Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 11:56:32 AM EDT
I'm originally from CT so living in Virginia I laugh at the sight of someone buying a snow blower.

Well, last winter we had multiple storms with double digit snowfalls (I'm north west Loudoun Co so we always get more than expected) and my driveway is almost 400 ft long. The last two storms left me with about 12" on my driveway and there is no way the wife's car is getting out.

Scrolling through craigslist as I can't justify paying new for something that I'll only use 3-4 times a year.

Upon moving to this area it wasn't so bad, but two years ago we moved to an area that always gets more than projected for the area.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Summer would be a good time to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I know. The current situation is I either buy one (used) OR shovel about a ft of snow for 400 ft otherwise the other half isn't going to work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Ariens.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ariens.
View Quote

+1 on the ARIENS, check craigslist, there are some real good deals in Ashburn and Leesburg.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1 on the ARIENS, check craigslist, there are some real good deals in Ashburn and Leesburg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ariens.

Yeah, that's where I was looking. I found one that was a yardmaster. Are they good to go?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My driveway is gravel and pretty uneven. Not to mention I'm pretty isolated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
For gravel you might want a plow.  Maybe a plow on an atv?   My gravel driveway is 900-1000 feet long so I bought a compact tractor years ago. I plow the snow and refresh the gravel with a blade on the back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've tried to plow gravel before and end up pushing the rock up with the snow.

What's the trick?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's where I was looking. I found one that was a yardmaster. Are they good to go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ariens.

No, hold out for an ARIENS. They should be showing up on craigslist spring/summer for $400-600, the steel they use is much thicker and better quality. MTD and others do not compare. For the gravel, I use armor skids and set the height at 1.5 inches above the gravel and have no issues with ingesting gravel. My driveway is 15 feet wide and 150 feet long.

I have an ARIENS 8526 or 8.5hp and 26 inch width. It weighs 400+ pounds.

Link
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What's the trick?
View Quote

Skids on the plow and set it 1.5 inches above the gravel.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What's the trick?
View Quote

I reverse the blade so it won't dig into the gravel. It leaves some snow on the ground but not much.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I bought a new MTD 8/26 new still sitting strapped on it's pallet at a yard sale about 15 years ago. Still going strong. Nothing but routine oil/plug changes.

I bought Mom a slightly used but smaller 8/24 MTD about five years ago so I don't have to load-up my blower and take it up there.

I've no idea which brand of blower is better than the other but I suspect between the two MTD blowers I have less than half the cost in them total than the new blowers I see sitting outside of Lowes.

I guess if I lived up North I might worry more about brand but for no more than I use them they have served just fine. If they both crapped-out this year I would think I got more than my money's worth.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I would consider a 2 stage snowblower since your drive way is kinda long and graveled.

With plows on atv or tractor, the snow has to go somewhere and you likely run out of places to push the snow.

With a powerful snowblower, it blows the snow 35'.

Stay away from Tecumsah (hit and miss) and the Chinese engines (They have not proven themselves yet).

Look for a used Ariens or Toro with a Subaru or Briggs and Stratton engine and you are good to go.  get a decent hp engine, don't skimp.

Since I live in NOVA, and on a corner lot with paved sidewalk and driveway.  I have a Toro Single Stage 2 cycle engine blower and its all I ever need.  It has kept up with the neighbors 2 stage.

I have used my neighbors Ariens 2 stage blower with the Subaru engine for the heavy snowfalls 8+ inches, It's nice and powerful, but takes more space than my Toro 3650 and a little bit more problematic (cable keeps slipping off and the drive system inoperable).  Granted it takes about 15 minutes to fix the cable situaion but it seems to slipp off the worst time.  My Toro single stage has been bulletproof.

This one is priced a little high but something you can consider:

http://smd.craigslist.org/for/4803696032.html

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, hold out for an ARIENS. They should be showing up on craigslist spring/summer for $400-600, the steel they use is much thicker and better quality. MTD and others do not compare. For the gravel, I use armor skids and set the height at 1.5 inches above the gravel and have no issues with ingesting gravel. My driveway is 15 feet wide and 150 feet long.

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ariens.

Link

Ah, ok. That is good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would consider a 2 stage snowblower since your drive way is kinda long and graveled.

With plows on atv or tractor, the snow has to go somewhere and you likely run out of places to push the snow.

With a powerful snowblower, it blows the snow 35'.

Stay away from Tecumsah (hit and miss) and the Chinese engines (They have not proven themselves yet).

Look for a used Ariens or Toro with a Subaru or Briggs and Stratton engine and you are good to go.  get a decent hp engine, don't skimp.

Since I live in NOVA, and on a corner lot with paved sidewalk and driveway.  I have a Toro Single Stage 2 cycle engine blower and its all I ever need.  It has kept up with the neighbors 2 stage.

I have used my neighbors Ariens 2 stage blower with the Subaru engine for the heavy snowfalls 8+ inches, It's nice and powerful, but takes more space than my Toro 3650 and a little bit more problematic (cable keeps slipping off and the drive system inoperable).  Granted it takes about 15 minutes to fix the cable situaion but it seems to slipp off the worst time.  My Toro single stage has been bulletproof.

This one is priced a little high but something you can consider:

http://smd.craigslist.org/for/4803696032.html

View Quote

I'm about as far NW as you can go in NOVA so, I always get more snow than they predict for the area. I may wait until spring, but if we get another dumping of 10+ in I'm going to kick myself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I know the area well, I have a site at Loudoun Heights that needs service. Looking at the security cam, there is a foot and a half of snow at 2400 feet. It looks like a next week service call.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in a town home with a 2-door garage with ample driveway, its enough for four cars, so I'm looking an electric snow blower. Any thoughts on those?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The more you spend the less likely you will see another major storm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The more you spend the less likely you will see another major storm.
View Quote

This is exactly why I didn't get one last year.... That hasn't turned out well for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I live in a town home with a 2-door garage with ample driveway, its enough for four cars, so I'm looking an electric snow blower. Any thoughts on those?
View Quote

I would avoid the electrics.  Go with a single stage toro or honda.   If you are trying to save money. Get a used toro 2450 or 3650.   Honda are nice too but command a premium.   Even the newer toro 4 cycle are ok too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#22]

There's a local dealer that has the 22" Ariens. Going to take a look later. HD has the 24", but not sure if the 2" is worth 75 more dollars (that's what she said)
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There's a local dealer that has the 22" Ariens. Going to take a look later. HD has the 24", but not sure if the 2" is worth 75 more dollars (that's what she said)
View Quote

If you can, figure out which has the better transmission or PTO whatever it's called in a snow blower, buy the heavier duty one so you don't burn it up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

take a look at the review by customers from HD.  After reading through the review, my neighbor bought the 24" with the subaru engine after my recommendation.  It only has 6 hp but I will tell you that this engine somehow kick into overdrive and will blow the snow with no problem.  I know the B&S engine are reliable but for some reason, I just trust the subaru engine a little bit more.  Must be the japanese QC like a Honda and Toyota.  When we had the snowmegeddon a few years ago. this 24" Arien handle it without any issue.

If you have the cash, there's another Arien with a bigger Subaru engine but you are paying for more.  You may want to take a look at that one. but from my experience the compact 24" with the small Subaru will do fine.  the only problem we've had was the cable would slipped off and the snowblower no longer goes forward or reverse.  It's about a 10 minute fix, and once the cable is back on the wheel, you'll need to adjust the tension on the cable.  the Subaru engine has been 100% reliable.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

take a look at the review by customers from HD.  After reading through the review, my neighbor bought the 24" with the subaru engine after my recommendation.  It only has 6 hp but I will tell you that this engine somehow kick into overdrive and will blow the snow with no problem.  I know the B&S engine are reliable but for some reason, I just trust the subaru engine a little bit more.  Must be the japanese QC like a Honda and Toyota.  When we had the snowmegeddon a few years ago. this 24" Arien handle it without any issue.

If you have the cash, there's another Arien with a bigger Subaru engine but you are paying for more.  You may want to take a look at that one. but from my experience the compact 24" with the small Subaru will do fine.  the only problem we've had was the cable would slipped off and the snowblower no longer goes forward or reverse.  It's about a 10 minute fix, and once the cable is back on the wheel, you'll need to adjust the tension on the cable.  the Subaru engine has been 100% reliable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Thanks for all the info
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#26]
The extra 2" could save you a pass on your driveway. I seem to recall you saying 400 feet of driveway, so I would go with the biggest you can afford. Of course, doing the math on the width of your driveway is worthwhile before you spend a few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, did you wish you had one today?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I rescued a Toro 1800 electric snow blower from the neighbors trash last week.

Just used it on my drive way, sidewalk and neighbor ladies drive and walk.  My neighbor next door has one of the 2 stroke single stage blower and it just kept clogging up and wouldn't handle this wet stuff.

I am really impressed with how this little electric worked.  100' extension cord and I can reach everything I need to.  No worries about gas going bad carbs clogging up, changing oil, ect.....   Just plug it in and go.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would avoid the electrics.  Go with a single stage toro or honda.   If you are trying to save money. Get a used toro 2450 or 3650.   Honda are nice too but command a premium.   Even the newer toro 4 cycle are ok too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have agreed with you up until today.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Toro gas 2 cycle 3650 did not miss a beat today.  no clogging and it even threw snow left behind by the snowplows.  No issue whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought one today, Lowes HD out of Stock, Sears had one left, so I bought online pickup in store.
It was $100 off to boot

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My Toro gas 2 cycle 3650 did not miss a beat today.  no clogging and it even threw snow left behind by the snowplows.  No issue whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said in my other post, my neighbors 2 cycle was choking.  Not sure if it was a Toro, might have been an MTD.

This is the same electric I have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYBjQEMRUps

Mine was throwing the wet slop just fine, did manage to clog the chute a couple times with some real heavy stuff next to the street.

I'm not knocking all of the smaller gas blowers, I still think a gas blower is better.  I'm just saying before today, like you, I would not have recommended an electric.  After trying the electric I'm convinced they are a viable option for those with a smaller driveway that don't want the storage issues of a gas blower.

Considering I got my electric for free I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#33]

I'll be going with the Arien's 2 stage either 22 or 24 in.

400' of driveway and consistently more snow than predicted for the lower elevation areas.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#34]
If I had 400 feet of driveway I might be looking at an atv/tractor  with a blade. If you are making 6 passes, you are talking about over 1/3 of a mile at a pretty slow speed.

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I had 400 feet of driveway I might be looking at an atv/tractor  with a blade. If you are making 6 passes, you are talking about over 1/3 of a mile at a pretty slow speed.

-shooter
View Quote

Gravel that needs to be fixed. Place was rented for years and they never leveled or added gravel. I'm playing catch up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Then you are 100% right to go with the snowblower - the key as I understand is to upgrade the skids if you will be using it on gravel a lot. For concrete, I set mine by putting a couple nickles under the leading edge. For gravel, you want it a little higher.

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just used it on my drive way, sidewalk and neighbor ladies drive and walk.  My neighbor next door has one of the 2 stroke single stage blower and it just kept clogging up and wouldn't handle this wet stuff.

I am really impressed with how this little electric worked.  100' extension cord and I can reach everything I need to.  No worries about gas going bad carbs clogging up, changing oil, ect.....   Just plug it in and go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the Toro 1500 electric and it's a little wonder!   Plug it in and go.  I try not to don't let the snow get more than 3-4" deep before clearing it but I can clear my driveway in a fraction of the time (and with a lot less effort) than my son and I can do with shovels.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Gravel that needs to be fixed. Place was rented for years and they never leveled or added gravel. I'm playing catch up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter

Go with this for skids link I use them on my ARIENS 8526 and set 1.5 inch inch above the gravel, no problems with sucking up gravel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top