Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 2:19:17 AM EDT
Looking for suggestions on places to eat in culpeper. Preferably someplace downtown.
I've looked on Google and saw some good looking restaurants, but most seemed fairly pricey.

Any favorite places?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The downtown dining scene in Culpeper has recently become aimed at the many yuppies now in the area. If you want a good meal at a nice place, be prepared to pay for it. The older restaurants whose customer base consisted of the farmers and their families who came into town are long gone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The places downtown, Foti's, Piedmont Steak and It's About Thyme, are decent but do cost more than the chains.  Most locals don't even go there.  Outside of downtown, Glory Days is one of the better chain restaurants and Osaka's is a decent Japanese-ish place.  As a lifelong resident, I still enjoy Country Cookin'.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Culpeper Thia........the best Thia I've had state side.  Good ambience/price, very friendly staff and heavily patronized by yuppies and normal people.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The downtown dining scene in Culpeper has recently become aimed at the many yuppies now in the area. If you want a good meal at a nice place, be prepared to pay for it. The older restaurants whose customer base consisted of the farmers and their families who came into town are long gone.
View Quote

This was the feeling I was getting from my google search.

Wasn't looking to have to pay more than $50 for two people. Any non-chains outside the downtown area?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wasn't looking to have to pay more than $50 for two people. Any non-chains outside the downtown area?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your best bet is to park in the municipal lot by the depot and take a nice stroll down Davis St and take a gander, many good eats and may be some specials running.  "It's about Thyme (Euro cuisine is nice, has a patio area and even a deli....also located by Knackels Bakery for a walk and dessert in the park.  If all the Stuff on Davis St seems too rich hook a left on Main St and you have very good Thia and I think there is new rustic BBQ place too.

You can spend the $ on food and then get some great free entertainment:  Packard Theater
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your best bet is to park in the municipal lot by the depot and take a nice stroll down Davis St and take a gander, many good eats and may be some specials running.  "It's about Thyme (Euro cuisine is nice, has a patio area and even a deli....also located by Knackels Bakery for a walk and dessert in the park.  If all the Stuff on Davis St seems too rich hook a left on Main St and you have very good Thia and I think there is new rustic BBQ place too.

You can spend the $ on food and then get some great free entertainment:  Packard Theater
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome suggestions!  I usually like to have a plan already in place, but I think Saturday will be a good day to just walk around and eyeball a good place to go into.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]

It's About Thyme is the best of the 4 main restaurants downtown, but it is expensive.

Foti's, Hazel River Inn,  Piedmont Steakhouse (on the backside of the block) are all quality restaurants.

Culpeper Thai has fantastic Thai for the middle of nowhere.

If you are looking for a little less money there are two restaurants a few miles west of downtown on 522 that are worth checking out.  Both are in the same shopping center and both are good.

Shawn's Smokehouse BBQ Company

Atheneans Restaurant

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Shawn's BBQ on Sperryville Turnpike.  It's right outside the 'downtown' area and is pretty much the best BBQ I have had outside of Texas.

We typically get the sampler platter for $30 (for the wife and I).  We ALWAYS have enough food left over for dinner.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
A little ways out of town on Rt 29 in Madison if you like German food. You can go do the wine tasting thing nearby at Prince Michel Winery on 29 closer to Culpeper.

http://www.thebavarianchef.com/
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A little ways out of town on Rt 29 in Madison if you like German food. You can go do the wine tasting thing nearby at Prince Michel Winery on 29 closer to Culpeper.

http://www.thebavarianchef.com/
View Quote

It's awesome, but you get a much better deal with a party of 5+ (all the sides - unlimited).   Get a gang to go hiking in the mountains all day and then gorge on heavy German food in the evening
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another vote for Shawn's BBQ on Sperryville Turnpike.  It's right outside the 'downtown' area and is pretty much the best BBQ I have had outside of Texas.
We typically get the sampler platter for $30 (for the wife and I).  We ALWAYS have enough food left over for dinner.  
View Quote

The truth.  This man speaks it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shawn's is great food, oh and OP
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shawn's is great food, oh and OP
View Quote

I've got a new yhm lt that I've knly shot once. When is the next appo camping trip?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are probably going there today for lunch!  (Can't beat the bang for the buck....$30 for two meals!  And I get to wander through the Gray Ghost next door, never know what I might not be able to live without.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Gray Ghost Tactical is right next door for some nice Christmas shopping.

They have very nice stuff in stock, but the customer service is a little..

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Ended up at lucios, as the lady was feeling Italian.

We passed a few of the places mentioned while walking around. About thyme looked to have a much older crowd.  the tai place will most likely be put on the short list of places to visit next.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]
No mention of the German restaurant Rathskullers(spelling?) that is in the basement of Hazel River Inn? It is a good place. Don't waste your time at the Bavarian Chef. It's to German food what Taco Bell is to mexican food.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No mention of the German restaurant Rathskullers(spelling?) that is in the basement of Hazel River Inn? It is a good place. Don't waste your time at the Bavarian Chef. It's to German food what Taco Bell is to mexican food.
View Quote

We were not overly impressed with Rathskullers.  We ended up there after finding out that the Culpeper Cattle Co had gone out of business.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
another vote for Shawn's BBQ.  Plus it's always good to support good people:
Free lunch for life

And if you want to get fat head over to Knakal's Bakery.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

another vote for Shawn's BBQ.  Plus it's always good to support good people:

Free lunch for life

View Quote

That's pretty cool of Shawn's!  

I can't say I'm too overly surprised concerning Mcdonalds.  It is the lower echelon of fast food, even if they have tried to improve their image by 'fancying' up their

buildings.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh man, ain't that the truth?!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years back I would fill in for a bank in culpeper part time, usually just 2 or 3 weeks a summer, and the people from knakal's would occasionally bring us a box of doughnuts.  Omg
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top