Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
Link

On a quiet weeknight among the stately manors of Great Falls, ten men sat around a table in the basement of a private home last November playing high stakes poker. Suddenly, masked and heavily armed SWAT team officers from the Fairfax County Police Department burst through the door, pointed their assault rifles at the players and ordered them to put their hands on the table. The players complied. Their cash was seized, including a reported $150,000 from the game’s host, and eight of the ten players were charged with the Class 3 misdemeanor of illegal gambling, punishable by a maximum fine of $500. The minimum buy-in for the game was $20,000, with re-buys allowed if you lost your first twenty grand.

View Quote

SWAT raid with "assault rifles" over a damned poker game?

I guess they are lucky they weren't executed like Sal Culosi for the vicious crime of poker.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Class 3 misdemeanor = traffic ticket.

Also, Virginia law allows "social" gambling in private homes (i.e., the house isn't taking a cut and it's not a recurring business). The house was taking a 1.5% rake in this game, that's why it's illegal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That little 1.5% makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The SWAT raid seems excessive, without more information.

The seizure of the money, not so much. As dbrowne points out, it is against the law. And since folks are always up in arms over no criminal charges in asset forfeiture cases, here you have a clear cut example of when it's appropriate under the criminal code.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
At least they didn't kill someone this time.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/05/01/in-virginia-death-penalty-for-gambling/
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to post this.

Shooting a dentist for betting on a UVA-VT football game.  It started out as a $50 bet in which the under cover agent baited him into raising the stakes.  Strangely same under cover agent led the raid, murdered the unarmed man.  Who is making the call to SWAT raid at home gambling?  Did undercover also bait?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The purpose of SWAT is to provide protection, support, security, firepower, and rescue TO POLICE OPERATIONS in high personal risk situations where specialized tactics are necessary to minimize casualties.  Why does Fairfax continue to interpret otherwise?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
What a fucking joke.  A SWAT team for a suspected non-violent misdemeanor in a private home.  This guy who was there nailed it:

There were no guns at the table, and no resistance, the player said. “They could’ve sent a retired detective with a clipboard and gotten the same result,” he added.
View Quote

At least no one was killed this time.  I am sure the officers involved would have hated the paid vacation that involves.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also, Virginia law allows "social" gambling in private homes (i.e., the house isn't taking a cut and it's not a recurring business). The house was taking a 1.5% rake in this game, that's why it's illegal.
View Quote

The use of SWAT is the problem. I guess the boys in FFX don't have much real crime to deal with so must play commando to bust up parties of rich people.

Bad OPSEC on the hosts though, letting some new guy in no one knew.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The use of SWAT is the problem. I guess the boys in FFX don't have much real crime to deal with so must play commando to bust up parties of rich people.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless this game was the honey that was attracting bigger problems (like drugs or robberies), it's difficult to understand why this was even a police issue, let alone a SWAT issue. This is literally less of an issue than dogs pooping on lawns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shooting a dentist for betting on a UVA-VT football game.  It started out as a $50 bet in which the under cover agent baited him into raising the stakes.  Strangely same under cover agent led the raid, murdered the unarmed man.  Who is making the call to SWAT raid at home gambling?  Did undercover also bait?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strangely your claimed facts are wrong here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
8 of the 10 were charged?  Guess we know who the informants were.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was on optometrist, and it was (supposedly) an unintentional ND by a SWAT officer. Otherwise, he's not that far off. The detective did "lead" the raid and ask for SWAT. And oh ... Fairfax paid the guy's family $2 million. Despite the fact that the officer deliberately pointed the gun (an HK .45 pistol) at the guy who by all accounts was unarmed and not acting belligerently at all, and had no explanation for why it discharged, he was not criminally charged.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]
at least the police went home safe
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Re-fucking-diculous
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Bet they drove their bearcat w/ the turret.  Cause you just never know...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Need to stop having SWAT do every warrant service. It's Special Weapons And Tactics. There's nothing Special about busting up a poker game.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Need to stop having SWAT do every warrant service. It's Special Weapons And Tactics. There's nothing Special about busting up a poker game.
View Quote

When you have a hammer, eventually EVERYTHING starts looking like a nail.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#19]
You got to when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run......

If the game was anything like the ones held in a townhouse in Leesburg back in the 80s there was a shit-pile on money on the line. The townhouse was rented and the only thing that went on there was poker.

Yeah, these types of guys were providing "security" too.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ant every little wide spot in the road thinks they need a couple teams these days too. Like kids playing with matches.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I think you guys are missing why FFX went after them "Their cash was seized".  It is all about the $$.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think you guys are missing why FFX went after them "Their cash was seized".  It is all about the $$.
View Quote

Probably had the forfeiture paperwork already filled out, with a blank for the dollar amount.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Ah you get it!  FFX is a huge bureaucratic govt out of control (sounds like a spin off of the city just a mile or two north).  They have an addiction to other people's money, they were selectively feeding that addiction.

Illegal aliens, drug dealers, rapists, murders and thieves don't bring in the $$ and are more dangerous to deal with.  Let's send the SWAT team to deal with the suburbanites and optometrists.  

I don't have a problem with them enforcing the law, I have a problem with how they select the laws to enforce and how they enforce them.

Quoted:

Probably had the forfeiture paperwork already filled out, with a blank for the dollar amount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It was on optometrist, and it was (supposedly) an unintentional ND by a SWAT officer. Otherwise, he's not that far off. The detective did "lead" the raid and ask for SWAT. And oh ... Fairfax paid the guy's family $2 million. Despite the fact that the officer deliberately pointed the gun (an HK .45 pistol) at the guy who by all accounts was unarmed and not acting belligerently at all, and had no explanation for why it discharged, he was not criminally charged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you have is much closer. The doctor was unarmed, was not doing anything but standing still, and the county did settle for $2 million reportedly. But lets try this info. The detective may have requested the use of the SWAT team but he surely did not "lead" the "raid". The "raid" (is serving a search warrant and making an arrest really a raid?) was led by the SWAT team supervisor who was not the detective. The swat officer who shot and killed the doctor was not involved in the investigation and most likely had not even seen a picture of the doctor or heard his name until the night of the "raid".

From everything I have read from reliable resources, there is nothing to suggest anything other than a tragic accident, an accidental discharge. If I recall right, the police chief went on the news with in a few hours of the shooting stating it was an accident. I have read lots of claims on the internet of all kinds of BS made up of about what happened and why.

Do not get me wrong. I am not defending or debating anything about this event. I am just saying lets stick with what the facts are and not make stuff up.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What you have is much closer. The doctor was unarmed, was not doing anything but standing still, and the county did settle for $2 million reportedly. But lets try this info. The detective may have requested the use of the SWAT team but he surely did not "lead" the "raid". The "raid" (is serving a search warrant and making an arrest really a raid?) was led by the SWAT team supervisor who was not the detective. The swat officer who shot and killed the doctor was not involved in the investigation and most likely had not even seen a picture of the doctor or heard his name until the night of the "raid".

From everything I have read from reliable resources, there is nothing to suggest anything other than a tragic accident, an accidental discharge. If I recall right, the police chief went on the news with in a few hours of the shooting stating it was an accident. I have read lots of claims on the internet of all kinds of BS made up of about what happened and why.

Do not get me wrong. I am not defending or debating anything about this event. I am just saying lets stick with what the facts are and not make stuff up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was apparently accidental.  From an old Washington Post article:

Horan said the officer was aware that he should not have had a finger on the trigger and that he should not have had his .45-caliber H&K handgun pointed at anyone. "As he [the officer] says, you keep your finger straight," Horan said. "He felt his finger was straight. . . . But obviously his finger is not straight up. His finger has to be on the trigger."

Horan said the officer's gun was tested and was not at fault. He said the gun had a standard trigger pull and was only modified to add a flashlight on the barrel, but the flashlight was not in use.

The SWAT officer was initially suspended with pay pending investigation.  That investigation resulted in this official report from FCPD and a lawsuit, which FFX settled.  The officer's name was originally withheld, but he has since been identified, including in that report.  He was cleared of criminal charges, but may have faced disciplinary actions.

As far as I know, however, the real questions were never answered, including why did they use a SWAT team to apprehend Culosi?  He was never suspected of being violent or dangerous.  They had an undercover officer who had befriended him and who Culosi apparently trusted.  Thus, they had any number of ways they could have apprehended him.  In fact, the undercover had called Sal to collect winnings on the day of the shooting and Sal had come outside to pay him when the undercover gave the sign for the SWAT team to move in.

I think Sal put it best after he was shot in the brief moments before he passed away, when he reportedly looked at the undercover and said:  "Dude, what are you doing? "

What indeed Sal.  RIP.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#26]
You would think these assclowns would have learned their lesson when they accidently shot and murdered an eye doctor many years ago (around 2006?)when raiding his residence for "gambling". What's next, raiding folks bedrooms because they suspect they are engaging in consensual sodomy?  

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#27]
The article's Author has a huge axe to grind with the PD.  As for using SWAT for poker games, these are not always your friendly neighborhood games. The games are set up solely for the house's profit. Where there are stranger high stakes gambling, there are drugs, prostitution, organized crime and weapons.  In one instance they had an Asian group ( gang-related)that had several adjoining Townhouses with the walls knocked out between them to mask their activities. Gee, I would love to live in that neighborhood.  No parking and drunken chinamen barfing in your bushes.  It's all well and good just let these "victimless" crimes fly under the radar. That is until someone tries to rob one of these illegal poker games and they invade the wrong house. They've raided games with organized, govt trained armed security.  If you let these things fester, a running gun battle through an affluent cul-de-sac is bound to happen.

I know TL;DR and it doesn't feed into your cop-bashing fun so please disregard.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#28]
What gets me is they raid the eye doctor, and a GREAT FALLS home, but honestly, you'll never catch most of these cowards (I know, another county) raiding residences in Woodbridge or the nasty parts of Manassas, where they might actually find and shoot some legitimate lowlifes.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The article's Author has a huge axe to grind with the PD.  As for using SWAT for poker games, these are not always your friendly neighborhood games. The games are set up solely for the house's profit. Where there are stranger high stakes gambling, there are drugs, prostitution, organized crime and weapons.  In one instance they had an Asian group ( gang-related)that had several adjoining Townhouses with the walls knocked out between them to mask their activities. Gee, I would love to live in that neighborhood.  No parking and drunken chinamen barfing in your bushes.  It's all well and good just let these "victimless" crimes fly under the radar. That is until someone tries to rob one of these illegal poker games and they invade the wrong house. They've raided games with organized, govt trained armed security.  If you let these things fester, a running gun battle through an affluent cul-de-sac is bound to happen.

View Quote

Only thing you left out was "for the kids." You are playing big into emotion which is preposterous.

Lets be real, this is great falls. The worst thing that happens there is a random smash and grab.

There is no need to roll out the SWAT garb. Fairfax SWAT wanted to play urban commando and that is that.

Use of SWAT is out of control and the VA Legislature should do something to reign it in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Lot's of LE on this forum... Let's hear their take
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The article's Author has a huge axe to grind with the PD.

View Quote

Anybody who has a problem with unarmed, non-resisting people being shot by the police SHOULD have an axe to grind with Fairfax PD. It's not like this incident and the optometrist are the only examples in recent history.

Here's another one that's even more egregious. Even the other cops on the scene said this was a bad shoot, yet there do not appear to be any consequences for the officer and the department refuses to cooperate with the Commonwealth's Attorney's investigation. It's disgraceful.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Anybody who has a problem with unarmed, non-resisting people being shot by the police SHOULD have an axe to grind with Fairfax PD. It's not like this incident and the optometrist are the only examples in recent history.

Here's another one that's even more egregious. Even the other cops on the scene said this was a bad shoot, yet there do not appear to be any consequences for the officer and the department refuses to cooperate with the Commonwealth's Attorney's investigation. It's disgraceful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was Torres arrested and charged?  Should have been.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Kind of hard when Fairfax PD refuses to cooperate with the prosecutor assigned to decide.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#35]
It seems to me that it is really a matter of degree - if you knock on the door and they get rid of the evidence and stop running the game, no harm no foul.  If you knock on the door and they start shooting, you should shoot back.  Seems like common sense.

G
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your thoughts on Sal Culosi?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your user name, it fits.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Why don't they crash the 7-11 on Little River Turn Pike and Hummer at 0600.  All kinds of illegal shit going on there.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you let these things fester, a running gun battle through an affluent cul-de-sac is bound to happen.
View Quote

sounds rad
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmm.....this case much like the crazy ABC case is a clear wrong but the extremely bias will still defend it.  And much like bad ABC rep the FFX PD has a horrendous record.  How will they ever improve if we can't call out the problem. You want to fabricate cop bashing rather then dealing with the actual issue.  OK guy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#42]
This is exactly why I shut down my home game.  

Edit to clean it up a bit, forgot this was hometown forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top