This. Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#25]
There is some Navy at HIINNSY...
Op I am sure whatever you are doing will be fun... Hampton Roads is nice in general, good and bad in each area.  And like others have said...consider the tunnels and bridges in your commute plans.  If you have or plan on school age youngins probably most important to look for good schools (hint: Va Beach has some of the highest rated in the Nation....did when my daughter graduated from PA in 2011)

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#26]
If it is out of NN, it is either (L3) Flight International towing targets and doing AIC work or it is with ATAC or one of it's subsidiaries doing OPFOR and Red Air work. The only other thing there is  the BE1900 shuttle between the shipyard here and  Groton....

Either way I would look north of KPHF up toward Williamsburg or if you don't mind a buck or two each way over the Coleman bridge, then the Northern Neck is a good choice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If it is out of NN, it is either (L3) Flight International towing targets and doing AIC work or it is with ATAC or one of it's subsidiaries doing OPFOR and Red Air work. The only other thing there is  the BE1900 shuttle between the shipyard here and  Groton....

Either way I would look north of KPHF up toward Williamsburg or if you don't mind a buck or two each way over the Coleman bridge, then the Northern Neck is a good choice.
View Quote

That's the Middle Peninsula.  The Northern Neck is one heck of a commute to the NN area unless you have a cigarette boat.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's the Middle Peninsula.  The Northern Neck is one heck of a commute to the NN area unless you have a cigarette boat.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy commute from Gloucester or Mathews (middle peninsula area).  A little longer from Middlesex area, and a heck of a long commute from the northern neck area (over an hour).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top