Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 11:23:35 PM EDT
I've been out of the sport for ten years now and recently got the urge again. This will be my first time shooting since moving to Virginia, so I'm trying to find a good place to go...

I've got Colonial Shooting Academy right near me... I've heard it's a good place, but I grew up shooting on private property and private ranges, so I'm not crazy about indoor ranges where your rubbing shoulders with kids trying to show off and people who are overall safety hazards. Can anyone give me an idea of how many people are usually there during normal hours? What's the best time to go when there's the least amount of people?

As for shooting clubs, I found Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club and Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club... are these places normally packed during the week?

Cavalier is only 30 minutes from me, but their website has no info on joining, and seems almost 'uninviting'. Does anyone know the requirements for joining, or if they're even allowing new members right now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I can answer questions about RRPC.

The club is almost never busy during the week (M-F), and  not very busy on most weekends. There are scheduled events on some Saturdays that use/close several of the ranges during the match, but there are always ranges open for members to use.

To join RRPC you...

Pay a one time $50.00 application fee.
Be "Introduced to the membership" at a monthly club meeting.
Must be a NRA member.
Attend a club orientation class (2.5-3 hours long)
Either do a one time, 4 hour work party, or pay a $250.00 fee.
Be voted in by the membership at a monthly meeting. (so it takes at least one month to join the club)

Yearly dues are currently $100/year. Members can bring up to 4 guests at a time to the club.

If you want to take a tour of the clubs facilities, please let me know - I'd be happy to give you a tour.

Take care,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Cavalier is only 30 minutes from me, but their website has no info on joining, and seems almost 'uninviting'. Does anyone know the requirements for joining, or if they're even allowing new members right now?

Thanks!
View Quote

Send an e-mail to CAVRPC, you'll get a response (probably from the executive officer). Annual dues are $325, there is a one-time initiation fee as well. I'm not sure what the initiation fee is now, it was $500ish years ago but that was when they were trying to raise money for a big upgrade on the 600 yard range.

Not the cheapest date in town, but it's almost 500 acres and has everything you'd ever want other than an indoor range.

I don't know if there is a waiting list right now. I think you need one (maybe two???) members to "sponsor" you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can answer questions about RRPC.

The club is almost never busy during the week (M-F), and  not very busy on most weekends. There are scheduled events on some Saturdays that use/close several of the ranges during the match, but there are always ranges open for members to use.

To join RRPC you...

Pay a one time $50.00 application fee.
Be "Introduced to the membership" at a monthly club meeting.
Must be a NRA member.
Attend a club orientation class (2.5-3 hours long)
Either do a one time, 4 hour work party, or pay a $250.00 fee.
Be voted in by the membership at a monthly meeting. (so it takes at least one month to join the club)

Yearly dues are currently $100/year. Members can bring up to 4 guests at a time to the club.

If you want to take a tour of the clubs facilities, please let me know - I'd be happy to give you a tour.

Take care,
Bob S.

View Quote

depending on where the OP lives in RVA, the dues may be $50,

I've been a member for years, live in Chesterfield,

great club to be a member off
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like Rivanna is my best option then, however those member meets might be a problem... due to my wife's odd work schedule, we usually have only one day a week for anything non-local.

Bob, I might just take you up on that offer, thanks. I'd like to pick up a couple more handguns before doing so to make my trips worthwhile though...

Quoted:
depending on where the OP lives in RVA, the dues may be $50,
View Quote

I'm 67 miles away... I believe 8 short of the 'non-resident' price.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll help in any way I can - but the bylaws require you make the two meetings. One to be introduced and one to be voted in.

Let me know when you want to come up, I'll show you around and let you make a little noise.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been out of the sport for ten years now and recently got the urge again. This will be my first time shooting since moving to Virginia, so I'm trying to find a good place to go...

I've got Colonial Shooting Academy right near me... I've heard it's a good place, but I grew up shooting on private property and private ranges, so I'm not crazy about indoor ranges where your rubbing shoulders with kids trying to show off and people who are overall safety hazards. Can anyone give me an idea of how many people are usually there during normal hours? What's the best time to go when there's the least amount of people?

As for shooting clubs, I found Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club and Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club... are these places normally packed during the week?

Thanks!
View Quote

I think they are uninviting because they were catching so much crap  from their neighbors...the less on the net, the less stuff for folks to bitch about

I think the county approved them again, but updating their Web page isn't a priority

Short answer....for richmond area, unless you have land, the options are pretty sparse for outdoor ranges

Join Quantico maybe or the Amelia range as a last resort.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Cavaliers website has the shooting competitions listed.  They are all open to the public.  The best way to join Cavalier is to go shoot in some events this year, meet some members, get a sponsor and get an application on the waiting list.   I think Cavalier membership is capped at 400.

Rivanna is 40 minutes past Cavalier, but for $100 a year is an awesome value.  There is no cap on membership and an open membership calendar.   Again you can go shoot in matches there too as a non member.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Conservation Park
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Rivanna member here, although I don't live too far from Cavalier (never been).  

It's great!  On the rifle range, the 'crowd' is usually pretty easy going when it exists at all.  I don't bother with the plinking range as I get pistol shooting out of the way at CSA.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.shooting.org/Ranges/Virginia/Mechanicsville/Blackcreek_Shooters_Association

Looked into joining several years ago but never did. The dues were paid yearly and due in January no matter what time of the year you joined so now would be the time to check it out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a member at colonial, I agree that indoor ranges suck compared to outdoor but it's only 5 minutes from my house

since I joined I've gone from shooting 2-3 times a month to 2-4 times a week

the staff is very friendly and doesn't get all up in your shit, and I've never had any other patrons bother me or anything
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top