Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 3:41:05 PM EDT
I know folks smarter than I read this forum. Legislation against swatting ... seems to be every bit as defensible as legislating against 'pranks' such as dropping a water-filled bucket on someone's head.  

? 18.2-51.3. Prohibition against reckless endangerment of others by throwing objects from places higher than one story; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intent to cause injury to another, to intentionally throw from a balcony, roof top, or other place more than one story above ground level any object capable of causing any such injury.

B. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony. (Source)
View Quote

Monday morning quarterbacking could (easily) identify swatting as having been the proximate cause of 'a tragedy,' but absent appropriate legislation, there might be no accountability.  But, I'm no lawyer ...

Here's a starting point for new legislation for consideration.  Corrections/improvements are welcome, and might turn out to be 'grist for the mill' for some of the forums' readers that are closer to VCDL than I.

? 18.2-51.7 (strawman). Prohibition against reckless endangerment of others by falsely reporting a violent felonious act in progress; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intent to deceive, to report as an emergency a violent felonious act in progress.

B. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.

I view the above as a baseline.  If the swatted report results in the death/injury of responders and bystanders (even if resulting from a T/A while responding to what turns out to have been swatting) or the death/injury of the targeted person, I'd hope that such legislation would ratchet upwards with respect to penalties.  Like a Class 1 Class 3 or 2 felony if someone dies.

(Edited to change the title, after reading an Update item (see below) implying that VCDL will not seek a well-defined legislative protection for lawfully armed citizens from swatters ... whose false reports currently seem to merit simply a 'tsk, tsk ... don't do that again'. I fixed the felony class reference while I was at it. As I said.  IANAL. <g>)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
... seems to be every bit as defensible as legislating against 'pranks' such as dropping a water-filled bucket on someone's head.  

? 18.2-51.3. Prohibition against reckless endangerment of others by throwing objects from places higher than one story; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intent to cause injury to another, to intentionally throw from a balcony, roof top, or other place more than one story above ground level any object capable of causing any such injury.

B. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony. (Source)
View Quote

Monday morning quarterbacking could (easily) identify swatting as having been the proximate cause of 'a tragedy,' but absent appropriate legislation, there might be no accountability.  But, I'm no lawyer ...

Here's a starting point for new legislation for consideration.  Corrections/improvements are welcome, and might turn out to be 'grist for the mill' for some of the forums' readers that are closer to VCDL than I.

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']? 18.2-51.7 (strawman). Prohibition against reckless endangerment of others by falsely reporting a violent felonious act in progress; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intent to deceive, to report as an emergency a violent felonious act in progress.

B. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.

I view the above as a baseline.  If the swatted report results in the death/injury of responders and bystanders (even if resulting from a T/A while responding to what turns out to have been swatting) or the death/injury of the targeted person, I'd hope that such legislation would ratchet upwards with respect to penalties.  Like a Class 1 felony if someone dies.
View Quote

I like the idea. It might also fit well as an enhanced penalty  for 18.2-462 False Report to Police. I could see it being a Class 5/6 Felony, with upgrade to Class 2/3 Felony if someone is seriously injured or dies. I doubt they'd go for Class 1, which is Capital Murder. But your point is very well made.

§ 18.2-461. Falsely summoning or giving false reports to law-enforcement officials.

It shall be unlawful for any person (i) to knowingly give a false report as to the commission of any crime to any law-enforcement official with intent to mislead, or (ii) without just cause and with intent to interfere with the operations of any law-enforcement official, to call or summon any law-enforcement official by telephone or other means, including engagement or activation of an automatic emergency alarm. Violation of the provisions of this section shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-401; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1996, cc. 753, 815.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]

2. SWATTING resulting in a death in Virginia could result in a 2nd Degree murder charge

An internal debate on the issue of SWATTING in Virginia by VCDL’s Legal Advisory Committee seems to agree that a Second Degree Murder charge could be brought against someone whose “SWATTING" leads to the victim's death.  An injury to the victim would lead to some charges, too.
View Quote

The above item, from the "VA-ALERT: VCDL Update 11/12/14," seems like an apologist's justification that no action is needed.  I am curious whether the VCDL Legal Advisory Committee "seems to agree" that absent death or injury, there is little consequence to a swatter ... such as an otherwise demure soccer mom, who decided to try this game out to 'punish' a lawful citizen.

Doesn't swatting merit the same legislative status as 'dropping a bucket of water on someone's head'?  In my experience, neither magistrate nor Commonwealth Attorney -- and certainly the police, as demonstrated by the "7-11 robbery report" that resulted in the current discussion -- should be expected to creatively prosecute and successfully convict a swatter.  There is nothing to be gained from attempting to establish accountability from their perspective, all the more so if it's a Brady-Bunch-style swatter.  

Absent clear legislation prohibiting the behavior, how can one be sure that the responsible a$$hat is identified and sanctioned?  If an individual lawfully carrying a firearm is inconvenienced or, more likely, 'terrorized' (by the encounter with responding LEOs, whose training predisposes such encounters to tragic endings), and/or angered ... how is the guilty party held to account? Will VCDL’s Legal Advisory Committee undertake some magical actions?  You know, to get the 'perhaps crime' charged, starting a long and rocky journey that might eventually lead to the adjudication that 'something criminal' did indeed transpire?

When someone tells me about something that "could" happen, I'm forced to recall the immortal words of Wayne:

Call me jaundiced.  Fine.  This is likely true.

Accuse me of not understanding the law.  Fine ... this is certainly true.

But don't pi$$ on my leg and tell me it's raining.  A swatter will be creatively charged, arrested, and prosecuted ... especially here in NoVa?  Yeah.  And monkeys might fly out of my butt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
never pass more laws unless absolutely necessary

there are a multitude of existing laws that could be used to prosecute these people. if they are not being charged, action needs to be targeted at the law enforcement agencies and CA to impress the necessity of punishing these crimes

the legislature is not a problem solver, in fact it is usually a problem maker
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This, plus the VCDL should stay on mission.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

there are a multitude of existing laws that could be used to prosecute these people. if they are not being charged, action needs to be targeted at the law enforcement agencies and CA to impress the necessity of punishing these crimes

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+2.  VCDL should not venture from helping pass better firearm laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top