Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2015 9:15:51 AM EDT
Just a heads up and hopefully not a dupe.  I saw this on the local newspaper website this morning:

Roanoke Times - Proposed New Gun Laws

It looks like HB1604 went to a House committee on 1/8.

and this one in the Senate SB768.

Hopefully neither proposals will go anywhere but I thought you may want to know.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully VCDL is curb stomping these.

Neither Newman nor Garrett responded to my emails about voting against Mcauliffe's anti gun agenda.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Neither Newman nor Garrett responded to my emails about voting against Mcauliffe's anti gun agenda.
View Quote

Make sure to be there on Monday at Lobby Day to reinforce the point.  VCDL can't do what it does without members who send emails, make phone calls, and show up at Lobby Day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I must've missed it but, where is the VCDL 2015 bill tracker?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I must've missed it but, where is the VCDL 2015 bill tracker?
View Quote

I don't think there is one yet, since the session doesn't start until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Make sure to be there on Monday at Lobby Day to reinforce the point.  VCDL can't do what it does without members who send emails, make phone calls, and show up at Lobby Day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will unfortunately be unable to attend due to work schedule, I did however donate some money with my last paycheck and will try to donate a little with each paycheck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just a heads up and hopefully not a dupe.  I saw this on the local newspaper website this morning:

Hopefully neither proposals will go anywhere but I thought you may want to know.

View Quote

So if sb768 were to become law(which it won't) that means if someone at the range wants to try out my new  tacticool AR, I would be guilty of a crime if I let them fire a few rounds?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So if sb768 were to become law(which it won't) that means if someone at the range wants to try out my new  tacticool AR, I would be guilty of a crime if I let them fire a few rounds?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummmmm. Did you read the bill? Try paragraph D, Section 5.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#9]
In today's email:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:00 PM
Subject: VA-ALERT: VCDL Legislative Update 1/15/15

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

The General Assembly convened on Wednesday.  Most of the gun bills have been introduced, but there could be more coming next week.  There are lots of really excellent gun bills this year and lot of really horrible ones, too.

I have some excellent news!  The make up of the key committees that deal with gun bills in both houses is excellent.  Subcommittees look excellent as well.  There is no "death-star subcommittee" (where good bills are intentionally sent to die) in the House Militia, Police, and Public Safety committee this year.  

We will be watching for "pocket vetoes," where a pro-gun bill is intentionally locked away by the Speaker of the House or a committee chairman, so that the bill is never heard in either committee or subcommittee and, thus, never voted on.

Below is a sampling of the best-of-the-best and the worst-of-the-worst of the bills introduced so far.  To see all of the gun bills and their status, go to the VCDL Legislative Tracking Tool by clicking here.  It will be updated daily:

http://www2.vcdl.org/webapps/vcdl/2015leg.html

BEST-OF-THE-BEST (so far)

SB 1132, Senator Garrett, HB 1773, Delegate Berg, allows a concealed handgun permit holder, during normal school hours, to store a loaded, concealed handgun in his or her vehicle and then exit the vehicle.  After normal school hours or on holidays or weekends, a concealed handgun permit holder can possess a concealed handgun on school property, including buildings and grounds.  Not requiring the concealed handgun to be unloaded when leaving it secured in a vehicle is a safety measure as it minimizes the chances of an accidental discharge, which is more likely to happen when loading/unloading a gun.  Allowing concealed handgun permit holders to carry after school hours allows a person their right to self-defense, something that some states, such as Utah, allow during school hours.

HB 1329, Delegate Ware, R. Lee, Jr., changes the concealed handgun law to honor the concealed handgun permits from all other states if the permit holder is at least 21 years old.  The out-of-state permit holder will have to also show government-issued photo-identification at the request of a law-enforcement officer.  By honoring all other states, Virginia permits will be honored in more states, including Georgia, New Hampshire, and Colorado.

HB 1389, Delegate Berg, prohibits any public institution of higher education from preventing a person with a valid concealed handgun permit from carrying a concealed handgun on property owned by the institution.  This bill will strongly discourage a criminal from attempting a massacre like the one at Virginia Tech in 2007.  Virginia’s colleges and universities will no longer be “gun-free zones,” where good people are not allowed to defend themselves and others from evil-doers.

HB 1390, Delegate Berg, is a state-agency firearms preemption bill, which would make Virginia’s firearms laws consistent, with all laws, regulations, and ordinances based on specific statutes created by the General Assembly.  Currently, unlike localities, state agencies can create firearms regulations without having to get prior approval from the General Assembly.  This creates a confusing, and sometimes conflicting, set of gun regulations.  The bill makes exceptions for correction facilities and the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.

HB 2009, Delegate LaRock, requires the chief law-enforcement officer to certify a request for the transfer of a firearm that is covered under the National Firearms Act (NFA), unless the officer knows the person receiving the firearms is prohibited from doing so.  This bill will make ownership of NFA firearms uniform across the state.  Currently the chief law-enforcement officers in some jurisdictions refuse to do any such certification, while others do them as a matter of course.

HB 2027, Delegate Wilt, allows a person in lawful possession of a handgun to carry that handgun in the non-secure area of an airport terminal.  Signs will be posted before entering the secure area warning that the area is a secure area.  The terminal area is much like a mall – there is no screening of those entering as they may be simply dropping off/picking up a passenger, renting a vehicle, or purchasing tickets for a future flight.  This bill as introduced is preferable to HB 1772 as introduced.

HB 2029, Delegate Wilt, re-appropriates concealed handgun permit fees between the Circuit Court Clerk and law enforcement.  It also requires a National Instant Check System background check be done on concealed handgun permit holders, which will then allow the permit holders to purchase firearms without needing a background check, as per federal law.

WORST-OF-THE-WORST (so far)

SB 694, Senator Marsden, HB 1604 Delegate Plum, requires all private sales at gun shows go through a background check. The Virginia State Crime Commission did not recommend this approach when asked seven years ago.  A gun show may not even be able to find a willing dealer to do such background checks due to the paperwork and the mandatory 20-year retention of that paperwork.  The private sale background check requirement is just the first step in ultimately setting up a “Universal Background Check” scheme that can only be enforced by means of a “Universal Gun Registration.” This bill will unnecessarily raise the price of privately sold guns.  It will also make it much harder to hold a gun show in Virginia, which brings a lot of revenue to the Commonwealth.  Finally, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Justice, less than 1% of guns used in crimes are purchased at gun shows, so this bill will have no noticeable affect on crime.

SB 768, Senator McEachin, requires that all private sales of firearms go through a federal firearms licensed dealer (“Universal Background Check”).  This bill will do nothing about crime, but will make it harder and more expensive for a citizen to sell or trade one of his firearms to another citizen.  No dealer is required to make such a transfer, possibly making a transfer all but impossible or not possible in a timely manner.  No fee limit is placed on what a dealer can charge for such a transfer, either.  Finally, this bill will also lead to an inevitable “Universal Registration” scheme at some point in the future to provide for enforcement.

SB 798, Senator Lock, HB 1671, Delegate Simon, HB 1977, Delegate Morrissey, reinstates the old “One Handgun a Month” law.  There was no evidence to show that the old One Handgun a Month law did anything to reduce crime or gun trafficking.  Improvements in the background check system have also made the bill unnecessary.

SB 909, Senator Howell, HB 2045, Delegate Filler-Corn, makes possessing a firearm illegal if that person has a restraining or protective order against them.  The current law allows a person to be able to possess a firearm to protect themselves, but not purchase or transport a firearm, nor have a concealed handgun permit, while the order is in effect.  During divorce proceedings it is not unusual for both parties to have a protect order issued against each other.  Sometimes the order can be issued ex-parte, so the person may not even be aware that their guns at home are now unlawful for them to possess.  The Commonwealth should not take away the right of either party to at least be able to protect themselves in their own home.

SB 912, Senator Wexton, creates a new “temporary firearms restriction order,” which prohibits the purchase, possession, or transportation of a firearm for 90-days if a person has an emergency custody order issued against them.  The concept is unnecessary as the person will not have access to his firearms during the time that the emergency custody order is in effect (up to 8 hours) or, if a temporary detention order (TDO) is issued, for a total of 80 hours.  In the case that a TDO is determined not to be necessary or the TDO shows the person does not need treatment, the person currently retains his or her gun rights.  With this bill, those rights would be taken away for 90 days, even though the person was not deemed to require treatment.

SB 943, Senator Favola, HB 2085, Delegate Murphy, takes away the right of someone to possess or transport a firearm for certain misdemeanor convictions.  Misdemeanors are not meant to take away someone’s civil rights because, by definition, they are minor crimes.

SB 1108, Senator Puller, HB 1548, Delegate Hope, revokes the concealed handgun permit for a person who is delinquent in child support payments.  A person who has fallen on financial hard times should not have their lives endangered by having their right to self-defense abrogated.  There is no logical connection between child support payments and the right to carry a concealed handgun for self-defense any more than there is a connection between failing to pay a water bill and having a drivers license.

SB 1178, Senator Ebbin, changes a plethora of code sections to increase penalties and remove rights for firearm owners, solving problems that don’t exist. Particularly objectionable parts in no particular order are: 1) Further victimize a person whose gun has been stolen by opening them up to civil liability for not have secured the gun against such theft.  2) Removes the exemption which allows a concealed handgun permit holder to have a loaded firearm with more than a 20 round magazine in certain localities.  3) Adds the requirement to fingerprint concealed handgun applicants, something which was removed as a requirement years ago.  4) Removes the option for firearms training online.  5) Creates a requirement for “Universal Background Checks.”  6) Reinstates the One Handgun a Month law, BUT makes it One Firearm a Month and removes any exemption for concealed handgun permit holders.

HB 1909, Delegate Lopez, bans magazines which will hold more that 20 rounds of ammunition.  Three such magazines acquired before July 1, 2015 can be kept if registered, but the rest must be given up or sold.  Such registration must be done annually and storage for the magazine must be made available for the State Police to inspect.  This bill is one that a police state would support.  According to the FBI just a little over 300 people were killed with long guns in their latest report on crime.  Of those, only a fraction would have had a magazine that would hold more than 20 rounds.  This bill would do nothing for crime, but would put an onerous responsibility on gun owners to register the magazines every year.  Under the Fifth Amendment, criminals would not have to register their magazines.  The requirement for police to inspect the storage area for the magazines would violate the Fourth Amendment as well.

REMINDERS!!

Lobby Day is THIS Monday!  Details are here (including bus information and pre-Lobby Day dinner on Sunday - space still available for both right now):

https://vcdl.org/2015LobbyDay/

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
IMPORTANT: It is our intention to honor all "remove" requests promptly.
To unsubscribe from this list, or change the email address where you receive messages, please go to:
https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=700018&id_secret=700018-67123f3d [https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=700018&id_secret=700018-67123f3d]

Modify Your Subscription: https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=700018&id_secret=700018-67123f3d
Powered by Listbox: http://www.listbox.com
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Just emailed Garret and Newman again (they did not respond to my email a month ago) telling them as their constituent, to stand against Mcaulliffe and the democrats anti 2nd amendment initiatives.

Disappointed in both that I haven't heard from them. Newman did send a letter in the mail during the Sandy Hook stuff, but Garret has always seemed squishy to me. I don't believe he answers the VCDL questionnaire.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
"HB 2009, Delegate LaRock, requires the chief law-enforcement officer to certify a request for the transfer of a firearm that is covered under the National Firearms Act (NFA), unless the officer knows the person receiving the firearms is prohibited from doing so.  This bill will make ownership of NFA firearms uniform across the state.  Currently the chief law-enforcement officers in some jurisdictions refuse to do any such certification, while others do them as a matter of course."

This makes me happy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My band played a support dinner for Delegate Mark Berg last week who put up a couple of the progun bills on the vcdl tracker. Really great guy, spoke very well in his speech about concealed carry and trusting the law abiding citizens and their God given rights to defend themselves especially on college campuses (HB1467 ) . This guy is a true friend of gun rights.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#13]
ACTION ITEMS:

Click here to send a pre-written message to your Delegate to support HB 1666, HB 1329, HB 2029, and HB 1773:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MyDelegate&PRE=15-HB1666

Click here to send a pre-written message to you Senator to support SB 948, SB 848, SB 1132, and SB 1137:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MySenator&PRE=15-SB948

Let's roll!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ACTION ITEMS:

Click here to send a pre-written message to your Delegate to support HB 1666, HB 1329, HB 2029, and HB 1773:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MyDelegate&PRE=15-HB1666

Click here to send a pre-written message to you Senator to support SB 948, SB 848, SB 1132, and SB 1137:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MySenator&PRE=15-SB948

Let's roll!
View Quote

Done and Done.
Not that it matters, Mcshithead will veto it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ACTION ITEMS:

Let's roll!
View Quote

Sent both, with a change:   from "..I urge you to support..." to "...I expect you to support..."

Won't do any good, since both my Del and Senator are dyed in the wool libtards.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Got a canned email from Newman's assistant stating he is a strong supporter of the 2nd and will continue to be. It was in response to a previous email about McAulife, not related to the VCDL mailing. At least his assistant apologized for not answering my first email.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:45 PM

Subject: VA-ALERT: URGENT Legislative Action Items! 1/25/15

1. Large numbers of gun bills coming up Monday!

On Monday morning the Senate Courts of Justice committee is going to hear 6 pro-gun bills and 12 anti-gun bills.

To send an email to your senator SUPPORTING the pro-gun bills, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/o6pcvnd

To send an email to your senator OPPOSING the anti-gun bills, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/pmjcjhk

The committee meets on 8:00 AM in Senate Room B.  If you wish to come to show support, please do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:45 PM

Subject: VA-ALERT: URGENT Legislative Action Items! 1/25/15

1. Large numbers of gun bills coming up Monday!

On Monday morning the Senate Courts of Justice committee is going to hear 6 pro-gun bills and 12 anti-gun bills.

To send an email to your senator SUPPORTING the pro-gun bills, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/o6pcvnd

To send an email to your senator OPPOSING the anti-gun bills, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/pmjcjhk

The committee meets on 8:00 AM in Senate Room B.  If you wish to come to show support, please do.

View Quote

Done and Done.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Done and done.

Except I changed urged to expect.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Done
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 4:49 PM
Subject: VA-ALERT: VCDL bats 1000 today! 1/26/15

Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

Great job VCDL!  Every bad gun bill heard in the Senate Courts of Justice today was killed and all the pro-gun bills, except one that was withdrawn for the year, was passed out of committee!

The following bills passed out of committee:

SB 689, Sen. Black, lifetime concealed handgun permits

SB 1132, Sen. Garrett, allows concealed handgun permit holders to be able to carry a concealed handgun on K-12 school property after school hours

SB 1137, Sen. Garrett, allows concealed handgun permit holders to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle, regardless of local ordinances to the contrary

SB 1155, Sen. Edwards, requires police make a reasonable effort to return a recovered stolen gun to its owner.

SB 1191, Sen. Norment, requires that a person must KNOWINGLY possess a firearm on K-12 school property before they can be guilty of a felony charge

The following bill was withdrawn:

SB 828, Sen. Black, allows PRIVATE K-12 schools to set their own firearms policies

The following bills are DEAD:

SB 694, Sen. Marsden, "gun show loophole" bill goes after non-existing loophole.  Gun sales procedures are the same inside a gun show as they are outside a gun show

SB 768, Sen. McEachin, "universal background check" bill which would put an onerous burden on those selling their personal firearms.  The only way to enforce such a law would be to also have "universal registration"

SB 798, Sen. Locke, reinstates the old "One Handgun a Month" law, which wasn't shown to be effective in stopping gun trafficking

SB 909, Sen. Howell, takes away the right of a person to protect themselves in their own home if they have a protective order issued against them.  Such orders can be ex parte and are frequently given to both parties during a divorce

SB 912, Sen. Wexton, takes away a person's gun rights for 90 days if an emergency custody order is issued, even if the order was unwarranted

SB 943, Sen. Favola, takes away a person's gun rights for certain MISDEMEANORS.  Misdemeanors are not meant to take away civil rights.  This bill initially looked to have passed out of committee, but a full vote recount showed that it failed and failed badly

SB 993, Sen. Lucas, another "gun show loophole" bill

SB 1108, Sen. Puller, takes away a person's concealed handgun permit for being delinquent in child support payments

SB 1178, Sen. Ebbin, a massive hodgepodge of gun control schemes, from creating a "One FIREARM a Month" law to "universal background checks" and almost everything in between

SB 1179, Sen. Ebbin, has the government determining a child's maturity instead of the parents doing so, making it illegal for a 4-year-old to do such things as shoot a BB gun under parental supervision

SB 1215, Sen. Ebbin, would make a person who, for example, sells a gun that has been in their family for 100 years, a criminal if that gun has ivory grips or an ivory inlay.

SB 1429, Sen. Barker, takes away gun rights from someone who is deemed a "substantial risk" to himself or others.  Current mental-health laws already cover this.

Also Delegate Webert’s bill to recognize gun rights restored in other states, HB 2286, passed out of the House Courts of Justice criminal subcommittee

One of the Moms Demand Action representatives was behaving badly during her testimony in the Senate Courts of Justice by berating some of the Republican committee members.  She was publicly reprimanded by the Committee Chairman, Senator Norment.  

Just the antis being themselves!  ;-)
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Whats the word with the reciprocity of CWPs with a few of the states that currently dont honor VA's because VA doesnt recognize theres?  

I know GA and a few other Deep South states were on that list.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:41 PM
Subject: VA-ALERT: Urgent Legislative Action Item! 1/28/15

1.  URGENT ACTION ITEM:  Gun bills to be heard tomorrow in House subcommittee!

On Thursday, January 29, at 4 PM, the House Militia, Police, and Public Safety subcommittee #1 will be hearing ELEVEN anti-gun bills in 8th Floor West Conference Room in the General Assembly Building.  If you want to come to show support for killing these bills, please try to get there as early as you can.

URGENT ACTION ITEM

Let's all send an email to our Delegate to oppose these bills.  Click on this link to send a pre-written (but editable) email to your Delegate (our computer figures out who your Delegate is based on your address):

http://tinyurl.com/k2skouq
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#24]
My thoughts on Senate Bill 943, (sponsored by Sen. Barbara A. Favola, D-Arlington) that would prohibit gun possession for anyone convicted in the state of stalking, assault and battery, or sexual battery of a family member or household member.  that actually seems to have advanced

SB 943 Firearms; possession or transportation following convictions for certain misdemeanor crimes.

Introduced by: Barbara A. Favola | all patrons    ...    notes | add to my profiles
SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:

Possession or transportation of firearms following convictions for certain misdemeanor crimes; restoration of rights; penalty. Prohibits a person who has been convicted of stalking, assault and battery of a family or household member, or sexual battery from possessing or transporting a firearm. A person who violates this provision is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. The bill provides for a process by which a person convicted of such crimes may petition the circuit court for a reinstatement of his rights to possess or transport a firearm.
View Quote

At first glance, prohibiting folks with convictions for stalking, assault and battery, or sexual battery of a family member or household member- seems like a good idea, but keep in mind these are misdemeanors, and this sets a dangerous precedent. Would folks get behind prohibiting folks with a misdemeanor marijuana conviction from access to the voting booth or abortion rights? Obviously they have clouded judgement or they wouldn't have been convicted of such a thing.  If the latter were proposed there would be a great cry about injustice. There are differences between penalties for misdemeanors and felonies for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand your point. However, the crime of assault and/or battery of a member of your household or member of your family is already considered as "domestic violence", and under federal law makes the guilty party a prohibited person FOR LIFE.
As a result, this bill will accomplish absolutely nothing, and should be squashed like a bug.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:53 PM

ACTION ITEM: We need to kill Senator Favola's misdemeanors take away gun-rights bill!
ACTION ITEM: We need to support some gun bills in the House 4.  Some pro-gun bills pass the Senate and head to the House

ACTION ITEM: We need to kill Senator Favola's misdemeanors take away gun-rights bill!

I have finally seen the new wording on Senator Favola's misdemeanors take away gun-rights bill, SB 943, and it is NOT good.  This is the bill that was brought back from the dead, highly modified, and passed out of committee.  It is going to the Finance Committee, where it could be killed based on funding.  If it survives the Finance Committee, it will then head to the Senate Floor for a vote.

Let's get cracking to stop this bad bill in its tracks!

Click here to send a message to your Senator to kill SB 943:

http://tinyurl.com/ppc7x6b

ACTION ITEM: We need to support some gun bills in the House

We need to tell our Delegates to support the remaining key pro-gun bills in the House.  Click here to do so:

http://tinyurl.com/lol5krw
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 4:34 PM
Subject: VA-ALERT: Urgent Legislative Update! 2/15/15

Tomorrow, Monday, February 16, THREE important pro-gun bills are going to be heard in the Senate Courts of Justice committee at 8 AM in Senate Room B:

HB 1329, Delegate Ware, will honor concealed handgun permits from all other states.  Doing so will add Georgia, New Hampshire, and Colorado as states that will honor Virginia permits.  It will also encourage gun owners from other states to spend their vacation dollars in Virginia.  EIGHTEEN states already honor all permits and many have been doing so successfully for over a decade.

HB 1666, Delegate Fowler, fixes an inequity in Virginia law where someone who has had their civil rights restored for a conviction in Virginia cannot get their gun rights restored if they don't live in Virginia any more.  This bill is important as some states, such as North Carolina, require the firearms rights to be restored in the state where the person was convicted.

HB 2029, Delegate Wilt, adds a National Instant Check System (NICS) background check to the background checks done on a concealed handgun permit holder.  As a result, permit holders will not need to go through a NICS background check when purchasing a firearm per federal law.  Many states have used such a system for years.

ACTION ITEMS (3):

1.  Send a message to your Senator supporting the current pro-gun bills in the Senate by clicking here:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MySenator&PRE=15-HB1329

or

http://tinyurl.com/o2f4le6

2.  Send a message to your Delegate supporting the current pro-gun bills in the House by clicking here:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MyDelegate&PRE=15-SB1130

or

http://tinyurl.com/pusnxnl

3.  If you can attend the Courts of Justice committee meeting on Monday to show support for pro-gun bills, please do so.  I will have some Guns Save Lives stickers for you to wear.

Let's roll!

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Done and Done

Not that Mcdouchenozzle will sign anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top