Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2015 9:34:13 PM EDT
I just saw this posted in my Facebook feed. Apparently lifetime CCW is now allowed? Anybody have anymore insight into this??

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/26/terry-mcauliffes-gun-control-defeated-lifetime-ccws-get-green-light/
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No the bill passed out of committee but you can bet your tax returns for the last ten years that McDouchnozzle will veto it if it passes both chambers and color me skeptical but I doubt we have the votes in the Senate to override a veto of that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No the bill passed out of committee but you can bet your tax returns for the last ten years that McDouchnozzle will veto it if it passes both chambers and color me skeptical but I doubt we have the votes in the Senate to override a veto of that.
View Quote

Yeah, it would be nice to not have to renew, but ... McAwful.

The other problem is that I think there is a bill that's trying to move the CHP toward being a "NICS alternative" so that CHP holders don't have to have a check every time they pick up a gun from a dealer. NICS alternative state licenses are valid for only 5 years from the date of issuance as a NICS alternative under the ATF guidelines.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It will also need funding.

I am not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I had to choose between the two, I would prefer the background check exemption over lifetime CHP.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I had to choose between the two, I would prefer the background check exemption over lifetime CHP.
View Quote

Same here. I can deal with filing a paper every 5 years. The delay I get every time in purchasing is a bigger burden.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah and I would rather have the lifetime permits especially since the legislation introduced still requires a periodic 5 year NCIC check to be done by the state police on lifetime permit holders which will still meet the ATF requirement for NCIC exemption.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah and I would rather have the lifetime permits especially since the legislation introduced still requires a periodic 5 year NCIC check to be done by the state police on lifetime permit holders which will still meet the ATF requirement for NCIC exemption.
View Quote

This is how the money problem occurs.
Even a simple check takes time and costs money.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too damn bad. Most localities already make a profit on permits as it is.  Just look at what went on Lynchburg when they started poking around on how much it actually cost the localities to do the permit.  $100 which is what they will be charging for the new permits and is plenty of money to conduct the periodic checks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd suggest it would be less time and expense than you may think.  The rechecks could be done by a fairly simple database script, with human intervention only needed for the few that may get a flag for something.  The expensive part of such things is the fat fingering in of SSNs the first time.

Come to think of it, probably a huge net savings.  Of course, they'll look at the CHP fees as county revenue, since they're already making ,a very nice profit, even at $50.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone remind me why our CHPs aren't good enough for NICS exemption.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because VA currently doesn't require the NCIC check when we apply.  The legislation introduced this session will now require it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because VA currently doesn't require the NCIC check when we apply.  The legislation introduced this session will now require it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

The statute at subsection 18 USC 922(t)(3) doesn't actually require that, but the ATF's "implementing regulations" (27 CFR 478.102(d)) do require a NICS check as part of the state license process.

The proposed "lifetime" CHP also has a provision that requires a check (including NICS) to be done every 5 years. It will be interesting to see if the ATF accepts that for those permits as a NICS exemption, if this bill passes and doesn't get vetoed by McAsshat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah hell, is that all?  Just tell the Gov. this is an enhancement to the vetting process.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd suggest it would be less time and expense than you may think.  The rechecks could be done by a fairly simple database script, with human intervention only needed for the few that may get a flag for something.  The expensive part of such things is the fat fingering in of SSNs the first time.

Come to think of it, probably a huge net savings.  Of course, they'll look at the CHP fees as county revenue, since they're already making ,a very nice profit, even at $50.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the annual maintenance of the system and the SW running on it.

In many cases it is not the amount of money but the fact that it must be included on the budget prcess.
It gives opponents a place to jamb in a wench every budget year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In many cases it is not the amount of money but the fact that it must be included on the budget prcess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no additional maintenance or set up of a system.  The systems and their interfaces to search the NCIC system already exist at every level of law enforcement in the state.  There are thousands of searches done everyday in VA on a whole variety of date sets. There is no additional charges to run the person searches as required in the NCIC.

The only thing new would the cost of a program to run a batch search, and those already exist so it not like having to reinvent the wheel.  All the needed data to feed that is already maintained in a database by the VSP, (that is why that data shows up when LEO runs you.)

The number of checks run by the state police would probably stay the same, and more than likely would go down, since now they aren't running a permit holder every time one of us goes to buy a gun.

There is no increase in cost to the budget that I can figure out since most all that is required to implement this is already in place and any increase would be covered by the doubling of the permit fees that is provided for in the legislation.  Any crying about this now by the VSP or opponents has no basis and if they did were are the hard numbers?  Answer:  They have none.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd settle for a CHP that isn't a fucking business card.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is pretty rediculous. Most states have one that looks like a drivers license complete with a picture. Why do we get an easy to damage paper card??
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is pretty rediculous. Most states have one that looks like a drivers license complete with a picture. Why do we get an easy to damage paper card??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's cheap to produce, therefore more profit.  Plus no special equipment or operator training needed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will laminate it for free after you sign it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do ALL clerks do that? Or only some of them?

My first MA LTC was done on a typewriter and had a cut-out photo stuck in it before laminating, and was the size of a 3x5 card. It sucked in every way imaginable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My first MA LTC was done on a typewriter and had a cut-out photo stuck in it before laminating, and was the size of a 3x5 card. It sucked in every way imaginable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think all of them do. I got my first permit in FFX county. They laminated it for me. I renewed last year in Spotsy and they did it for me as well. The permit came in the mail, I took it to the clerk and got it laminated while my g/f was dropping off a request for a duplicate permit. The lady was very nice about it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
No.  Not every county does it.  Neither of the two counties I have had a permit in did jack except make you drive to the clerks office during business hours to pick up the permit.  I had to have it done on my own.

Pretty sad that during my time in PA Philly issued me a credit card type permit with photo for for the grand sum of $20.  Now tell me again that no one is making money and I'll sell you a bridge.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had a buddy who laminated before signing....  

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is no additional maintenance or set up of a system.  The systems and their interfaces to search the NCIC system already exist at every level of law enforcement in the state.  There are thousands of searches done everyday in VA on a whole variety of date sets. There is no additional charges to run the person searches as required in the NCIC.

The only thing new would the cost of a program to run a batch search, and those already exist so it not like having to reinvent the wheel.  All the needed data to feed that is already maintained in a database by the VSP, (that is why that data shows up when LEO runs you.)

The number of checks run by the state police would probably stay the same, and more than likely would go down, since now they aren't running a permit holder every time one of us goes to buy a gun.

There is no increase in cost to the budget that I can figure out since most all that is required to implement this is already in place and any increase would be covered by the doubling of the permit fees that is provided for in the legislation.  Any crying about this now by the VSP or opponents has no basis and if they did were are the hard numbers?  Answer:  They have none.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either a person has to do something or a script must be created and then hits reviewed.
Nothing happens in government without a budget to support it.

There is no free lunch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Too damn bad. Most localities already make a profit on permits as it is.  Just look at what went on Lynchburg when they started poking around on how much it actually cost the localities to do the permit.  $100 which is what they will be charging for the new permits and is plenty of money to conduct the periodic checks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the law stated they could not charge more than $50.00. Did something change?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#29]
The new lifetime permit fee goes up to $100 with the legislation introduced this year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#30]

The proposed "lifetime" CHP also has a provision that requires a check (including NICS) to be done every 5 years. It will be interesting to see if the ATF accepts that for those permits as a NICS exemption, if this bill passes and doesn't get vetoed by McAsshat
View Quote

Federal law requires permits to not be valid longer than five years to be useda a NICS bypass, so a lifetime, even with NICS checks run regularly, would not meet that requirement.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The new lifetime permit fee goes up to $100 with the legislation introduced this year.
View Quote

Ah... the sweetener for Dems.  They never think past their next election anyhow, so it just might work.  McAsshole will veto it though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Federal law requires permits to not be valid longer than five years to be useda a NICS bypass, so a lifetime, even with NICS checks run regularly, would not meet that requirement.
View Quote

Where in VA have you been able to use the current permits as a bypass ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ol' Zoomie never said you could do that. All he said was that a lifetime permit would not be valid for a NICS check bypass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Is it possible to have a simple bill put through to require a NICS check for all new and renewal applications for current 5 year CHP?  I think that would be a bill everybody could agree on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is it possible to have a simple bill put through to require a NICS check for all new and renewal applications for current 5 year CHP?  I think that would be a bill everybody could agree on.
View Quote

That would be nice. It's also possible that the "lifetime" bill could be marked up and limited to that change, dropping the lifetime permit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The proposed "lifetime" CHP also has a provision that requires a check (including NICS) to be done every 5 years. It will be interesting to see if the ATF accepts that for those permits as a NICS exemption, if this bill passes and doesn't get vetoed by McAsshat

I think you're right about that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would be nice. It's also possible that the "lifetime" bill could be marked up and limited to that change, dropping the lifetime permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why they have wording in the current legislation that maintains the 5 years permits at the current cost.  The VCDL emails have explained this in detail.

I think we could still get around the lifetime permit/NICS check by still having a permit that we apply for once, have an NICS check run every five years (which is still in the lifetime permit legislation) and a new permit sent to you automatically if you pass the NICS check. No more hassle having to deal with applications or difficult clerks and it would still meet the ATF requirement.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I confirmed that yesterday when the ATF came by the shop.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think we could still get around the lifetime permit/NICS check by still having a permit that we apply for once, have an NICS check run every five years (which is still in the lifetime permit legislation) and a new permit sent to you automatically if you pass the NICS check. No more hassle having to deal with applications or difficult clerks and it would still meet the ATF requirement.
View Quote

But, if it looks like the lifetime permit may fail, we can drop the lifetime part but keep the NICS check language.  Still a win in my opinion with no more background checks for CHP holders.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Ol' Zoomie never said you could do that. All he said was that a lifetime permit would not be valid for a NICS check bypass.
View Quote

That's what I get for reading so early
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But, if it looks like the lifetime permit may fail, we can drop the lifetime part but keep the NICS check language.  Still a win in my opinion with no more background checks for CHP holders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NCIS check approval has separate legislation and is not relying on the lifetime permits bills.  The NICS check bill is HB2029 and the lifetime permits is HB1359 and SB689
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The NCIS check approval has separate legislation and is not relying on the lifetime permits bills.  The NICS check bill is HB2029 and the lifetime permits is HB1359 and SB689
View Quote

Dang, I missed that one! But if HB2029 passes and HB1359/SB689 also pass, HB2029 is automatically void.  Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just make sure it gets sold as a "enhanced background check for CHP applicants," and no mention is made about it becoming a NICS exemption.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just make sure it gets sold as a "enhanced background check for CHP applicants," and no mention is made about it becoming a NICS exemption.
View Quote

Exactly.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dang, I missed that one! But if HB2029 passes and HB1359/SB689 also pass, HB2029 is automatically void.  Or am I missing something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't confuse the two issues as one.  No matter what happens with lifetime permits the NICS check issue needs to needs to be addressed.  IF 2029 passes it will do that.

If the two lifetime permits bills get through it just happens to have the language in it for a check every 5 years for those lifetime permit holders which would revert to the NICS check if the other bill passes.

Both bills would cause different parts of some of the same sections (those dealing with permits) of the VA code to be rewritten.  If you really want to see how it is written look up the pdf files on the legislation tracker for the GA.  I am not going to post it here.  Way too long but the PDF files show what is being changed.  How that exactly that would happen if both bills get through I don't know the specifics.  Maybe someone else knows.  But I would guess that the code would be rewritten combining the new code from all the bills.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't confuse the two issues as one.  No matter what happens with lifetime permits the NICS check issue needs to needs to be addressed.  IF 2029 passes it will do that.

If the two lifetime permits bills get through it just happens to have the language in it for a check every 5 years for those lifetime permit holders which would revert to the NICS check if the other bill passes.

Both bills would cause different parts of some of the same sections (those dealing with permits) of the VA code to be rewritten.  If you really want to see how it is written look up the pdf files on the legislation tracker for the GA.  I am not going to post it here.  Way too long but the PDF files show what is being changed.  How that exactly that would happen if both bills get through I don't know the specifics.  Maybe someone else knows.  But I would guess that the code would be rewritten combining the new code from all the bills.
View Quote

I think we are on the same page.  As long as the lifetime permits are re-issued every 5 years, ATF/FBI will approve our CHP as a NICS exemption.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think we are on the same page.  As long as the lifetime permits are re-issued every 5 years, ATF/FBI will approve our CHP as a NICS exemption.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes we are now but the current lifetime permit bills doesn't address the need to reissue the permit every five years.  That would need to be added for it to meet the needs of the ATF.  Instead the legislation keeps the old 5 year permits allowing people to use that to meet the ATF requirement.  As I said earlier they should scrap that shit part and just go to a lifetime permit system where you get a new permit sent to you every five years after the NCIS check is done and tell the ATF to get bent since we meet the requirement they set forth.  But that would be too easy and there are already people bitching about lifetime permits for various reasons even from within our own community.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#48]
One question on my mind is, do we lose any reciprocity with a lifetime permit as opposed to a five year one?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

not me, my checks go through in under 5 minutes every time and a reoccurring maintenance task (all maintenance sucks!) that occurs every 5 years is way too easy to forget

that said, I think we'd be more likely to actually get the check exemption vs. lifetime chp
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#50]
It'dead Jim.

Makes no difference now since both the senate and house lifetime permit bills are dead.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top