Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 3:30:54 PM EDT
So I've been talking with a few buddies about a Carbine Course, and a few of us are interested.

I've been shooting for 15 years now...
I've done a couple of defensive handgun courses, and I feel proficient in that.

I want to find a Carbine course, to see what it is like.  I've seen a bunch of videos of training centers and scenario situations, but not sure what level i need to find, if there are any levels like Beginner, Intermediate, Expert, Rambo...

I'd like to think I'm not a beginner, but I'd probably want to start there.

Any thought on where to look, or where to begin?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
In.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If money is no issue and you seek top quality training, get with Jimmy at F3 Tactical. They are in the know with most top trainers in the area or visiting trainers offering classes in the area. However most are advanced / intermediate level.

Tango Down Range offered a few classes last summer with Steve "yeti" Fisher
Pat Rogers is local, top notch instructor!
Matt Jacques, Victory First  featured in this months Recoil Magazine is in the area as well.

There are other lower cost classes, but the above mentioned are definitely worth the coin!!

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical.  http://eagtactical.com
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Echo Valley training Center they host a bunch of well respected trainers and they are just outside of Winchester. F3 is good people and cant point you in the right direction also. If you are willing to travel I cant recommend Pat Goodale and the crew at Pat Goodales Practical Firearms Training. Their home range is in Alderson WV but they travel to PA some also not sure which would be closer to you
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a video from the Tactical Carbine II course I did last month at Tango Down Range in Hedgesville, WV (about 45min north of Winchester)-
CUJ3pQ45U0s

I will be posting the next course on here or if you Facebook check out-
TOC

If this is the type of training you were looking for let me know. I'm based out of Stephens City, VA.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There might even be vacancies for this weekend's class at Echo Valley...
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Run, don't walk to sign up for that before it fills up.  EAG is the best you'll find, and Echo Valley is a great range.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, Thanks for all the leads!  I did look into echo valley at one time, I'll look again.

I've been talking to my neighbor, he is DHS Trainer, he says he know a bunch of people that are good carbine instructors, and would make them selves available.
So that might work since i have 6 people.

Hedgesville is not far either :)

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I need one that is basic, but isn't basic.  The EAG basic carbine one covers nomenclature, assembly/disassembly, sighting, cleaning, etc as part of their basic course.  I've built an SBR from scratch - that basic class would drive me to suicide.  But the intermediate course seems significantly more advanced than the basic.  I need a good basic course that doesn't treat me like I just purchased an AR at the last gun show.

Confused...  
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Boprofessional- if you've got 6 or more people and a location we can bring the course to you. We've got a 14' enclosed trailer filled with targets, stands, and steel. The course can be structured to the audience. The course shown in the video link was originally listed as a level one course, but all the students that signed up had previous experience and wanted something more, so we gave it to them
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You would not be disappointed with the basic class from them.

Every class I've attended started with a quick review and progressed as quickly as the slowest student. In those classes that had experienced shooters, we just moved on to more advanced shooting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need one that is basic, but isn't basic.  The EAG basic carbine one covers nomenclature, assembly/disassembly, sighting, cleaning, etc as part of their basic course.  I've built an SBR from scratch - that basic class would drive me to suicide.  But the intermediate course seems significantly more advanced than the basic.  I need a good basic course that doesn't treat me like I just purchased an AR at the last gun show.

Confused...  

You would not be disappointed with the basic class from them.

Every class I've attended started with a quick review and progressed as quickly as the slowest student. In those classes that had experienced shooters, we just moved on to more advanced shooting.

Alright then.  Now I need to figure out when they are going to be offering local classes.  Looks like none are on the schedule.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
EAG is conducting their 'Carbine Operator' course at Echo Valley Trng Center (High View, WV)
17-19 October (next weekend).

I have taken this and the 'Carbine2' course. 'Carbine Operator' is not a basic class, nor is it a high-speed shoot-house/cqb course.

You'll be fine. Go train with Pat and be happy you went.

Also, I have taken carbine classes with Tactical Operations Consulting (TacOpCon) and Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy (CCJA). One is down at Fredericksburg (CCJA) and the other is the WV panhandle (TacOpCon).

EDIT:

One more thing, if you go to the EAG course, make sure your rifle has a decent zero. You'll zero it the first day, but, things will go faster if you have at least a 'rough' zero.

This should apply pretty much to any course you attend.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Confused...  
View Quote

I think you would fit in with my group. We are all beyond the basic build and function, if we can put something together, you could be our 7th.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Boprofessional- if you've got 6 or more people and a location we can bring the course to you. We've got a 14' enclosed trailer filled with targets, stands, and steel. The course can be structured to the audience. The course shown in the video link was originally listed as a level one course, but all the students that signed up had previous experience and wanted something more, so we gave it to them
View Quote

This would actually be awesome. Although a location might be harder to round up.

I belong to IWL, WFCCC clubs, but they are restricted to members, borrowing the range for a day would most likely be out of the question.

I have a friend in WV, with some property, where we used to camp and shoot, but it's been a year, and some lots near him started to build homes...

Any idea what it would cost to rent echo valley? I think we could get up to 10 people, if a few more locals were on board.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think you would fit in with my group. We are all beyond the basic build and function, if we can put something together, you could be our 7th.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confused...  

Sure, I'd be up for that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I would be in for this.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Bofessional,
Let me know if you've got a location. In the mean time I'm talking with two agencies (one in WV and one in VA) about using their ranges for weekend classes. As soon as something comes together on my end I will let you know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bofessional,
Let me know if you've got a location. In the mean time I'm talking with two agencies (one in WV and one in VA) about using their ranges for weekend classes. As soon as something comes together on my end I will let you know.
View Quote

Awesome,
I'm not entrenched yet with the local vibe, as we just moved here this year.
With that being said, me finding a location may not pan out, but I will try.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Bofessional
Even if we can't set up a course this time around, I'm always looking for guys to go shooting with. Maybe we can plan a trip out to Tango Down or The Cove.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bofessional
Even if we can't set up a course this time around, I'm always looking for guys to go shooting with. Maybe we can plan a trip out to Tango Down or The Cove.
View Quote

Absolutely.
A buddy and me, also a member here, will be heading to the cove on the 30th, its a Thursday, hopefully to have the place to ourselves.

I normally go though a bunch of rounds every Sunday Morning as well.
I'll Message you my Contact info

Bo
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Every now and then, taking the course that you think is below you is just the ticket that's needed to propel you to the next tier in your training regimen.

Assuming quality instruction like EAG Tactical, Redback One, Pat MacNamara, Mike Pannone, and some others I have seen train students at Echo Valley their "basic" class WILL teach you something you didn't already know, or allow you to work in your own space on things you need to improve.

They will set a par time for open enrollment class levels.  Burn that par time on every iteration while keeping all your shots in the "A", work on reload proficiency, setup malfunctions with snap caps, and try to still maintain par time.  Use the harder, or less stable, alternate shooting positions and maintain "A's", and keep par time.

Don't freelance, and don't be unsafe, but there is quite a bit to learn while enrolled in a basic course from a quality instruction outfit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Every now and then, taking the course that you think is below you is just the ticket that's needed to propel you to the next tier in your training regimen.

Assuming quality instruction like EAG Tactical, Redback One, Pat MacNamara, Mike Pannone, and some others I have seen train students at Echo Valley their "basic" class WILL teach you something you didn't already know, or allow you to work in your own space on things you need to improve.

They will set a par time for open enrollment class levels.  Burn that par time on every iteration while keeping all your shots in the "A", work on reload proficiency, setup malfunctions with snap caps, and try to still maintain par time.  Use the harder, or less stable, alternate shooting positions and maintain "A's", and keep par time.

Don't freelance, and don't be unsafe, but there is quite a bit to learn while enrolled in a basic course from a quality instruction outfit.
View Quote

Thanks for your input, like I said, I've never taken a carbine course, and Skipping to an advanced class, is not something I'm looking to do.  
I am however trying to engage into an existing session, but since it appears we have the numbers to put a session together, this is something worth looking into.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Just FYI.
My class at EVTC this weekend is not a Basic Carbine Course, but rather a Carbine Operators Course.
Having said that, my definition of a BCC may not match yours.
You mat want to ask some who have taken a BCC to comment on its content. Jimmy at F3 would be a good start.

The first BCC we did in Culpepper had SWAT cops, patrol cops, SF, Marines and average earth people, and that has pretty much been that way ever since- much different than what I envisioned.
Apparently professionals appreciate the basics.
Enough so that we are changing the title and POI to reflect this.

However, I this COC we have Marines and Soldiers and Feds and Cops and Nuke Security officer, Dr, college student,, IT guys...
They are from MI, NC, MD and VA

No matter,  the class is full, and has been for a while.

Self training is a myth, and if you are serious about firearms and the use, seek professional training.
There are a number of talented folks who teach a variety of classes directed at a variety of students.

Do your homework, find someone that teaches what you are loking for, and go to it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just FYI.
My class at EVTC this weekend is not a Basic Carbine Course, but rather a Carbine Operators Course.
Having said that, my definition of a BCC may not match yours.
You mat want to ask some who have taken a BCC to comment on its content. Jimmy at F3 would be a good start.

The first BCC we did in Culpepper had SWAT cops, patrol cops, SF, Marines and average earth people, and that has pretty much been that way ever since- much different than what I envisioned.
Apparently professionals appreciate the basics.
Enough so that we are changing the title and POI to reflect this.

However, I this COC we have Marines and Soldiers and Feds and Cops and Nuke Security officer, Dr, college student,, IT guys...
They are from MI, NC, MD and VA

No matter,  the class is full, and has been for a while.

Self training is a myth, and if you are serious about firearms and the use, seek professional training.
There are a number of talented folks who teach a variety of classes directed at a variety of students.

Do your homework, find someone that teaches what you are loking for, and go to it.
View Quote

Pat,
Thanks for Chiming in. Your outfit  has been recommend by several folks here so your input carries some weight.
Still doing homework, this is part of it.  I'll reach out to jimmy, Ive been to F3 a few times.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#26]
bofessional - keep me posted if you find something, I'm interested.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#27]
My pleasure!

This is all about sharing information, but it is not always easy on any end.

If you have questions, send me an e mail [email protected]

Good luck with your endeavors!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
bofessional - keep me posted if you find something, I'm interested.
View Quote

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#29]
If you're still looking I'm Aaron from MVT click me. We're known more for the tactical rather than combat shooting classes but we've recently had a lot of success with them.

Check out our page here for my Combat Rifle course.

The facility is located in Romney WV which is about an hour West of Winchester. If you have any questions feel free to IM me.

Aaron
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you're still looking I'm Aaron from MVT click me. We're known more for the tactical rather than combat shooting classes but we've recently had a lot of success with them.

Check out our page here for my Combat Rifle course.

The facility is located in Romney WV which is about an hour West of Winchester. If you have any questions feel free to IM me.

Aaron
View Quote

Cool Thanks for the link, Looks like you guys have a pretty big out fit.

I did sign up for a pistol course, albeit, not a carbine course with TOC, for Nov 15th
If anyone is interested it is here with flyer
TOC FB Page

Last I saw, is 3 Spots Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top