Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 9:21:43 AM EDT
I hunted Saturday and Sunday until about 7:30ish, did I give up too soon?

Saturday morning was COLD.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I like to be in place in my stand, settled in and quiet before the sun comes up.  That first hour is usually the best, but over the years I have shot a lot of deer in VA around 10:00-11:00am.
Probably has a lot to do with your spot, too, as to when they are moving around, to and from food / bedding areas, and being pushed from one place to another.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like to be in place in my stand, settled in and quiet before the sun comes up.  That first hour is usually the best, but over the years I have shot a lot of deer in VA around 10:00-11:00am.
Probably has a lot to do with your spot, too, as to when they are moving around, to and from food / bedding areas, and being pushed from one place to another.
View Quote

Me too. It seems like that 10am-11am hour is when I get my best opportunities for the morning hunt in my AO but yeah, I do need to be in my spot several hours before if I expect to see any deer.

For the afternoon hunt, it seems like ~1 hour before sunset is when the deer come out in my area. Kind of a pain because you end up gutting and dragging in the dark.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would suggest investing some better gear to battle the cold. I would sit until at least 10.  I see a good percentage of morning deer between 9 and 11am.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would suggest investing some better gear to battle the cold. I would sit until at least 10.  I see a good percentage of morning deer between 9 and 11am.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wearing a lot of clothes but thanks.  Wyoming native here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Toughen up!!!
Jk, but seriously....
Stay in tree longer next time or don't bother getting up early to hunt for an hour.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Toughen up!!!
Jk, but seriously....
Stay in tree longer next time or don't bother getting up early to hunt for an hour.
View Quote

I don't have a tree stand, I was lying on the ground behind a ground blind in 15 degrees.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
For the afternoon hunt, it seems like ~1 hour before sunset is when the deer come out in my area. Kind of a pain because you end up gutting and dragging in the dark.
View Quote

Agree, and that's why I seldom hunt in the afternoon.  I hate dressing a deer in the failing light, or using a headlight to see by.  If I was younger and more eager that wouldn't be a problem, but I'm middle-aged and cranky.  

Underarmor rocks to keep out the chill, and a good seat/mat will keep you off of the cold ground if you are down low.  One place where I hunt, I use one of those little fold-up three legged stools that swivels.  Keeps me upright (more comfortable), and off the cold ground.  A tree stand is better, but sometimes it isn't an option.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on where they are coming from, I'm sure.

I've been ready to leave the stand before, but stayed just because I was surfing Arfcom and ending up seeing several around 10-11am-ish.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

7:30 IMO is way to early , like others have said 10-11 seems to be a active time. I killed my 8pt at 10:20am he was bedded down but a smaller 8pt I Iet walk by pushed him up.  I get cold easy so I carry extra clothes with me so I don't sweat on my hike to my spot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I plan on setting up around 7, 7:30 as opposed to killing myself getting up at 5AM and being on the ground at 6.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I try to be in place by 6:15. I schwacked a doe this morning at almost exactly 8:00 today.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I try to be in place by 6:15. I schwacked a doe this morning at almost exactly 8:00 today.
View Quote

What's your location, I'll be hunting in southern Fauquier county.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a doe this morning around 7:45
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats!

Near Radford, BTW.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Man I've got like 6 more tags to fill and no place to go.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Man I've got like 6 more tags to fill and no place to go.
View Quote

You're welcome to come try late muzzleloader with me. I have solid dibs on some private land near Radford.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Congratulations!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations!

Thanks, man.  I'm told there should be another rut in a few weeks, I'll head back out soon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I only have time to hunt on bad weather days now, thought I would be able to hunt Tuesday but have to finish today's job on the inside tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#20]
got mine a little before 8 on saturday morning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top