Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
LINK

“Interstate 66 is broken. Commuters are stuck in traffic, limited in the travel choices they can make and unable to predict how long their trip will take on any given day,” said Governor McAuliffe. “Giving Virginians more choices and a better, safer travel experience on I-66 is one of my top priorities, and today I am proud to announce the beginning of that effort.”

I travel from Centreville to Crystal City every day. I'm sure that adding hot lanes could help with the congestion, I just don't want to sit through three years of construction.

The link says construction won't start until the end of 2016. I'm making a promise to myself to move by then, I hate 66 traffic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate hot lanes.  I'm not paying to drive on roads already paid for with my taxes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh, that's what they get for not allow Disney to build.

Enjoy your Rt 29/Rt15 caused congestion.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate hot lanes.  I'm not paying to drive on roads already paid for with my taxes.
View Quote
Me too!  Not only that, these hot lane projects have a strong odor of crony capitalism about them.  My understanding is that the deal the hot lane operator has with the state is that they get a certain guaranteed minimum level of revenue from the state (i.e. the taxpayer) if they don't get that in tolls.  So basically the state has taken on most or all of the business risk for the operator.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Me too!  Not only that, these hot lane projects have a strong odor of crony capitalism about them.  My understanding is that the deal the hot lane operator has with the state is that they get a certain guaranteed minimum level of revenue from the state (i.e. the taxpayer) if they don't get that in tolls.  So basically the state has taken on most or all of the business risk for the operator.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get yourself a motorcycle!  

Motorcycle are exempted to pay on the hotlanes.   We don't even need a transponder.  Plus riding the hotlane is actually safer.  there's hardly any cars on the hotlane thereby reducing your chance of being hit.

Get yourself the right gear(Aerostitch outterwear and Gerbing heated gear) and you can ride all year round with the exception of ice and snow on the ground.

My commute is from GMU to DC near the US Capitol everyday and being on the bike makes it more bearable and consistent arrival and departure time.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right, because letting those idiots tear up the Battlefield and everything around it to sell crappy merchandise, would have caused less traffic.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I still want to give anything north of 66 to maryland.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Right, because letting those idiots tear up the Battlefield and everything around it to sell crappy merchandise, would have caused less traffic.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just WTF do you think all those developments did?

Just that gated old folks golf course development off Rt 29 cut way into the part of the 2nd Manassas Battlefield that was not under NPS control.

Geography much?

The Mouse would have been much better for the area than the cluster-fuck the Gainesville/Haymarket area has become.

Old man Gossem (Gossem's Hardware, Haymarket) and his Son owned much of the land in Haymarket and along Rt 15.
He told me he could not believe they turned Disney down as he had a stack of offers from developers for the same parcels stacked a foot high in his office. He knew what was coming.....And he was right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I avoid 66 like the plague.  After commuting on it for years I moved inside the beltway so I wouldn't have to drive to work.

Looking forward to leaving the region later this year.

If I recall the major issue is when 66 hits Arlington it drops down to two lanes in either direction.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If they let the damned extra lane from I-495 out to 50 stay open always instead of only during rush hour it would help a lot
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
<---- Manassas to the Pentagon every day

Things are never going to get better. It will only get worse but McAuliffe and his Cronys will become richer.

Moving home to Florida as soon as the pieces fall into place. 8 months at the earliest 8 more years at the latest
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hear, hear!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're in Centreville you're like 15 minutes from a Manassas line VRE station which will drop you off right in Crystal City.

I ride it every day from Fburg. This morning I slept on the way in, on the way home I'll be learning a language via duolingo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
........Things are never going to get better. It will only get worse but McAuliffe and his Cronys will become richer.

Moving to Florida as soon as the pieces fall into place. 8 months at the earliest 8 more years at the latest
View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
HOT pisses me off.

They are going to open the "shoulder" lane though during heavy traffic (which is all the time...) not just rush hour.

Need to do something inside the beltway. And get rid of the fucking hov-2 inside.

And buy back the dulles toll road and get rid of the fucking booths.

And fuck McAwful with a aids infected rusty steel cheese grater.

And unfuck metro. 5 fucking dollars from wheile to ballston???

And who designed that station? What and architectural clusterfuck. No covered walk from the garage to the station? Open mesh over 66 so the fucking wind tunnel channel and car fumes whip through the walkway?

And tell MD TO UNFUCK the 270 spur and their side of the AL bridge.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Things are never going to get better. It will only get worse but McAuliffe and his Cronys will become richer.

Moving home to Florida as soon as the pieces fall into place. 8 months at the earliest 8 more years at the latest
View Quote

So jealous .

That was my plan in 2013 to leave arlington(ballston) and go south to flori-duh or texas but I got screwed by my health failing.

I detested my drive from the chantilly auto park back home every night
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Either way, the continuing development of Northen Virginia west is bound to happen.  Who do you think sets the zoning laws and promotes the development in the county?  It's the board of supervisors.  They are in bed with the developers.  It's a force you can't stop.  Northen Virginia is an economic powerhouse fueled by government jobs and continuing development.  Even a serious economic meltdown can't slow Northern Virginia's economy.  You guys complain about 66 now, but it's always been bad.  As soon as they finish a widening project, they build more houses and developments so we never catch up.  I have lived here long enough to know how it is.  Gainesville used to be a truck stop off of 66 with 4 gas stations, a 7 eleven, joes pizza, atlas steel, and that was it.  

Quoted:

Just that gated old folks golf course development off Rt 29 cut way into the part of the 2nd Manassas Battlefield that was not under NPS control.

Geography much?

The Mouse would have been much better for the area than the cluster-fuck the Gainesville/Haymarket area has become.

Old man Gossem (Gossem's Hardware, Haymarket) and his Son owned much of the land in Haymarket and along Rt 15.
He told me he could not believe they turned Disney down as he had a stack of offers from developers for the same parcels stacked a foot high in his office. He knew what was coming.....And he was right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geography much?

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Meh, just waiting 10 or so years before my house is considered to be in 'nova' and making a boatload of money and moving further out.  Although it is kind of ridiculous that I come through haymarket at 230pm every friday and traffic is stopped.  And to agree with 1srelluc, thanks for rejecting disney, retards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I avoid 66 like the plague.  After commuting on it for years I moved inside the beltway so I wouldn't have to drive to work.

Looking forward to leaving the region later this year.

If I recall the major issue is when 66 hits Arlington it drops down to two lanes in either direction.
View Quote

That is the major issue... and going along with that is the stupid "whole road is HOV Inside the Beltway" thing.  And it's because libtard Arlington County refuses to allow it to be widened.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I also heard HOV2 is going to be changed to HOV3.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS. What a crock
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you're in Centreville you're like 15 minutes from a Manassas line VRE station which will drop you off right in Crystal City.

I ride it every day from Fburg. This morning I slept on the way in, on the way home I'll be learning a language via duolingo.
View Quote

Rode VRE for the first time today.  Much nicer than metro.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate HOT lanes, I hate I-95S, I-95N and I-66 and I-64E and I-64W.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I could ride VRE but I dislike the limited schedule of only a few trains in the morning and a few in the evening.   Guess I'll stick with Metro.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't wait to leave.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So jealous .

That was my plan in 2013 to leave arlington(ballston) and go south to flori-duh or texas but I got screwed by my health failing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So jealous .

My sympathies, friend. I am not "there" yet. I only hope that I don't end up trading too many more of my "good" years (health-wise) chasing a slightly better retirement income.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you'd be ok with paying higher taxes for "free" lanes ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  I pay enough damn taxes that we taxpayers should be able to drive on any new lanes they build.  Some brain decided lets have them pay for items they already paid for and now we are stuck with HOT lanes forever.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget to cross your fingers every time you enter the lanes and hope your transponder gets read correctly so you don't rack up thousands in fines from Transurban.

My sister-in-law's house backs up to the noise barrier along the Nutley Street exit lanes.  They've already received notice they will be losing some of their backyard if this project goes through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top