Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 2:52:55 PM EDT
Is it lawful to carry concealed (with CCW permit) in Chesapeake City Parks?

I am going to be doing some day hikes at NW River Park and was curious if it's lawful to carry.

I have a North Carolina CCW permit, which has reciprocity with Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Virginia state law does not permit localities to regulate the carrying of firearms.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You can carry.

Don't steal our wiimins.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Virginia state law does not permit localities to regulate the carrying of firearms.
View Quote

Good to go in State/City parks. State preempts localities.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone, now I can carry in confidence!!!

BiggiBen, I had forgotten about you. I remember the good old days at the Waverly Shoots out at RealVirginian's place.

Hope all is well with you and the family.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can carry.

Don't steal our wiimins.

View Quote

Coming out of the wood works i see
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow!!!  Blasts from the past!!!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Putting the band back together

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish we could, but RealVirginian has lost his interest and enthusiasm for shooting the AR it seems. I don't even think he is a member here anymore. He has replaced it with an enthusiasm for guitar. You can see his videos on Youtube if you look up MrJimJim1952.

My backyard range has improved quite a bit since last you were down. Still room for more improvement though, but at least water drains from it now and we don't have to slog through ankle deep mud to shoot.

Still it's not good enough to host a shoot like we used to in the "good old days".

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
RealVirginian  was at my place west of Waverly with a couple  of friends to shoot last month. The friends had a shotgun  shoot clays  with and a rifle to sight in. I took my UZI since they had never shot full auto. I demonstrated the UZI and then RV and myself just watched the others shoot it. This is where I do my full auto shooting now. I had my Type 99 LMG  there and after some work on the bolt and carrier got it to load, fire and extract, but not eject, since it was sold to me with NO ejector.  After  call to AZ. to a friend, I got an original mailed to me. Still haven't tested it yet.
 The reason we can't shoot at RV's anymore is because the landowner died and his survivors saw no reason to let us continue to shoot. You may remember the owner(first name Forrest) brought a group of Boy Scouts one weekend and I let them shoot my mac 9/11 and we bought some BBQ.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Bob, I remember all that well. Those were some of the best times that I have had in quite awhile.

I am glad to hear that you and RV are still in touch. We had an email exchange going awhile back, but he broke contact and I haven't heard from him for over a year now.

Good to see you on here.

VA-gunnut is right, it's good to see some of the old names pop up. It brings back some great memories. Wish we had a place like RV's to shoot again. I am constantly looking and networking down here in NE North Carolina looking for a similar big farm setup.  Don't have any prospects yet though.

Quoted:
RealVirginian  was at my place west of Waverly with a couple  of friends to shoot last month. The friends had a shotgun  shoot clays  with and a rifle to sight in. I took my UZI since they had never shot full auto. I demonstrated the UZI and then RV and myself just watched the others shoot it. This is where I do my full auto shooting now. I had my Type 99 LMG  there and after some work on the bolt and carrier got it to load, fire and extract, but not eject, since it was sold to me with NO ejector.  After  call to AZ. to a friend, I got an original mailed to me. Still haven't tested it yet.
 The reason we can't shoot at RV's anymore is because the landowner died and his survivors saw no reason to let us continue to shoot. You may remember the owner(first name Forrest) brought a group of Boy Scouts one weekend and I let them shoot my mac 9/11 and we bought some BBQ.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the code section you want to look at.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. However, no locality shall adopt any workplace rule, other than for the purposes of a community services board or behavioral health authority as defined in § 37.2-100, that prevents an employee of that locality from storing at that locality's workplace a lawfully possessed firearm and ammunition in a locked private motor vehicle. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101, from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail, juvenile detention facility, or state-governed entity, department, or agency.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

D. For purposes of this section, "workplace" means "workplace of the locality."

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923; 2009, cc. 735, 772; 2012, c. 757.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top