Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 6:44:49 PM EDT
I need a hotel recommendation not too far from Water Country USA.  The wife found a Days Inn nearby, but it only has a two star rating.

Can someone recommend a hotel that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need a hotel recommendation not too far from Water Country USA.  The wife found a Days Inn nearby, but it only has a two star rating.

View Quote

There are closer hotels to Water Country, but for a solid place to stay in Williamsburg that doesn't cost a fortune, I've always been happy with the Rodeway Inn Historic.

Link: Rodeway Inn Historic

You definitely won't mistake it for a Ritz Carlton, but I've found the summer rates to be good and the rooms are comfortable with plenty of space, although they are dated and it is a motel if you were looking for an actual hotel.  FWIW, we've typically gotten a room with a fridge for waters, etc. for the kids, and if you don't mind pretty basic breakfast food they offer that as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are closer hotels to Water Country, but for a solid place to stay in Williamsburg that doesn't cost a fortune, I've always been happy with the Rodeway Inn Historic.

You definitely won't mistake it for a Ritz Carlton, but I've found the summer rates to be good and the rooms are comfortable with plenty of space, although they are dated and it is a motel if you were looking for an actual hotel.  FWIW, we've typically gotten a room with a fridge for waters, etc. for the kids, and if you don't mind pretty basic breakfast food they offer that as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back to the Days Inn...besides it only being two stars, is it in a shitty area?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, I'm useless to you on that question.  I've only stayed closer to the historical area.  Sorry I don't have more info!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, Great Wolf Lodge BLOWS!  Comment based on their piss poor service.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm assuming you're talking about Water Country, USA in Williamsburg.  If so, here's a possiblity:

Econo Lodge Pottery

Google Maps says it's about 20 minutes from the Water County in Williamsburg, so I don't know if that's too far.  I stayed at this Econo Lodge in December of last year during a weekend of hunting in Toano.  

Friend's of my SO gave us permission to hunt some property they have in Toano, so we needed a place to stay, since Toano is a 3 hour drive each way from our place in NoVA.  I booked a room at this hotel since it was close and cheap.  While it is definitely a no frills motel, the rooms were clean and in good repair.  If you're just looking for a place to shower and sleep that's relatively close to Williamsburg, I'd recommend it.   If I can fit the Toano hunt in next season I'll book there again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a Country Inns and Suites nearby over on Pocahontas Trail not more than a mile away. I stay there often, like it al lot. Have stayed at the Days Inn, didn't like it much.
If you stay at the Country Inns don't bother with the Pancake house next to it, they suck.
If you like Italian, Sal's by Victor is my favorite. Huge portions, good prices, open carry friendly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a newer Days Inn inside Williamsburg which would be like 15 minutes away. Also a newer Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn - all these are off 60/Bypass Road.  Off of route 5, Capital Landing, there is a newer Hampton Inn. I haven't stayed in any, just judging books by their cover, but they look better than the "Days Hotel" across from Water Country.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Courtyard Marriott Williamsburg/Busch Gardens Area (That's the actual name) and is rated 4.7 out of 5 w/98 reviews.  It's exactly 1 mile away and you WILL mistake it for a Four Seasons - it's pretty pimped out, but shockingly inexpensive.  

I think we paid $99 or $109 literally last minute back in Dec or Jan to go to Busch Gardens Christmas thingy.  Booking in advance and it's $87 a night, I believe.  Anyway, my two cents.  I've been there twice and can vouch for it's posh-ness at regular Joe prices.

Courtyard Marriott

EDIT:  $87 a night... that's funny.  I looked it up, and yea, it's $87 a night.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To answer your question...its across the street from the park. I grew up in that area and there is really nothing around the hotel so its not a bad area unless something has changed. I can not speak for the hotel it self as I was never in it but I do recall thinking it was a no the nicest hotel.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
VACaver,
You didn't mention if you were military...but if you are active/retired, just down the road from Water Country is Cheatham Annex. Navy MWR has outstanding, fully stocked cottages and even rental houses, along with camp sites at great pricing....it is perhaps the best bet for anyone Active or Retired visiting the Historic Triange. Of course, major caveat here is, it is on a military reservation, so your 2A rights END as you enter the gate.  

http://www.discovermwr.com/nwsyorktowncheatham/

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Well, there isn't much around it. A small mall across the street with a Target and Best Buy. Closest places to eat other than the hotel restaruant or the Target snack bar are a few miles away.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Defining an "arm and a leg" would narrow the field a bit. There are plenty of the usual Hilton/Marriott properties within an easy 10-minute or so commute.

ETA: Depending on number of people and length of stay it's hard to beat the Homewood Suites. 2 Queens with a kitchenette (fridge, microwave, dishawasher, etc) , free breakfast and dinner (meh food) for $83/night on the .mil rate.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I appreciate ya'lls help.

The missus has made reservations somewhere...no further suggestions needed.

Where are we staying? Fuck if I know. I gave her my input and got shot down each time.

You married guys know exactly how that goes

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
When's the trip? Need some suggestions or is it all planned out?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I appreciate ya'lls help.

The missus has made reservations somewhere...no further suggestions needed.

Where are we staying? Fuck if I know. I gave her my input and got shot down each time.

You married guys know exactly how that goes

View Quote

Enjoy man! It's been years since I've seen that park but people I know who go love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top