Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 8:37:11 AM EDT
According to this morning's WaPo, our illustrious governor has proposed the following new gun restrictions:

1. Re-introduction of the one-gun-per-month bullshit that was first introduced by Gov. Wilder.
2. All transfers at gun shows would have to have a background check.
3. Gun show promoters would be prohibited from advertising that guns could be bought with no background check.
4. Concealed handgun permits would be revoked for those parents who are delinquent on their child support payments.
5. Possession of any firearm would be prohibited for any person convicted of stalking, brandishing a firearm, and several other misdemeanors.
6. Dealers would be required to contact State Police before purchasing any firearm to check if the gun was stolen or used in a crime.

I hope that no one here is surprised by this.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there solid enough opposition in state congress to send this legislation home with it's tail between it's legs?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
"These common-sense proposals will keep guns out of the hands of criminals, will keep our communities safe, and will help to build a new Virginia economy."

Sure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
They're going nowhere in the GA, though I don't really see the problem with #6. Keeps dealers from becoming a "fence" for stolen guns.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
He's blaming VT and Sandy hook. Which didn't involve any of these issues.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Just one more reason to join VCDL at Lobby Day this January in Richmond.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there solid enough opposition in state congress to send this legislation home with it's tail between it's legs?
View Quote

Both houses of the General Assembly are controlled by Republicans and there are a few pro gun democrats as well.

The Governors bill won't make it out of committee.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see any of those bills going anywhere. He may be able to brow beat the child support one through, unless the antis try to tack several other parts on. Then that would fail as well.

Overall, the list is rather tame for the upcoming session. We usually see far worse being put forth by the antis.
View Quote

And we will see far worse proposed by the Anti's so McAwful's bill looks "reasonable".
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They're going nowhere in the GA, though I don't really see the problem with #6. Keeps dealers from becoming a "fence" for stolen guns.
View Quote
Any evidence that that is happening NOW with any regularity?

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a TON of evidence that theft is a primary source of firearms for criminals, and that they are among the juiciest of targets. It's difficult to believe that they're NOT fencing at least some of them to get cash. At least anecdotally, yes, it does happen and it causes problems for mutiple parties.

In addition to deterring fencing, it would also serve as another way to return stolen guns to their rightful owners, and would keep someone like us from unknowingly buying a stolen gun from a dealer which might have to be forfeited later. It puts a small burden on gun dealers, but doesn't burden lawful gun owners in any way.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is a TON of evidence that theft is a primary source of firearms for criminals, and that they are among the juiciest of targets. It's difficult to believe that they're NOT fencing at least some of them to get cash. At least anecdotally, yes, it does happen and it causes problems for mutiple parties.

In addition to deterring fencing, it would also serve as another way to return stolen guns to their rightful owners, and would keep someone like us from unknowingly buying a stolen gun from a dealer which might have to be forfeited later. It puts a small burden on gun dealers, but doesn't burden lawful gun owners in any way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"serve as another way to return stolen guns to their rightful owners"

Only if they have been reported or the"owner" is the first retail purchaser of the gun.
After that they are pretty untraceable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
"Vote Sarvis because Cucchinelli will ban teh blow jobzz!!!"

It doesnt have a chance in hell of passing the GA. The only part I can kind of agree with is the child support one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah well terry can wish in one hand for passing those and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never been divorced so it doesn't apply to me, but what does child support have to do with the second amendment? What if I'm late paying personal property tax? Doctor bill? Alimony?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Only if they have been reported or the"owner" is the first retail purchaser of the gun.
View Quote

How do you think they get put into the NCIC "stolen gun" database in the first place? The "rightful owner" reports it and it get puts in there.

If it doesn't get reported by the owner as stolen, it doesn't get put into NCIC and thus this sort of check wouldn't flag it, anyway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've never been divorced so it doesn't apply to me, but what does child support have to do with the second amendment? What if I'm late paying personal property tax? Doctor bill? Alimony?
View Quote

They suspend every other kind of license if you're delinquent. Driver's license, professional licenses, etc.

Yes, that's right. You owe money, so naturally the solution is to revoke permission to drive to a job, or earn money in a licensed profession. Brilliant.

Child support enforcement (DCSE) are true psychos.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]

what does child support have to do with the second amendment?
View Quote
apparently if you're a deadbeat who's behind on his support payments, you're more likely to knock over a 7-11

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
apparently if you're a deadbeat who's behind on his support payments, you're more likely to knock over a 7-11

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thus foreclosing on yet another source of income to actually pay the arrearage.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Bring it you Klinton cock gobling piece of shit. Emailed both my rep and senator, both R's, one is a little squishy and I believe refuses to answer the VCDL questionnaire.
Agreed that this bill is supposed to make Mcauliffe seem moderate. Fucker will try everything he can.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Once again, we can thank the deluded Sarvis voters for putting him in office.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the far-right lunatic fringe of the Republican party who forced Cooch down our throats, while at the same time fucking over Bill Bolling (who could have beat the shit out of McAwful) had nothing to do with it, I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And the far-right lunatic fringe of the Republican party who forced Cooch down our throats, while at the same time fucking over Bill Bolling (who could have beat the shit out of McAwful) had nothing to do with it, I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Bolling supported Terry.

So he was evidently willing to throw away his 2nd Amendment views.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard of an anecdote other than from an actual fence.  All that shit McAuliffe is proposing is just a stupid solution to a nonexistent problem (other than the stalking one).  Even the "brandishing", WTF is that?  Is it waving around a pistol while drunk at a bar or is it some limpdick cunt who got all jelly-kneed cauz he saw your pistol when you brushed back your jacket to pull out your wallet and some black glove Dirty Harry wannabee charges you with brandishing?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Establishment Repubs may or may not be far right.  So are you representing the Establishment or Sarvis fan?  Either way, you are confused.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How do you think they get put into the NCIC "stolen gun" database in the first place? The "rightful owner" reports it and it get puts in there.

If it doesn't get reported by the owner as stolen, it doesn't get put into NCIC and thus this sort of check wouldn't flag it, anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everyone likes to leave paper trails.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Establishment Repubs may or may not be far right.  So are you representing the Establishment or Sarvis fan?  Either way, you are confused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't represent anyone but myself. And I'm not confused.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got behind by a month on mine because I switched jobs and then again when they reviewed my case and increased my monthly payments. I'd love for them to try and suspend mine because of that nonsense.

Fuck the governor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then good luck with any hope of getting your stolen gun(s) back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Serious question especially for the VCDL guys on here. In a fight fire with fire type thing would you consider getting behind upping knowingly possessing a firearm with a defaced serial number to a Felony to mirror Federal law? Currently VA code 18.2-311.1 is only a class 1 misdemeanor.

va code 18.2-311.1

I'm cool with it only being a separate and distinct Felony offense if only in conjunction with gang participation, robbery, abduction, use of a firearm in a commission of a felony, reckless discharge, shooting at a occupied dwelling/ vehicle etc, possession by felon etc...

Another organization has a lobby day in January and this might be one of the proposals.  If McAwful wants some common sense gun laws, going after already felonious turds up to no good seems to make more sense to me than going after, "loop holes" and other vaporware nonsense which only infringe on citizens rights in good standing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen. Toads primarily get their guns from Burglaries and Larcenies from autos ( "Truck Guns" ).  At least report it to your local cops for  CYA purposes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I did an interview with NBC channel 12 today about this. Here is the link for anyone interested - http://www.nbc12.com/story/27633257/both-sides-passionate-about-mcauliffes-proposed-gun-purchase-regs
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

While noble in intent, I do not see how it works practically.

First, I would assume there would be an exemption for FFL buying NIB from another FFL. Otherwise, it is going to be costly and be a waste of time.

Second, so as FFL I run gun and it is stolen, then what? Am I empowered to seize it? Arrest seller? No thanks on both counts. So he just walks out of store and unloads gun FTF to someone else.

Nothing solved, but some politician can claim 87 million stolen guns found, just like phony NICS denial claims.

What folks need to do is shoot down all of these, and continue to repeal what is on the books.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

First, I would assume there would be an exemption for FFL buying NIB from another FFL. Otherwise, it is going to be costly and be a waste of time.

Second, so as FFL I run gun and it is stolen, then what? Am I empowered to seize it? Arrest seller? No thanks on both counts. So he just walks out of store and unloads gun FTF to someone else.

Nothing solved, but some politician can claim 87 million stolen guns found, just like phony NICS denial claims.

What folks need to do is shoot down all of these, and continue to repeal what is on the books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really have a hard-on to PASS that one, I'm just not really seeing what the issue is with that concept.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't really have a hard-on to PASS that one, I'm just not really seeing what the issue is with that concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I am more curious how they think this would be implemented.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

yes, it does happen and it causes problems for mutiple parties.

View Quote

Rather than burdening anyone, I would advocate portal-style access to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) reports of stolen/lost firearms, along the lines of BillCA's contribution on page 2 of the link (scroll down, here).  Taxpayer dollars pay for the the NCIC.  Taxpayers should be able to query the records related to property that's been reported as stolen.  Stored procedures, triggered views, etc. allow such technology to be implemented with low residual risk.

(Yeah.  I know that bad-guys can benefit from such access as well.  So be it.  I'm sick of bad-guy low-common-denominators dictating the availability of services to the overwhelming majority of good-guys.  If a scrote asks, and gets, $50 more for a pistol he stole -- after checking the NCIC stolen gun portal to see if the pistol is listed -- so be it.  But maybe the scrote's query trigger some other actions as well ....  Automated systems offer endless possibilities.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make it optional and a no-charge service for the LGS and the seller, and I'm sorta OK with #6.  It gives some protection to the LGS (OK, pawn shop) from knowingly receiving stolen property.  In reality, we all know that criminals aren't going to FFLs and filling out a 4473.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And all the Republicans that sat out the election.  Be honest with yourself - Cuccinelli was a great AG, and really not a bad candidate for Governor.  

I'm not a subscriber to the "its his turn" theory of candidate selection as Bolling seemed to be, and also not a fan of candidate selection by conventions/caucuses.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#39]
McAuliffe can pack his carpet bags and head back to new york ... I guess voting for sarvis was a great idea ...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And all the Republicans that sat out the election.  Be honest with yourself - Cuccinelli was a great AG, and really not a bad candidate for Governor.  

I'm not a subscriber to the "its his turn" theory of candidate selection as Bolling seemed to be, and also not a fan of candidate selection by conventions/caucuses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you kidding? He was a terrible candidate. That's why he lost.

Don't get me wrong. I like Ken Cuccinelli. But he got co-opted by the radical anti-abortionists, and didn't see the necessity of distancing himself from them, which cost him the support of the majority of the voters. I'm not pro-abortion by any means. But the people of the Commonwealth have decided that abortion is not the evil that many on the right see it is. That issue is what killed Cuccinelli's chance at the governorship.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Make it optional and a no-charge service for the LGS and the seller, and I'm sorta OK with #6.  It gives some protection to the LGS (OK, pawn shop) from knowingly receiving stolen property.  In reality, we all know that criminals aren't going to FFLs and filling out a 4473.
View Quote

Actually it takes away the protection. Take in a stolen, gun and it will be presumed you knew it. Under the current system, there is no way to know if it is stolen, so it is pretty hard to knowingly receive one, especially if it is once removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top