Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 9:31:55 AM EDT
No joke, the guy really did walk into the 7-11.  

But he was open carrying.  And got swatted.  You guys see that VCDL blast?  I couldn't make it to the meeting.

Part of the story I found odd was the cops pulled him over on his motorcycle and the FIRST thing he does is "put both hands on his helmet and interlock his fingers"?  Seriously?  Like a common criminal?  I'd simply keep my hands on the handle bars and wait further instructions.  I'm not a crook and won't pretend to act like one in advance.

I won't let anything dissuade me from doing anything I want that is within the law (open carry), but I'm starting to think I should just concealed carry and get the jump on the perps, as Hawaii 5-0 would say.  I don't need this kind of headache.  And before you say "this is how the anti's win", I'm just stating my opinion that *I* don't need this kind of headache.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
gunnut I posted the full story from the e-mail that VCDL sent out. I hope thats ok as I think it should be shared with those who aren't on the mailing list.

ROBERT DICKEN’S STORY

Here is a summary of the event that Robert sent me:

On 10/15/14 at about 5:30 pm,  I stopped at a 7-11 for some coffee in the skyline area of Fairfax.

Like every other day when I'm off work, I had hopped on my motorcycle for a short ride . Being an open carry proponent, I didn't think twice about putting on my every-day-carry pistol.

After leaving the 7-11, I went to the Verizon store for some quick shopping. Both stores are within five miles of my home. Chores done, I decided to go for a nice ride around the block.

What's that Fairfax County officer looking at me like that for? Damn he's going to pull me over! Yep… Lights, boop boop. Sigh.  

Now I'm thinking that I've got my pistol on me and I’m asking myself how I would feel if I were an officer pulling over someone who was armed?  [PVC:  That is called “empathy,” something that normal, law-abiding people have, but violent criminals lack.]

Ok, turn the bike off, straddle the bike, interlock your hands on your head, and be calm.  [PVC:  Doing these steps calmly and slowly probably helped send a clear signal to the SIX responding officers in FOUR patrol cars that Robert was not a threat.]

As the officer gets out of his car, three other cars show up.

Wow, what did I do?

I let the first officer know that I have a firearm on my side. He says, "I know.”  I did not move an inch!

To my surprise not one of the at least six police officers have a weapon pointed at me.  [PVC:  Hats off to FCPD for their professional handling of this situation!  Robert’s life was not unnecessarily endangered during the stop by the police pointing their guns at him.]

The officer walks up behind me and asks if he can take the weapon from my holster.  “Yes, sir,” I replied.    

"Do you have any other weapons on you, sir?”

“Yes, sir, a knife in my pocket.”

"Ok I'm going to hold onto that also.”

“Yes, sir.  Why did you stop me?”

"I will get to that in a minute.”  [PVC:  Robert wisely decides to temporarily let the issue drop at this point.]

As I’m being frisked, I’m still not moving and am keeping my hands on my head.

"Sir, can I put my hands down now?,” I asked when the frisking was concluded.

“Yes, you can stand at ease.”

At this point I ask the officer what is going on.

“Well, we had a person call from 7-11 and they stated that a white guy on a motorcycle robbed the place.”

I laughed nervously and told the officer that I left a 7-11 30 minutes ago, but that I didn't rob the place!  [PVC:  This is where an attorney might advise the client to stop talking to the police for fear of saying something innocent that ends up getting misinterpreted.  To do so properly, you must verbally indicate you are invoking the Fifth Amendment and stop talking.  In this case it’s hard to argue with success, but one should be very, very cautious.]

I'm getting kind of angry now. I've heard of anti-gun people saying that they will call the police if they see an open carrier and make up some story to get the police to respond in a forceful manner.  

Wow, I could have been killed!  

Ten minutes later I'm on my way. With the police "checking the sanity of the caller.”

I put a call into the police station the following Monday and sent a email thanking FCPD for being very professional.

VCDL GETS INVOLVED

After learning of the event during a phone call from Robert, I filed a Freedom of Information Act request with Fairfax County and quickly got a copy of the 911 recording.  The name and phone number of the person who called were redacted from the recording.

I also talked to a Lieutenant with the Fairfax County Police Department about  the incident.  During the conversation I emphasized that VCDL takes SWATTING against a gun owner extremely seriously, especially where false claims that the gun owner committed a violent crime could lead to the gun owner being seriously hurt or even killed by responding officers.

The Lieutenant said he shared VCDL's concerns about SWATTING and said that FCPD takes such things seriously and would prosecute someone who FCPD can show did it maliciously.

The problem, I was told, is that the particular person who made the call is familiar to FCPD, as he has made other false calls before.  But he has never done them against a citizen, he said.  (I don’t know who the previous false calls were against.  Perhaps against some police officers?)  FCPD is concerned that he has mental health issues, and, if so, they won’t be able to prove intent.

ZERO TOLERANCE FOR MALICE

When malicious intent is there, VCDL will encourage the police to prosecute the offender to the full extent of the law and we will encourage the victim to go after the offender civilly as well.  It will be OUR turn to do some “swatting” of our own in court.

911 RECORDING

Here is a link to the 911 recording.  Somebody with a loose screw?  On drugs or alcohol?  A malicious anti, as he firmly states at one point that Robert took all the cash from the register?  Or just delusional? http://tinyurl.com/lso8nlt
View Quote

There are liberal nutjobs out there who would be proud of themselves for calling in a false report and having the cops shoot down an innocent law-abiding citizen who happened to be OC'ing.

To them (antis) law abiding gun owners are the enemy. And any means justifies the ends.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]

I think it should be shared with those who aren't on the mailing list.
View Quote
If you're NOT on the mailing list, I highly recommend it.

• You don't need to be a member

• They won't ask you for money

• They won't sell, rent or share your information

• It's one of the best sources for what's going on related to firearms in the Commonwealth.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ROBERT DICKEN’S STORY

I also talked to a Lieutenant with the Fairfax County Police Department about  the incident.  During the conversation I emphasized that VCDL takes SWATTING against a gun owner extremely seriously, especially where false claims that the gun owner committed a violent crime could lead to the gun owner being seriously hurt or even killed by responding officers.

The Lieutenant said he shared VCDL's concerns about SWATTING and said that FCPD takes such things seriously and would prosecute someone who FCPD can show did it maliciously.

The problem, I was told, is that the particular person who made the call is familiar to FCPD, as he has made other false calls before.  But he has never done them against a citizen, he said.  (I don’t know who the previous false calls were against.  Perhaps against some police officers?)  FCPD is concerned that he has mental health issues, and, if so, they won’t be able to prove intent.

Red Text. Surely someone who passed the Lieutenant's exam (among others) understands the role of police, vice that of the Commonwealth Attorney.  Charge/arrest the ba*stard who filed the false report, and let the criminal-justice system sort things out ... like is supposed to happen.  I won't bore anyone with a 'line in the sand' or 'saying "bomb" in an airport' rant.  But anything other than charging this crime is proof that there is no concern over such matters at FCPD.  

And without a charge, the criminal doesn't make the blotter ... and demonstrates that is safe to pull this stunt (just once <eye roll>) and continue to enjoy undeserved anonymity.  

Purple Text. I think I get it now.  In Fairfax County, if the FCPD is concerned that John Q. Public has 'mental health issues' ... well then John get's carte blanche for all crimes up to and include Class 1 misdemeanors.  Got'cha!  Here's a clue for the FCPD, just in case they happen to come across this thread.  The video tape (that assuredly was seized for 'evaluation as evidence' by one of those responding units) will show if there was "intent to mislead."  If the criminal-justice system determines John Q. Public suffers from psychotic delusions, then I'm sure this'll be treated under Obama-Care.

Were I Robert Dickens, I wouldn't let the matter drop without criminal charges having been filed.  (Without regard to whether or not he's pursuing civil redress.)  

A crime was committed.  Charge the crime!

BTW.  If you don't subscribe to VCDL VA-Alert, shame on you!  <- - Correct This Deficiency NOW! - ->
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the caller really is nuts/crazy/whatever, he may have actually believed the place had been robbed. No one is going to waste time trying to prosecute something like that.
View Quote

Yup.  That's why the CA's staff has a template called "nolle Prosequi" or similar in their word-processing application ... to which the essential info only needs to be added.

Unless they establish that a crime was not committed (which seems unlikely based on the anecdotes I've come across), the police should charge/arrest the criminal.  This establishes both a public record of the crime, and demonstrates 'caring and concern' in a tangible way.  (You know.  A zero-tolerance standard.  Sort of like talking suggestively about Ebola or a bomb on an airplane.)  

BTW.  I believe the same about swatting of all types ... This is not anything like Skype-ordering 10 pizzas for delivery to a bud's house.  This crap is deadly serious.   Charge the MF'ers with whatever is possible.  Before someone gets shot or killed.  Either a cop, or someone who was lawfully carrying a handgun.  For example, if someone breaks down my door at zero-dark-thirty they are likely going find me on the defense ... no matter what they might yell.  If someone is injured or dies in a hail of gunfire, and it turns out that I was swatted ... as an eff'ing joke or because some loon is concerned I've got a gun ... what will be the reactions?

Many cops have no problem 'papering' someone that injures their sensibilities, even if there was no risk of gunfire involved (and sometimes, no real crime committed before the encounter).  Why not 'paper' the scumbags who create a situation that can go tragically wrong in many, many ways?  Once word spreads that there are consequences, it'll decrease the attractiveness of such 'fun.'

What with the mention of VCDL and their concerns in this thread, I'm now wondering if they've got anything on their legislation-lobbying agenda ...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The victim of this incident spoke at the VCDL meeting on Thursday night - regardless of whether you like the idea of being submissive to the cops when they pull you over, this guy did what he had to do to avoid getting shot by the police.  He sensed something was up when he got pulled over by four marked units, and he acted carefully.  I'd do the same if it were me getting pulled over.

Philip also played the recording of the 911 call - it was fairly evident that the caller (the perpetrator of the "swatting" incident) had many screws loose and wasn't telling a coherent story to the dispatcher. Based on the dispatcher's responses, I don't think the dispatcher really took the caller seriously.  That (combined with Mr. Dickens' response when the police pulled him over) was probably a major contributor to no one getting shot here.

The scary thing to think about is how this might have turned out differently if the caller were more believable and didn't sound crazy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup.  That's why the CA's staff has a template called "nolle Prosequi" or similar in their word-processing application ... to which the essential info only needs to be added.

Unless they establish that a crime was not committed (which seems unlikely based on the anecdotes I've come across), the police should charge/arrest the criminal.  This establishes both a public record of the crime, and demonstrates 'caring and concern' in a tangible way.  (You know.  A zero-tolerance standard.  Sort of like talking suggestively about Ebola or a bomb on an airplane.)  

BTW.  I believe the same about swatting of all types ... This is not anything like Skype-ordering 10 pizzas for delivery to a bud's house.  This crap is deadly serious.   Charge the MF'ers with whatever is possible.  Before someone gets shot or killed.  Either a cop, or someone who was lawfully carrying a handgun.  For example, if someone breaks down my door at zero-dark-thirty they are likely going find me on the defense ... no matter what they might yell.  If someone is injured or dies in a hail of gunfire, and it turns out that I was swatted ... as an eff'ing joke or because some loon is concerned I've got a gun ... what will be the reactions?

Many cops have no problem 'papering' someone that injures their sensibilities, even if there was no risk of gunfire involved (and sometimes, no real crime committed before the encounter).  Why not 'paper' the scumbags who create a situation that can go tragically wrong in many, many ways?  Once word spreads that there are consequences, it'll decrease the attractiveness of such 'fun.'

What with the mention of VCDL and their concerns in this thread, I'm now wondering if they've got anything on their legislation-lobbying agenda ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the caller really is nuts/crazy/whatever, he may have actually believed the place had been robbed. No one is going to waste time trying to prosecute something like that.

Philip mentioned that VCDL was considering whether a legislative solution was needed here.  However, there may already be sufficient legal basis for charging "swatters" with a crime.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
After listening too this tape.. The caller sounds like he's not all there..
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No joke, the guy really did walk into the 7-11.  

But he was open carrying.  And got swatted.  You guys see that VCDL blast?  I couldn't make it to the meeting.

Part of the story I found odd was the cops pulled him over on his motorcycle and the FIRST thing he does is "put both hands on his helmet and interlock his fingers"?  Seriously?  Like a common criminal?  I'd simply keep my hands on the handle bars and wait further instructions.  I'm not a crook and won't pretend to act like one in advance.

I won't let anything dissuade me from doing anything I want that is within the law (open carry), but I'm starting to think I should just concealed carry and get the jump on the perps, as Hawaii 5-0 would say.  I don't need this kind of headache.  And before you say "this is how the anti's win", I'm just stating my opinion that *I* don't need this kind of headache.

Discuss.
View Quote

Perhaps he didn't want to give off the impression that he was going to try and take off on his motorcycle?  Maybe if that was his though process he could have just removed his helmet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The guy calling-in sounds more like he does not know what he is talking about.  All he called in to report was a robbery and the 911 operator practically fed him everything else.

Did he point the gun at the clerk...yep!
You saw him take the cash out of the register...yea he took everything!

He should have been asked generically as to how he knew it was a robbery as well as how  he knew it was a 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Perhaps he didn't want to give off the impression that he was going to try and take off on his motorcycle?  Maybe if that was his though process he could have just removed his helmet.
View Quote

Anything is possible.  I'm certainly not going to second guess his actions, he did what he felt like doing with a split second decision.  He's alive and safe, and that's all that matters.

Those were his and mine would have been different.  I wasn't there (at the meeting or during the 'SWAT' raid) but his own statements seem to be that the police were quite calm, weren't aggressive, nor had weapons drawn.  I would have just left my hands on the handlebars (or steering wheel in a car) until told otherwise.  Who knows, any movement at all could have panicked one of them into thinking you have intentions on doing something.  But no movement at all - hypothetically - shows no intention to do anything.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but it's just not something I would have done without instructions.  Anyone else think that's strange behavior during a normal traffic stop?  Why would he have reason to think this is anything other than a normal traffic stop?  Seeing that many cops/cars would have weird-ed me out, which is why I would have done absolutely nothing.

Am I off my rocker here?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anything is possible.  I'm certainly not going to second guess his actions, he did what he felt like doing with a split second decision.  He's alive and safe, and that's all that matters.

Those were his and mine would have been different.  I wasn't there (at the meeting or during the 'SWAT' raid) but his own statements seem to be that the police were quite calm, weren't aggressive, nor had weapons drawn.  I would have just left my hands on the handlebars (or steering wheel in a car) until told otherwise.  Who knows, any movement at all could have panicked one of them into thinking you have intentions on doing something.  But no movement at all - hypothetically - shows no intention to do anything.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but it's just not something I would have done without instructions.  Anyone else think that's strange behavior during a normal traffic stop?  Why would he have reason to think this is anything other than a normal traffic stop?  Seeing that many cops/cars would have weird-ed me out, which is why I would have done absolutely nothing.

Am I off my rocker here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I off my rocker here?

If 4 cop cars show up behind me im going to be scared to death and I will do whatever they tell me to do, even more-so if im wearing my pistol. Some cops can be very trigger happy these days. And im not trying to go down in a hail of bullets as an innocent man.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The guy calling-in sounds more like he does not know what he is talking about.  All he called in to report was a robbery and the 911 operator practically fed him everything else.

He should have been asked generically as to how he knew it was a robbery as well as how  he knew it was a 9mm.
View Quote

You do realize they have to ask questions but don't have time to dawdle around because a robbery is viewed as a pretty serious and time sensitive matter, right?

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You do realize they have to ask questions but don't have time to dawdle around because a robbery is viewed as a pretty serious and time sensitive matter, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I didn't get the sense from the recording that that the dispatcher felt much urgency....which sounds like the right reaction to me given how crazy the caller sounds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Actually I didn't get the sense from the recording that that the dispatcher felt much urgency....which sounds like the right reaction to me given how crazy the caller sounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you expect the dispatcher to get all excited?  Because they probably kind of refrain from doing so, trying to be all professional and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because a dispatcher maintains her composure doesn't mean that there isn't a REPORT of a violent felony that just happened, with a POSSIBLY violent suspect on the loose.

Granted, the facts turned out to be something entirely different, but the police would indeed be horribly negligent if they didn't treat it as serious.

The fault here lays with the caller. He should go to jail. His INTENTIONAL false claims to the police deprived a person of their liberty and rights.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just because a dispatcher maintains her composure doesn't mean that there isn't a REPORT of a violent felony that just happened, with a POSSIBLY violent suspect on the loose.

Granted, the facts turned out to be something entirely different, but the police would indeed be horribly negligent if they didn't treat it as serious.

The fault here lays with the caller. He should go to jail. His INTENTIONAL false claims to the police deprived a person of their liberty and rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, and I believe Philip mentioned that he was looking into whether he could get a recording of the dispatcher's call to the responding officers.  I would be interested to see how it was communicated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#20]
For the record, pleading "the fifth" doesn't do a thing on the street.  That's something you do in court, in front of a judge.  On the street with police you just say you don't want to say anything if you don't want to say anything.  

I do think the gentleman in the article handled himself well, as well as FCPD.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Good info there. Since we're not in GD, I guess we can have a rational conversation here?

I feel bad for police on this issue. On the one hand, they know they have to respect the rights of firearms owners/carriers. VCDL, from what I can tell, has made a point of being very vocal and pro-active.

On the other hand, can you imagine the shit storm if they simply ignored reports of a robbery or "guy walking around with a gun," and it turned out to be something heinous?

Also, the way the guy handled being stopped by the police is a good example to follow. It might be hard, but you have to keep a calm head on you and simply comply.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good info there. Since we're not in GD, I guess we can have a rational conversation here?

I feel bad for police on this issue. On the one hand, they know they have to respect the rights of firearms owners/carriers. VCDL, from what I can tell, has made a point of being very vocal and pro-active.

On the other hand, can you imagine the shit storm if they simply ignored reports of a robbery or "guy walking around with a gun," and it turned out to be something heinous?

Also, the way the guy handled being stopped by the police is a good example to follow. It might be hard, but you have to keep a calm head on you and simply comply.
View Quote

A point I'd like to also make is that most departments policies require officers to contact a supervisor upon a citizens request.  If at any time you feel something is going south and is an error on the officer your dealing signs part, remaining calm and polite and asking to speak with a supervisor can work wonders.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think we're doing good so far.  

Quoted:

A point I'd like to also make is that most departments policies require officers to contact a supervisor upon a citizens request.  If at any time you feel something is going south and is an error on the officer your dealing signs part, remaining calm and polite and asking to speak with a supervisor can work wonders.

I'm almost 100% certain that is the case with both FFX police and PWC police.

Your point about remaining calm and polite is spot on, as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On the other hand, can you imagine the shit storm if they simply ignored reports of a robbery or "guy walking around with a gun,"
View Quote

In no small part because of VCDL's advocacy, reports of "guy walking around with a gun," are treated by properly trained call-center staff (and patrol officers) as would any other lawful behavior.  I've read anecdotes of both call-center types and Officers Friendly taking the opportunity to impart some 'edjimication' on the misguided one whose panties are in a wad because they see someone who is peaceably -- and presumably, lawfully ... e.g., not brandishing -- openly carrying a firearm.  One of unintended consequences of well trained call-center operators here in the Commonwealth could be an 'escalation' with respect to the severity conveyed in the false report. The neighborhood organizers ... err ... rabble-rousers tend to shift their strategies as they believe is necessary to reach their objectives.

I didn't mention one aspect of charging such scrotes that I believe also merits consideration from a public-policy perspective.  Unless swatting is charged ... and in a manner that can be identified when the monthly statistics are compiled ... the extent of the problem can always be trivialized.  "There's no evidence that ..." often really means "We took great care to ensure you can't demonstrate ..."  This is one of the reasons that illegal immigrants are virtually never charged with violations (and sometimes even crimes) for which lawful residents/citizens are/would be charged here in Arlington. In my estimation, that is.

Here's what the FBI had to say about swatting back in February 2008. For an interesting read, here's a more recent article about what could be an emerging trend among anti-2A activists, such as MDA ... which does not mean Moms Demanding Anal, so don't go there.

<ETA>

Chuckling while thinking of logos that might portray the fictitious MDA described above, I forgot to included this link, which I believe is a must read.  I wonder why this incident hasn't been publicized 'Ferguson style' by the media ...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thought too.  I'd bet the dispatcher told the cops "caller sounds like a nut bag." Still, cops are sorta obligated to check, and seemed to handle the whole thing well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My thought too.  I'd bet the dispatcher told the cops "caller sounds like a nut bag." Still, cops are sorta obligated to check, and seemed to handle the whole thing well.
View Quote

After listening to that call again carefully, the dispatcher seemed incredulous at his explanation.  "So... wait, you weren't inside the store?"  "How do you know he robbed it?"  "Can you please go inside and put one of the employees on the phone?"  

Wouldn't surprise me to find out 911 or an officer made contact with the store before the stop.

I also found it funny that he was so scared he went and waited on his bus to come, then boarded and waiting a bit, THEN called 911.  Dispatchers hear crazy stuff all day - the best and worst of humanity.  But they also have heard enough robbery calls to know that call didn't make much sense.

Prince William County Police have seen me open carry before, it was obvious they saw it, but didn't bat an eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top