Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2015 10:46:42 AM EDT
I live in NoVa and have an older Rem 1100 that I need to get redone. She still shoot great and I've just replaced the gas piston and seals. Her finish is just showing the age of 35yrs. Most places I look and a few shops I've stopped in try to steer me towards Parkerizing. I realize this is the more modern look for guns and I even own a few just like that, but I was hoping to keep this old girl original. Something to pass down I suppose. If anyone knows of a reputable smithy who knows the craft of gun bluing, pls let me know. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in NoVa and have an older Rem 1100 that I need to get redone. She still shoot great and I've just replaced the gas piston and seals. Her finish is just showing the age of 35yrs. Most places I look and a few shops I've stopped in try to steer me towards Parkerizing. I realize this is the more modern look for guns and I even own a few just like that, but I was hoping to keep this old girl original. Something to pass down I suppose. If anyone knows of a reputable smithy who knows the craft of gun bluing, pls let me know. Thanks!
View Quote

The old 1100 is a classic..  Why not cold rust blue it?  Easy to do at home and superior to today's factory finishes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was a rare gun, Doug Turnbull is the only way to go. I do bluing all the time. Factory "blue" on that gun should be almost a black blue. Rust bluing is pre 1960's. It is also expensive and not a lot of guys do it and do it right. That gun is hot blued due to it being a production gun. If you want it to look almost new and not have to spend a ton of money, hot blue is the way to go. JMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top