Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, Philip, after seeing the most recent VA-Alert e-mail, it seems you didn't take the constructive criticism aboard.
4. You can lead a horse to water…

It is totally predictable that with every election cycle I get angry emails from some of the more partisan gun owners who are passionate members of one political party or another.

Some of the Libertarians say that VCDL is tacitly supporting a two-party system because we don’t support every Libertarian candidate who answers the VCDL survey.  They often feel that their candidate is not given the same level of coverage as the Republicans and Democrats.

The Republicans are angry because either VCDL isn’t blindly supporting their candidate who has not turned in a VCDL survey, or they are angry because VCDL includes information on Libertarian candidates, who they view as unelectable and will just draw votes away from the Republican candidate, handing the election to the Democrats.

For federal elections, VCDL cannot and does not make any endorsements.  Since VCDL-PAC is a *state* Political Action Committee, it can *not* and does *not* participate in *federal* elections.  

All that VCDL can do in *federal* elections" is to educate our members on public positions by the candidates, tell our members if the candidates have filled out the VCDL survey or not, and release candidates’ survey answers shortly before the election.  

Yet, many of the angry emails accuse VCDL of endorsing either the Democrat, the Libertarian, or the Republican.  Amazing.

For state and local elections, VCDL cannot and does not make any endorsements.  The VCDL-PAC, however, can make endorsements and often does.  For VCDL, it’s the same as for federal elections:  all that we can do is to educate our members on public positions by the candidates, tell our members if the candidates have filled out the VCDL survey or not, and release candidates’ survey answers shortly before the election.

Also, VCDL sends a survey to ALL candidates on the ballot for races of interest to gun owners.  Period.

Well, here is an LTE that is a case in point on the recent federal elections.  A gun owner is angry that VCDL didn’t blindly push a Republican candidate, Ed Gillespie, who has NO voting record and ACTIVELY refused to fill out our survey.  The only conclusion we could draw was that the candidate either didn’t want gun owners to know his exact positions on a host of important federal gun issues, or didn’t want to be pinned down to any pro-gun positions that might become unpopular.  (Gillespie did answer the NRA survey, but that survey is always kept secret and is therefore useless to grassroots gun owners.)  But, somehow, gun owners were supposed to be EXCITED about GIllespie's candidacy nonetheless.

Good luck with that.

Over and over again a variety of gun owners, including Republican chairpersons and volunteers from local Republican groups, asked Mr. Gillespie to turn in his VCDL survey so as to tout his pro-gun stance.  The result was either dodging and weaving by talking mostly in vague generalities, saying he was better than Warner (wow), or simply pivoting on his heal and walking away (as he did to a VCDL member who was a Republican Party volunteer).

With 26,000+ gun owners on VA-ALERT waiting to see the candidate surveys, Gillespie, not VCDL, handed a tight election to Mark Warner by 17,000 votes.  VCDL provided both Gillespie & Warner ample opportunities to answer the survey.  However, the responsibility for refusing to answer the VCDL survey rests squarely on Gillespie's shoulders, and thus any consequences of his decision are his.
<snip Wash Times letter to the editor>
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
If a candidate doesn't care enough to go on record with the VCDL about their position on firearms, why is it the VCDL's fault?

You all act like a bunch of liberals. Don't blame the person that is lazy, you blame the third party.

Disgraceful.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The email looks pretty similar to what he posted here, and in that, all I saw was an honest explanation of what occurred during the last election cycle.

If gun owners were swayed in one direction or another, do to the candidates responses or lack of responses to a survey, then that is on the gun owner. VCDL is not to blame for the Republican candidate choosing not to respond.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, Philip, after seeing the most recent VA-Alert e-mail, it seems you didn't take the constructive criticism aboard.
Snip

The email looks pretty similar to what he posted here, and in that, all I saw was an honest explanation of what occurred during the last election cycle.

If gun owners were swayed in one direction or another, do to the candidates responses or lack of responses to a survey, then that is on the gun owner. VCDL is not to blame for the Republican candidate choosing not to respond.

yeah I took no issue with the email
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If a candidate doesn't care enough to go on record with the VCDL about their position on firearms, why is it the VCDL's fault?

You all act like a bunch of liberals. Don't blame the person that is lazy, you blame the third party.

Disgraceful.
View Quote

There was NO third party.  There also is no casting stones at the VCDL, simply stated concern.  The NRA had no problem determining who was the best pick, why couldn't the VCDL come to the same conclusion?  Why do nothing when you know a lot of your base is sitting out or fell Sarvis?  Peoples feelings got hurt and we as group just couldn't man up and do what was best.   There were some voters that would have benefited from the discussion we are having now, oh well.   I remain concerned, how will we respond to another Sarvis run? Hopefully gun owners will get educated.  BTW, some scrubbed Sarvis comments on FB tell me even the VCDL knew the Sarvis love was getting out of hand......address it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

Hmmm.  Maybe I read things into it that weren't there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There was NO third party.  There also is no casting stones at the VCDL, simply stated concern.  The NRA had no problem determining who was the best pick, why couldn't the VCDL come to the same conclusion?  Why do nothing when you know a lot of your base is sitting out or fell Sarvis?  Peoples feelings got hurt and we as group just couldn't man up and do what was best.   There were some voters that would have benefited from the discussion we are having now, oh well.   I remain concerned, how will we respond to another Sarvis run? Hopefully gun owners will get educated.  BTW, some scrubbed Sarvis comments on FB tell me even the VCDL knew the Sarvis love was getting out of hand......address it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgraceful.

It is simple. Ed Gillespie was too lazy to respond to the VCDL questionnaire. He didn't care enough about Virginia gun owners to take 30 minutes to fill out a survey.

There are no "hurt feelings" from the VCDL. It is a simple binary matter. He didn't fill out a survey. He has no voting history.

There was simply nothing for the VCDL to do. Him being a "Republican" doesn't mean a thing for gun rights. What basis could the VCDL used to determine he would have been "pro gun"? There is none. You are making up the fact he would have been a pro gun candidate.

Ed Gillespie was lazy or he didn't care. The excuses are pathetic.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is simple. Ed Gillespie was too lazy to respond to the VCDL questionnaire. He didn't care enough about Virginia gun owners to take 30 minutes to fill out a survey.

There are no "hurt feelings" from the VCDL. It is a simple binary matter. He didn't fill out a survey. He has no voting history.

There was simply nothing for the VCDL to do. Him being a "Republican" doesn't mean a thing for gun rights. What basis could the VCDL used to determine he would have been "pro gun"? There is none. You are making up the fact he would have been a pro gun candidate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgraceful.

+1 yup.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't feel that the VCDL did anything to sway towards any candidate and while I don't always agree with them, they like the NRA, are our best weapon against pieces of shit like Mcdouchenozzle, Timmay, Warner, Bloomberg.

Gillespie should have filled out the questionnaire but like most these days, he is probably only pro gun during elections.

Back to the original thread question, Sarvis is a jackass who probably is more democrat than Libertarian. People are fucking stupid for voting for him, but it is their vote to waste as they see fit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Edited...Save that for GD...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't feel that the VCDL did anything to sway towards any candidate and while I don't always agree with them, they like the NRA, are our best weapon against pieces of shit like Mcdouchenozzle, Timmay, Warner, Bloomberg.

Gillespie should have filled out the questionnaire but like most these days, he is probably only pro gun during elections.

Back to the original thread question, Sarvis is a jackass who probably is more democrat than Libertarian. People are fucking stupid for voting for him, but it is their vote to waste as they see fit.
View Quote

While the VCDL didn't do anything directly there were a bunch of tards on the Facebook page screaming at the top of their lungs that sarvis was the only one to support because he filled out the survey.  It was humorous because posts that where people criticized that line of thought were scrubbed at a higher rate than the blind sarvis supporter posts.  While I applaud VCDL for all they do and attend lobby day I have to shake my head at things like that.

That is why I said earlier that there seemed to tacit support within the ranks of the VCDL for Sarvis even after the a asinine comments he made about VCDL.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While the VCDL didn't do anything directly there were a bunch of tards on the Facebook page screaming at the top of their lungs that sarvis was the only one to support because he filled out the survey.  It was humorous because posts that where people criticized that line of thought were scrubbed at a higher rate than the blind sarvis supporter posts.  While I applaud VCDL for all they do and attend lobby day I have to shake my head at things like that.

That is why I said earlier that there seemed to tacit support within the ranks of the VCDL for Sarvis even after the a asinine comments he made about VCDL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I did read quite a bit of the Sarvis knobb slobbing on facebook. Called Sarvis an idiot and got tired of the douchebag responses so I removed a few a my posts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1 yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgraceful.

+1 yup.

-1 Nooooope.    IMHO, VCDL was treading a very thin line on a constructive endorsement of Sarvis with the NUMEROUS e-mails pointing out how "he was the only candidate to fill out the survey."

And vaguy - if you don't think Gillespie would vote with the R majority against Obungo on anti-gun bills, against radical lib Obungo USSC nominees, against radical lib Obungo AG and BATFE Director appointees, etc, etc, and that none of those things would mean something for gun rights, you need to think a little deeper.  That said, I don't think he would have been the Senator to write and introduce bills torepeal NFA or Hughes, but he may have cosponsored, and I'm pretty sure wouldn't have been a no vote.

Compare to Warner:  votes the way Obungo wants 97% f the time.  'Nuff said.

Now let's look at Sarvis:  A slimy worm who is so desperate to be elected to something... anything... that he ran for Governor, and immediately after getting single-digit percentages of the vote, for Senate, despite the fact that he has precisely zero in the way of qualifications.  My impression is that he is not to be trusted. With anything. I suspect his survey answers were complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

-1 Nooooope.    IMHO, VCDL was treading a very thin line on a constructive endorsement of Sarvis with the NUMEROUS e-mails pointing out how "he was the only candidate to fill out the survey."

And vaguy - if you don't think Gillespie would vote with the R majority against Obungo on anti-gun bills, against radical lib Obungo USSC nominees, against radical lib Obungo AG and BATFE Director appointees, etc, etc, and that none of those things would mean something for gun rights, you need to think a little deeper.  That said, I don't think he would have been the Senator to write and introduce bills torepeal NFA or Hughes, but he may have cosponsored, and I'm pretty sure wouldn't have been a no vote.

Now let's look at Sarvis:  A slimy worm who is so desperate to be elected to something... anything... that he ran for Governor, and immediately after getting single-digit percentages of the vote, for Senate, despite the fact that he has precisely zero in the way of qualifications.  My impression is that he is not to be trusted. With anything. I suspect his survey answers were complete bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgraceful.

+1 yup.

It is a shame that them pointing out the facts is an "endorsement" to you.

The fact is, Ed was lazy. Go ahead, shake your fists that the VCDL "endorsed" Sarvis by saying Ed didn't fill out the survey. If that makes you sleep at night then good.

Ed had no voting record. He has no history. It is pathetic people are coming up with excuses for his failure to complete a simple survey stating his opinions.

Sorry, that is BS and it is BS you are sitting there defending it in any shape or form. If anything the VCDL was shaming Ed into filling out the survey be repeatedly stating Sarvis was the only one to do so.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This bears repeating. Who's to say that Sarvis wouldn't have caucused with the liberals and voted with them anyway. He was funded by them after all. In the extreme long shot that he was elected that might have been his quid pro quo for the liberal money.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This bears repeating. Who's to say that Sarvis wouldn't have caucused with the liberals and voted with them anyway. He was funded by them after all. In the extreme long shot that he was elected that might have been his quid pro quo for the liberal money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Odds are that this is accurate.  

Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that Gillespie effectively ran away from and/or ignored gun owners., both to his AND our detriments.  

Point to take away from this:  As a group, we need to start influencing the BEGINNING of the process so that we don't have to either rationalize or hold our nose to vote for a candidate.  I have NO idea as to how to do this, but it seems to be the best approach.

Corollary to point above:  Early on, ie, a year+ before the election, we need to help this candidate become known (for good things) in NoVA.  We need to take the fight to the enemy stronghold (not our own "enemy", who posts here, btw ).

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The fact is, Ed was lazy. Go ahead, shake your fists that the VCDL "endorsed" Sarvis by saying Ed didn't fill out the survey. If that makes you sleep at night then good.

Ed had no voting record. He has no history. It is pathetic people are coming up with excuses for his failure to complete a simple survey stating his opinions.

Sorry, that is BS and it is BS you are sitting there defending it in any shape or form. If anything the VCDL was shaming Ed into filling out the survey be repeatedly stating Sarvis was the only one to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

+1 yup.

It isn't so much pointing it out, as it was pointing it out repeatedly.

As for no record and no history, he was the RNC chairman for quite a few years.  Sure, that isn;t a voting record, but I thinkit's fair to associate him with the Party platform.

Don't mistake my comments for defending Gillespie - I would have preferred that he sent in the stupid survey, but I can understand why he didn't... try this on: maybe (just maybe) he looked at those questions, and decided that it was a no-win for him. Since VCDL can't endorse in Federal elections, so what exactly was the point?  On the other hand if he did fill it in, it would be handing negative advertising ammo to Warner.  I guarantee we'd have seen the same "Gillespie wants assault rifles in schools" ads that the Dems were running against their Governor-elect.  By not making the election about guns (and frankly it wasn't an issue in VA, thank god) he did manage to keep the election mostly about Warner=Obama on economic issues.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top