Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2015 2:51:49 PM EDT
I was notified of a new gun store close to my home and thought I'd check it out in the near future. While checking out photos on their Facebook page I noticed this sign on the door and it left me a bit confused. is it actually against the law to carry a loaded concealed weapon into a gunshop?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry all the time in gun shops, loaded. Some have the right answer?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure that they are making stuff up and attributing it to the law.

I don't shop at gun shops that do stuff like that.

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be an insurance provision or a private property ( Their house, their rules), but I don't think it's a VA law issue.  Might be something that VCDL should point out to them.  Not the first LGS tired of putting up with Asshattery with people "trying holsters."  Not saying that its right, but their house, their rules.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd ask them to clarify first.  If they actually enforce this for CHP holsters, stay away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
We have this sign up.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting guys!
The gentleman who runs the shop states on his website that he is a 25 year veteran of law enforcement which has me even more curious. While I agree that it should be "his property, his rules", it makes me second guess shopping at a store that would try to pass off personal stance as law.
I believe I'll give him a call to clarify.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Would be interesting to see which statute/code.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting guys!
The gentleman who runs the shop states on his website that he is a 25 year veteran of law enforcement which has me even more curious. While I agree that it should be "his property, his rules", it makes me second guess shopping at a store that would try to pass off personal stance as law.
I believe I'll give him a call to clarify.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm hoping it only pertains to firearms not actively being carried.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Just spoke with the fellow and he was very nice and clarified the meaning of the sign.
The shop is located in close proximity to a school zone so all non concealed firearms must be unloaded and cased to comply with law. He further stated that this does not apply to legal concealed carry and seemed to imply that it was welcome at his establishment.
Now that that's cleared up I look forward to having a shop located within 5 minutes of my house .
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The shop is located in close proximity to a school zone so all non concealed firearms must be unloaded and cased to comply with law
View Quote

STILL bullshit. No laws about "proximity" to a school apply to this, not even the stupid school zone act. Unless he  is ON school proprty there are no laws that would require this, and even thien, THIS would not be the legal thing. He's still making shiit up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

STILL bullshit. No laws about "proximity" to a school apply to this, not even the stupid school zone act. Unless he  is ON school proprty there are no laws that would require this, and even thien, THIS would not be the legal thing. He's still making shiit up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The shop is located in close proximity to a school zone so all non concealed firearms must be unloaded and cased to comply with law

I think you're mistaken about this. IIRC the federal "safe school zones Act" says that it's a violation to carry a firearm within 1000 feet of a school, unless you have a concealed weapons permit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I think he is quoting the exemption of carrying concealed without a permit.....

§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.

C. Except as provided in subsection A of § 18.2-308.012, this section shall not apply to:

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

and I also think he's twisting the law to suit his needs....
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you're mistaken about this. IIRC the federal "safe school zones Act" says that it's a violation to carry a firearm within 1000 feet of a school, unless you have a concealed weapons permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per Va code 18.2-308.1 you can have an unloaded handgun in your vehicle if it's in a locked container. You can also have an unloaded rifle or shotgun in a gun rack. If your a concealed carry permit holder you can have it as long as you don't leave the vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sign says "Virginia state law."

It's complete and utter nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Per Va code 18.2-308.1 you can have an unloaded handgun in your vehicle if it's in a locked container. .
View Quote

Secured, not locked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Secured, not locked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Per Va code 18.2-308.1 you can have an unloaded handgun in your vehicle if it's in a locked container. .

Secured, not locked.

I looked it up again, we are actually both wrong. The exact language is "closed"
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I've heard a lot of derp from retired leo's regarding VA state firearm laws
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I looked it up again, we are actually both wrong. The exact language is "closed"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Secured, not locked.

I was referring to "Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;"
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the input guys.
i think his intentions are honest and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Im going to head on up there later this week to check out his shop and shoot the bull.
He has a respectable resume and with the training he offers I feel confident he is a strong proponent of the 2nd.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I see those signs on a lot of gun shops. They generally are referring to guns you are bringing in for service, to sell, transfer, etc.. If it's concealed, just keep it that way.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#21]
What they don't know won't hurt them. There's a reason its called "concealed" carry
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What they don't know won't hurt them. There's a reason its called "concealed" carry
View Quote

But the reason isn't what you think its for...

§ 18.2-308.01. Carrying a concealed handgun with a permit.

C. The granting of a concealed handgun permit pursuant to this article shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys.
i think his intentions are honest and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Im going to head on up there later this week to check out his shop and shoot the bull.
He has a respectable resume and with the training he offers I feel confident he is a strong proponent of the 2nd.
View Quote

I regularly open carry with "close proximity" of schools. I occasionally open carry on UVA property.

I'd ask to see the law in question.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
There is no VA law requiring firearms be unloaded in a gunshop.  Owner is probably an idiot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is no VA law requiring firearms be unloaded in a gunshop.  Owner is probably an idiot.
View Quote

You should have read the thread before commenting, just saying
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read it, felt like reiterating.  It's amazing to me that people will A: think making a sign like that is ok, and B: that others will believe it without checking statutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top