Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
Hey Gents,

I could use some feedback for a website my group temporary created for a marketing class.
The concept of the website is to bring together students without vehicles needing to travel <10 miles  with students that could take them and designated drivers for students wanting to go out and drink. In addition we have events outside of campus life, ie Fredericksburg Gun Show.
Hypothetically we would charge a flat fee $2.50 one way, $5 maximum 20 mile round trip.
Competition would come from Fred bus which is free to students and taxi services.
If I had the opportunity I rather get a ride from one of my peers over taking a taxi or waiting around for a bus..

The website demographic is 18-24 year old college students (freshmen not allowed vehicles) in the Fredericksburg, VA area.

Feed back would be appreciated from current or graduate students from any school.
Would you use the service if it was available to you when you were/are attending college?
Would you use the service over reserving a taxi or waiting for the bus?
Where would you expect to find the service, would you actively seek out transportation?
How much would you be willing to pay for a designated driver?

Survey over, thanks to those that visited.

I am outside of the target demographic (28 y/o former active duty Marine) and have a vehicle so any input from those that experienced this part college life would be helpful.

Thanks,
Paul

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Only because you asked ...

The web-site is fine after the geegaws are inactivated.  (Using Firefox 24, the linked page won't scroll ... it just sort of scrunches together.)

Here's what I would do if I planned on using the web-site for service at some point in the future:

Firefox add-on: "YesScript 2.0" ... Deactivate javascript for the site.

Firefox add-on: "Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.3" ... Hide the "campuscarpool.umw310.com###wpadminbar" element.

The second mod gets rid of the black-bar in my portion of the browser, that obscures text -- text that you presumably wrote to have visitors read -- while vertical-paging through the content.  (I generally never return to sites that take away any of 'my' portion of the browser, such that paging up and down results in obscured text. If I believe I'll someday return to the site, I get rid of the obscuring crap using Element Hiding Helper prior to bookmarking.  Such sites include news.yahoo.com, washingtonpost.com, nytimes.com, time.com ... among many others.)

I have to say that I'm well north of your demographic target as well.  Further, yours is the first site I've seen that has benign content related both to Mad Moms and a gun-show ...
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I am not really a part of the actual writing of the site but I think the way it currently scrolls is some type of wordpress setting one of the members selected.
I will see if what you suggested helps out.

As for the MADD feed and gun shows on the same site we are trying to be somewhat responsible by highlighting the effects of driving drunk. I am sure there are better sites for acknowledging the facts but MADD comes to mind fairly quick.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
@ $5 per/20 mile round trip I'd lose money based on gas prices.

If it's all hypothetical, nevermind.  But it's likely people would lose money on this, and not even break even.

But your question relates to the website, I'm just pointing out another variable.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top