BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on the profit although it would be pretty hard to lose money buying a property in Arlington unless you bought in 2005/6. There are lots of areas in south Arlington where the price of buying is high but the area and the schools are not so great. Want to live in an area where 35% of the kids in the local elementary school are on the NSLP or an area where it is 60-80% of the kids? Didn't mean to insult your neighborhood but I think there are plenty of better options in the area.

A single guy who wants to go out and enjoy himself and he is being advised to live in Fredricksburg? WTF

A quick search on Zillow and there were numerous 1 bed/1bath apartments off Mt. Vernon Ave for around $1500/month. That isn't as expensive as Old Town.
View Quote

No disagreement with that - I was just making the point that, although many of the neighborhoods in South Arlington are overcrowded with illegals and have terrible schools, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I ever felt unsafe walking down the street.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... I was just making the point that, although many of the neighborhoods in South Arlington are overcrowded with illegals and have terrible schools, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I ever felt unsafe walking down the street.
View Quote

I suspect that your perception of risk/safety changed somewhat about four years ago ... on 24 Oct 2010, to be exact.  Unless this date also marked the beginning of you walking the streets of South Arlington, that is.

Here's a link, to potentially assist your recall.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I suspect that your perception of risk/safety changed somewhat about four years ago ... on 24 Oct 2010, to be exact.  Unless this date also marked the beginning of you walking the streets of South Arlington, that is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I was just making the point that, although many of the neighborhoods in South Arlington are overcrowded with illegals and have terrible schools, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I ever felt unsafe walking down the street.

True!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just personal experience, got my CCW within a month in Arlington, then moved to FFX county - when it was up for renewal got that in two weeks. It was quite unexpected.  As far as NFA, went the trust route.  Arlington did not require training if you had a DD214 (although I was mil and also had CCW training, and I suspect many other places will take a DD214), which I thought was odd...what if you were a cook on the space shuttle?

Work in DC, so I go south on the beltway and skip a lot of traffic if I leave early enough.  But oh, if you live in Arlington and are single, the scene is insane.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If I land this gig I will be single and having fun. It is early still in the process . I wanted to make sure it would be NFA friendly as well .
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A single guy who wants to go out and enjoy himself and he is being advised to live in Fredricksburg? WTF
View Quote

For a young single guy there's lots of college age or just graduated from college age single girls running around Fredericksburg. GEICO seems to attract a lot.

If I wasn't married, I'd be in a target rich environment, especially making DC money but living there. You can easily hit the "expensive" restaurants for dates because they're really not that bad (compared to DC).

And unlike most of the girls I met/went out with when I lived inside the beltway they're not: (1)overly money oriented (expecting you to drop a ton of money on expensive restaurants, because, hey DC is expensive and you need to act like it) (2) overly career oriented (and thus not having time for you) or (3) just plain stuck up bitchy (because their job shuffling paper and occasionally blowing Congressman Whomever or their Chief of Staff is the most important job currently existing in the US and the nation will fall apart without them). .

You're also not going to have much competition, really.

So, yeah. I'd recommend it.

ETA: If you're looking to meaninglessly bang useless Executive or Legislative branch staffers who are stuck up and bitchy and used to getting very drunk in loud clubs, than inside the beltway is probably still good to go.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
OP If you land the gig I'm sure you'll make it work in Arlington.

That's where I lived before meeting my now wife.  We are down in Old Town Alexandria so you should pop down for a beer

Did I mention my wife has a single sister?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Single, huh?

I live right across the Arlington/Alexandria border on the Alexandria side off of route 1. Crystal City is about a 20 minute walk, and Pentagon City is a short metro ride away.

Like one of the previous posters, the metro system was foreign to me until I started working in DC 6 months ago. Now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I used to think like my co-worker who thinks the metro is just for poor people and hobos, and while there are a few shifty characters and it sometimes smells like urine, it still beats the hell out of driving.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP If you land the gig I'm sure you'll make it work in Arlington.

That's where I lived before meeting my now wife.  We are down in Old Town Alexandria so you should pop down for a beer

View Quote

Okay but realize I am not young like most of you guys
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
A-town is great if you live there, but traveling in the area is a PITA so be prepared. its why I made Charlotte NC my more permanent home. I own several business in Arlington including some nightlife in the Clarendon area. If you are single and have money to spend you will be having a great time. Live there.

Main positives

Most powerful place on the face of the earth a few miles away
great networking
great environment to live if you are wealthy or want to be
crossfit rubicon in tysons area
great biking trails
many hot chicks

Main negatives

TRAFFIC everywhere in NOVA... and traveling just plain sucks
not much in the way of gun ranges
flying from the local airports is way more expensive then other places I frequently travel too
arabs everywhere.
lots of ugly girls too

All in all Im glad I only have to be up there 3-5 days a month. Really love Charlotte NC, but some things about DC and area are amazing too. All in all I would never sell my NOVA home.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Like one of the previous posters, the metro system was foreign to me until I started working in DC 6 months ago. Now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. .
View Quote

I'm on the train for over an hour followed by two stops on the Metro.

The Metro is the most unreliable part of my commute. And on more than one occasion going those two stops took damn near 20 minutes+
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again guys
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A-town is great if you live there, but traveling in the area is a PITA so be prepared. its why I made Charlotte NC my more permanent home. I own several business in Arlington including some nightlife in the Clarendon area. If you are single and have money to spend you will be having a great time. Live there.

Main positives

great networking
great biking trails
many hot chicks

Main negatives

flying from the local airports is way more expensive then other places I frequently travel too
arabs everywhere.
lots of ugly girls too

All in all Im glad I only have to be up there 3-5 days a month. Really love Charlotte NC, but some things about DC and area are amazing too. All in all I would never sell my NOVA home.

View Quote

Would you be willing to share with us what businesses those are that you own?  I'd definitely be more likely to patronize a place I knew was owned by a fellow arfcommer....
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Would you be willing to share with us what businesses those are that you own?  I'd definitely be more likely to patronize a place I knew was owned by a fellow arfcommer....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Main positives

great networking
great biking trails
many hot chicks

Main negatives

arabs everywhere.
lots of ugly girls too

Sure. Please visit and enjoy! The Metro 29 Diner, Whitlows roof top, and Mad Rose Tavern. Also Now opening in Arlington Kapnos Taverna, please also visit our DC locations!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, we really need to get that switchblade bs overturned...  I can carry a .44 AutoMag with a hundred round drum loaded with depleted uranium rounds but I can't carry a $200 Infidel OTF.

Oh yeah, Arlington is where all the illegals went when mean old Prince William County chased them out.  Arlington threw open it's arms and welcomed them with the accompanying rise in severed limbs from machete fights and assaults and the rise in MS-13 gang violence.  But I haven't heard anything about Mara Salvatrucha in awhile, maybe they got that straightened out?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Sure. Please visit and enjoy! The Metro 29 Diner, Whitlows roof top, and Mad Rose Tavern. Also Now opening in Arlington Kapnos Taverna, please also visit our DC locations!
View Quote

Do you own whitlows?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#17]
No, I am a partner in the rooftop expansion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool. I live right across the way and have been there many times.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a great spot! Which is why I wasted no time in investing in the expansion. Its been a couple years and already at a profit! Hail to the weekend warriors!
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's awesome!! I've been all to those places. Good to see an arfcommer in the mix of things.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's awesome!! I've been all to those places. Good to see an arfcommer in the mix of things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We would be nothing if it weren't for all our great customers!!! Please enjoy! Maybe one day Ill host a local Arf gathering! Behind every lade of grass...an Arfcom'er lies.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Main negatives

arabs everywhere.

View Quote

Wait, why is that a negative?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Oops...meant to put that under the positives
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top