Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/16/2014 2:38:47 PM EDT
So after I moved to Sterling I called the VA Game Commission when both me and my wife both saw coyotes in our neighborhood.

They said "There aren't any coyotes in Virginia"

Yeah, about that:

Shot this one yesterday in a cow pasture on my way to the deer hunting area just south of Lucketts.

240 yard shot with a .270 WSM.

She was fat too.

Saw a second one right after but there were cows in the background so I didn't feel comfortable taking that shot.

Also got a 140lb spike buck, so it was a good day.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well fine. Any chance you want to be a guide and show a guy how to hunt. You appear to know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well fine. Any chance you want to be a guide and show a guy how to hunt. You appear to know what you are doing.
View Quote

Sure I'm no expert but I'll show you what I know.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Shot this one yesterday in a cow pasture on my way to the deer hunting area just south of Lucketts.
View Quote
"Well, NOW there aren't any."

(So I guess if there aren't any yotes, you don't need a license to shoot them, right?)

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive never heard or seen any , personally. Not to sound like an ass but looking at the pic, it just looks like a dog. How do you tell its a coyote running around in the field and not a shepherd ?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep they're here. The misses woke me up last winter with the neighbors dogs barking like crazy around 2 am. She said 2 dogs were coming our way. I looked out.  Almost a full moon with a few inches of snow on the ground. Had a perfect view of looking down from the second story. Saw 2 dogs walking straight towards our house. They crossed the driveway side by side very slowly as if they were stalking. I thought it really odd that they didn't act like a typical dag running around sniffing this and that pissing on things, literally just a straight line. I banged on the window and they froze. Didn't move their heads or wag tails, nothing. Looked at them with my NV and yep they were coyotes. Banged on the window again and they took off down my driveway each in a track my truck had driven up in earlier that day. This was up near the Stafford / Fauquier County line off Rt. 17.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to sound like an ass but looking at the pic, it just looks like a dog. How do you tell its a coyote running around in the field and not a shepherd ?
View Quote

Because I know what a GSD is.

My family bred them.

This is a coyote.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

(So I guess if there aren't any yotes, you don't need a license to shoot them, right?)

View Quote

Continuous open season except on National Forest lands and Department lands.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My family bred them.

This is a coyote.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to sound like an ass but looking at the pic, it just looks like a dog. How do you tell its a coyote running around in the field and not a shepherd ?

My family bred them.

This is a coyote.

Well that explains it
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well that explains it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My family bred them.

This is a coyote.

Well that explains it

When you see a coyote you know it. Long legs and its coat are the main identifiers for me at least.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
coyotes for sure roaming around Lake Anna and farms near Louisa, VA

don't know what the hell that game commissioner is smoking, but it must be pretty potent stuff.

nice job on background awareness.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So after I moved to Sterling I called the VA Game Commission when both me and my wife both saw coyotes in our neighborhood.

View Quote

Uh... how long ago did you move to Sterling? Because the VDGIF recognized that coyotes were present and endemic in all VA counties well over a decade ago. If not two decades ago.

I don't know if Sterling is Loudon, Faquier, or Fairfax County, but all three county animal control offices publicly have recognized coyote populations since ~ 1999.

http://ww2.fairfaxtimes.com/cms/archivestory.php?id=137317

Tuesday June 26, 2001

Rarely seen, cunning and smart, coyotes are arriving and thriving in Loudoun.

Wildlife Biologist for the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) Randy Farrar pointed out that coyote populations are growing at an overall rate of about 50 percent a year judging by the coyote harvest statistics, even though populations were down considerably last year.

The DGIF derives its coyote population statistics from counts taken selectively from hunters. These numbers are useful for establishing growth and decline trends.

Even though southwest Virginia has the greatest number of coyotes, the populations are growing fastest in Northern Virginia. For some reason, populations in the Piedmont continue to remain low.

Coyote populations are higher in western Loudoun than in the eastern part of the county.

Game Warden Ray Solomon, who lives north of Round Hill, reported seeing them both while working and hunting. "I started working here in 1988, and I didn't see one until 1997. Since then, I've probably seen about a dozen. They're mostly in the west, but I've definitely seen them in Ashburn."
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When you see a coyote you know it. Long legs and its coat are the main identifiers for me at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My family bred them.

This is a coyote.

Well that explains it

It's kind of how you know a Belgian Shepard Dog (Malinois) from a GSD.  Or how someone might distinguish a beaver from a gopher at 400yds, just by seeing it's head.

If you can't, you can't.  Others can.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
They are in Portsmouth VA by the Elizabeth River, along with foxes.

I have never had a safe shot at one.

They will eat pets and spread rabies.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't know you were in law enforcement.

I kid!  I kid!

Good shoot!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Big yote and I'll assume that spike was a yearish old.....all good growth.  The Lucketts area has several square miles of karst geology(only karst zone in NOVA), I gotta think all the limestone soils and hard mineral water lends to some bigger animals. Of course there are 8 subspecies of whitetail here too (due to reintroduction efforts).  

It's fair to say yotes are abundant and can show up just about anywhere in the Commonwealth.  Not sure why the VDGIF doesn't straight talk the topic.

ETA:  Check out pastures in the area on sat images, some will look like the moon's surface from all the craters formed from mini sinkholes when the vegetation is short.  Most of the areas are West of Rt15.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Dragged out of the woods near Nokesville two years ago and could hear the coyotes fighting over gut pile at dusk, pretty crazy.

Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice...that's awesome that you can hunt game other than deer with rifles. I'm stuck with bow, shotgun and muzzle in Prince William...there's yotes down here too,
How did you find areas to hunt? I work up in Sterling but can't find private land so I'm doing Belvoir and Quantico.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a nice day Bulldog, congrats..

@ 07Commander- The wife and I had what looked like a GSD mix walking through our yard last August in Louisa County.  I even called a neighbor before shooting it to ask if they had a new GSD or some type of exotic mix because I had never seen a live coyote before...

As POG926 mentioned, a coyote behaves in a different manner.  The walking in a straight line to get from point A to B is what was unusual when compared to a domesticated dog.

My thread from last year which suggest that they're all throughout the state-link.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I've seen them in Chantilly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How did you find areas to hunt? I work up in Sterling but can't find private land so I'm doing Belvoir and Quantico.
View Quote

This was a neighbor buddy's cousin's land.

It is crazy full of deer, and I hope to go some more this season yet.

The cousin also thanked me for killing the yote as he was really worried about some of his livestock.

I told him to call me any time he saw any and I would be right over to take care of business.

Looks like I am not the only one to get one while deer hunting:

PG county.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I have seen the coyote in the last 6 years in Fairfax, Ablemarle, Sussex, and Greensville.  Always when I was bow hunting and never got a clear shot, but have drawn on them 2x.

Nice job.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#23]
They're in Caroline County too.  Very hard to shoot... skittish.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#24]
They are definitely around and getting worse from what I hear. Homeowners pets are being killed and livestock as well. It's weird the VADGIF said that, last I heard the population was booming.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#25]
That's extremely weird that someone from VDGIF would say that. There are plenty of coyotes in VA. My area has put a $50/head bounty on them on a number of occasions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#26]
They're in New Kent...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is in the regs from the folks who told him there aren't any here...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Game camera caught one months ago at a park in north Arlington.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I hear them in the woods in Suffolk all the time, and I've seen several in Chesapeake and Portsmouth in wooded/field areas as well
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#30]
There have been reports here at Lake Monticello in Fluvanna County and there have been a bunch of outside house cats go missing this year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

So first you make it sound as if they are not recognized, then post there's a season on them and you need a hunting license. Why bother calling about them in the first place? Did you call to report deer, doves, crazy hairy Rob Lowe?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw one last summer mowing late in the day.  My game camera caught one in February, but just the one time, where as it catches deer, fox, raccoons and cats on a daily basis.

We hear them from time to time starting about 5 years ago. It was at that time my cats started sticking a lot closer to home.  Once the cold weather his my outdoor cat comes in and when he is outside his head is on a swivel.

I'd say they are much more plentiful now.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, plenty here. Within 10 miles of Louisa, I've killed two in the last two years and hear them here almost every night. If I put a groundhog out, it will usually disappear overnight, second night at the latest. The farmer here saw a group of six (2 adults/4 pups) run across the road coming back in here to the farm back around July. Sounds more like a dozen when they get fired up. I keep an AR by the door and one of the ones I killed was shot from the back porch.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So first you make it sound as if they are not recognized, then post there's a season on them and you need a hunting license. Why bother calling about them in the first place? Did you call to report deer, doves, crazy hairy Rob Lowe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Might want to get a new sarcasm meter.  

When talking about VADGIF most often the talk turns to sarcasm.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yep, plenty here. Within 10 miles of Louisa, I've killed two in the last two years and hear them here almost every night. If I put a groundhog out, it will usually disappear overnight, second night at the latest. The farmer here saw a group of six (2 adults/4 pups) run across the road coming back in here to the farm back around July. Sounds more like a dozen when they get fired up. I keep an AR by the door and one of the ones I killed was shot from the back porch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a pack that roams along the South Anna between my house and the river for at least 5 miles or more.  You can track track them every night by following their howls.  I came out one night to walk the dog and found one in my yard nosing around the chicken coop.  I think they are what cleaned out about 8 chcikens one night several months ago after my damn chickens decided not to go into the coop.

I need to find someone that has yote hunting experience that can tech me about it.  I think I have a good place to set up but have no night hunting expereince nor the NV gear.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I think the point the OP was trying to make was that when he first moved to Sterling, he was told by VADGIF that there were no Coyotes.

Obviously, in the intervening years, that has changed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#37]
yotes have been around a good long while now.  shoot em in the face!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the replies in this thread. Looks as if most here need their meter adjusted, or is one of these things not like the other?

He also posted this in General, and most of the replies are about Game Departments denying the existence of some species of animal. Similar posts to here, again, everyone needs their meter adjusted, or is one of these things not like the other?

He didn't say "A person/moron at the DGIF stated," instead he states "They said." Again, making it appear it's the official position of the VA DGIF. I don't see a bunch of replies that the VA DGIF is stupid, it's all "Coyotes are here, and here and been here."
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#39]
"the VA DGIF is stupid"

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Check out the replies in this thread. Looks as if most here need their meter adjusted, or is one of these things not like the other?

He also posted this in General, and most of the replies are about Game Departments denying the existence of some species of animal. Similar posts to here, again, everyone needs their meter adjusted, or is one of these things not like the other?

He didn't say "A person/moron at the DGIF stated," instead he states "They said." Again, making it appear it's the official position of the VA DGIF. I don't see a bunch of replies that the VA DGIF is stupid, it's all "Coyotes are here, and here and been here."
View Quote

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Im a professional driver by trade.............I have seen several in Virginia, one off of route 360 east of Mechanicsville, Va and another on I64 near the Goochland-Louisa line..............over the past summer ..........A friend of mine owns some property near Stoney Creek, Virginia and has them on his game cameras...........

I have seen plenty in West Virginia and Western Maryland...........
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's extremely weird that someone from VDGIF would say that. There are plenty of coyotes in VA. My area has put a $50/head bounty on them on a number of occasions.
View Quote

This.  I hit one with my truck when I was in HS and they tried to not give me my money since I didn't actually shot it...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, well.............well. At the ocean front of all places.

http://wavy.com/2014/11/19/oceanfront-residents-concerned-about-coyote-sightings/

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

<snip>
View Quote

Guess we found out where Baghdad Bob found his post-war job.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#45]
WOW That is a tiny target for a DRT 240 yard shot even with a flat shooting cartridge like .270WSM. Impressive.

and yes, I have seen coyotes in the Manassas National Battlefield so they are here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#46]
saw my first live coyote in Charles City county at dusk last weekend as I was climbing out of the stand.  Freaking HUGE one at that.  It will feast well on many hunt club gutpiles for the next few months.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Dad swears he saw one in the woods off of general booth blvd.  Va Beach.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Thank God for this thread.  I saw a coyote a few years ago around Ft. Myer in North Arlington and, to this day, nobody believes me.  At least now I have some confidence that I'm not going completely crazy.  A little crazy, maybe, but not completely.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Taken today in Albemarle County by a friend. Dudly Mtn Road, kinda back in behind Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club

L
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Taken today in Albemarle County by a friend. Dudly Mtn Road, kinda back in behind Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club

Lhttp://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt329/ANeilSmith/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/BE0FE168-354F-45D2-93F0-8A08AD0E9536_zpsc2cyou1d.jpg
View Quote

Those are "well disciplined" 'yotes!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top