Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 5:23:01 PM EDT
I had some business to take care of at a small shop at "the corner" in Charlottesville, right across from the University. I haven't been there in a long time, but remember it well from my days at UVA in the early 60s.

The traffic in the entire area is absolutely beyond belief. I drove in from NoVa on US 29 about noon, and headed back home about 230. If I hadn't seen it myself, I would not have believed it. Route 29 was bumper to bumper from north of Rio Road all the way down to the University, and University Avenue from Rte29 to the corner was just as bad. Traffic right in the area of the Corner must be the worst of anywhere in the state, and there are new stores and shopping centers up Rte 29 as far as the eye can see.

My wife and I were considering Charlottesville as a place we might like to live when we down-size and sell our place in the country.

Not any more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a little congested.....certainly not the 1960s anymore, but at least Cville has predictable traffic flows and maintains a recreational feel.  DC/NOVA took years off of me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, traffic can suck in parts of cville at certain times of the day. But it's not like you don't run into bumper-to-bumper traffic anywhere in Reston or Fairfax, or in Shortpump in the middle of the day.

Heck, try driving through Blacksburg when class lets out. That's always good for at least a 10 minute standstill.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't give up on it, it's a nice town.  When approaching from the east, west and south it isn't too bad  but from the north, or trying to drive north, not so good.  I hope VDOT will build a proper bypass.

To avoid high property taxes look at Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson or Albemarle counties...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
NoVA is nothing like it was in the 60's

This is the story of most places in VA - infrastructure upgrades never happened on the roads while they built housing like a mad house
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck US 29 in Cville. The local gentry of liberal local government keeps trying to make a US highway into a shopping district.

There are more accidents in Albermarle and Cville than the rest of it from NC and Gainesville, and they will not build a bypass like every other city has.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I love Cville. Sure, there is some traffic in some places but I can get from one side of town to the other in 10 minutes. Just as with any city, you need to know which areas to avoid at certain times of the day.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]

I work on the corner.  I have no idea what was going on yesterday, but I glanced out the window just now and there's virtually no traffic.  My wife and the pastor from my church drive to the corner several times a month to have lunch with me and never get stuck in traffic, either.  

And I commuted down Route 29 from Greene county to the UVA area every single day for 13 years up until yesterday, unless there was construction I could make my 13 mile drive in around 25 minutes.  It's true that we moved out of town last year but I still occasionally drive home by going up 29 into greene county and taking 33 east from there, and the traffic isn't any worse than I remember, even at rush hour.  It can get a bit bad between Barracks Road and Hydraulic but it moves.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
It's all about TIMING... Locals know when to avoid certain areas. or they are the locals trapped in it due to work commutes. At the "normal" times, we drive through UVa on Main, past the Corner, just to see the people and fun. Not so bad normally.

I work at Uva, but commute from the south side of town, towards Scottsville. I have a very easy commute, no complaints.

Nothing like NoVa or Richmond, or other big east cities... Hell no!

Rmpl
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#9]
US highways weren't made for going to WalMart, Atlas Comics, IHOP, or to get tapad. They wrre made for through traffic, which screeches to a halt in Cville.  When 64 was diverted from Lynchburg, Cville promised a high traffic connector to. 29. They plowed right up to Vinegar Hill and stopped. D
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
US highways weren't made for going to WalMart, Atlas Comics, IHOP, or to get tapad. They wrre made for through traffic, which screeches to a halt in Cville.  When 64 was diverted from Lynchburg, Cville promised a high traffic connector to. 29. They plowed right up to Vinegar Hill and stopped. D
View Quote

Did they go from Rugby Road to Vinegar Hill?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to take Mom to two appointments at UVA in the morning. Fuck me, I'd just soon take a beating.

I guess I'll get to see Consuela and her five kids (with one on the way) heading to the preggo clinic.....That is if she can get by "double-wide" Laquesia and her equally "wide turn" assed girl friends.

It's a fucking FSA zoo. I fucking hate Charlottesville.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exit 120. 4 lanes in to Elliot Ave, then ever narrowing. They bulldozrd Vinegar Hill in the name of progress, but never continued with road construction.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Exit 120. 4 lanes in to Elliot Ave, then ever narrowing. They bulldozrd Vinegar Hill in the name of progress, but never continued with road construction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummmm. It was a joke.

Ever hear the UVA drinking song "From Rugby Road to Vinegar Hill, we're gonna get drunk tonight..."?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ummmm. It was a joke.

Ever hear the UVA drinking song "From Rugby Road to Vinegar Hill, we're gonna get drunk tonight..."?
View Quote

I bleed orange and blue, but not from UVA. My experience with the school is limited to excursions to the corner for Voodoo Wings, Gyros, and one drunken night, a Gusburger.

So... no, never heard that ditty.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DC/NOVA took years off of me.
View Quote

Some days I wish I was a plumber or lawyer or someone who could work in big towns or small ones.  Being in IT security means I'm stuck in a few places in the country.. this being one of them.  

And all of them are high rent.  Can't even go back home to Texas unless I want to live in Dallas, Houston, or Austin.  Might as well stay here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate C-ville. I feel like I'm behind enemy lines whenever I have to go to the medical center.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hate C-ville. I feel like I'm behind enemy lines whenever I have to go to the medical center.
View Quote

Well UVA MC certainly did not disappoint yesterday. Even more FSA that I'm used to seeing.

I bet I saw more size 18 asses poured into size ten jeans than I've seen in years.

It would be OK if they were some hot UVA students to off-set them but they must keep all them locked away somewhere. The ones I saw walking about went from plain to just plain homely other than a few very cute Asian women.

BTW....DOT must simply be retarded down there. Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to shut down one lane of Rt. 29 on a Friday afternoon to fucking mow?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well UVA MC certainly did not disappoint yesterday. Even more FSA that I'm used to seeing.

I bet I saw more size 18 asses poured into size ten jeans than I've seen in years.

It would be OK if they were some hot UVA students to off-set them but they must keep all them locked away somewhere. The ones I saw walking about went from plain to just plain homely other than a few very cute Asian women.

BTW....DOT must simply be retarded down there. Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to shut down one lane of Rt. 29 on a Friday afternoon to fucking mow?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There used to a separate facility known as "Student Health", where all UVA students went for medical care. I suppose it's still there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The place is crawling with Asians these days. And year round too. We joke about them running a new Asian country on the side.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I moved to the area a few years ago. These are my humble observations. Charlottesville is a nice place to live close to, but not such a great place in which to live. You cannot buy  nice property in Cville proper, which isn't backed up to an area you don't want to be close to. Look at western Albemarle for a residence. Utilize the resources in Cville, but don't buy there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The place is crawling with Asians these days. And year round too. We joke about them running a new Asian country on the side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a mess of them there sure enough. Those tennis courts you drive by are always full of them. The females in the tennis dresses are very cute in a Anime sort of way.

LOL....You sort of have to be sort of careful lusting after the Asian females......They could be 16 or 26 and you could not tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I moved to the area a few years ago. These are my humble observations. Charlottesville is a nice place to live close to, but not such a great place in which to live. You cannot buy  nice property in Cville proper, which isn't backed up to an area you don't want to be close to. Look at western Albemarle for a residence. Utilize the resources in Cville, but don't buy there.
View Quote

I'll agree with this. I'll also say that I've not generally found the people in the area particularly friendly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
, but remember it well from my days at UVA in the early 60s.

View Quote

Wow, I didn't realize how old you were.

C-Ville has become more of a destination for a lot of people over the last decade or so. I used to love going to Carter Mountain Orchard, but now it is complete mob scene there this time of year. Traffic getting onto the mountain backs up all the way down the hill and up Route 53.

As far as the hospital being full of FSA, blivets, and other people of Walmart - that is the norm at most hospitals anymore, especially large academic ones. VCU (formerly known as MCV) in Richmond is the same way. Even some of the private hospitals aren't much better.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I graduated from Albemarle High in 1987, when it was 2 lanes each direction on 29 and biggest attraction was the Bo jangles, and Crutchfields "basement" shopping near the airport

This spring we went though and I went to show off some old areas wow what a change
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I'm a certified member of the old farts club.

In the summer of 1963, I was the first white student at UVA to have a roommate "of color". When I signed up for my dorm room, there was a question on the application about whether I would object to a roommate of another race. I knew that there were no African-Americans (they were known as "negroes" in those days) at UVA, so I said okay. Well, surprise, surprise!

He was actually a pretty good guy. I've had worse roommates, to be sure. But you have to remember, that this was before the passage of the civil rights act of 1964.  I remember the two of us going into The Virginian, on The Corner, two doors down from Mincer's Pipe Shop. We sat down in a booth, and waited for the waitress to take our order. But the owner, Frank Kessler, told us that he could not serve my roommate. I told him that we were both university students, but he wouldn't change his mind, and told us we had to leave. It was 22 years before I set foot in that place again, and only after I checked to make sure that Frank didn't still own the place.

One Saturday night, about 5 guys from the dorm went out to a place on 29 where you could ride go-carts. We went up to the ticket booth to get tickets, and the guy there points at my roomie and says "That guy there can't ride". So we go to the batting cages, just a few hundred yards down the road, and the guy there says. "That guy there can't play". So we go to the Putt-Putt, and get the same thing. All the white guys in our group are mad as shit, but my roomie keeps his cool, and says. "Now you guys are getting an education about how things really are."

Like I said in one of my other posts, things in Charlottesville have changed a lot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In the summer of 1963, I was the first white student at UVA to have a roommate "of color". When I signed up for my dorm room, there was a question on the application about whether I would object to a roommate of another race. I knew that there were no African-Americans (they were known as "negroes" in those days) at UVA, so I said okay. Well, surprise, surprise!

He was actually a pretty good guy. I've had worse roommates, to be sure. But you have to remember, that this was before the passage of the civil rights act of 1964.  I remember the two of us going into The Virginian, on The Corner, two doors down from Mincer's Pipe Shop. We sat down in a booth, and waited for the waitress to take our order. But the owner, Frank Kessler, told us that he could not serve my roommate. I told him that we were both university students, but he wouldn't change his mind, and told us we had to leave. It was 22 years before I set foot in that place again, and only after I checked to make sure that Frank didn't still own the place.

One Saturday night, about 5 guys from the dorm went out to a place on 29 where you could ride go-carts. We went up to the ticket booth to get tickets, and the guy there points at my roomie and says "That guy there can't ride". So we go to the batting cages, just a few hundred yards down the road, and the guy there says. "That guy there can't play". So we go to the Putt-Putt, and get the same thing. All the white guys in our group are mad as shit, but my roomie keeps his cool, and says. "Now you guys are getting an education about how things really are."

Like I said in one of my other posts, things in Charlottesville have changed a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't fathom your college experience......except maybe visions of  "Animal House".   Toga TOGA! you old geezer  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can't fathom your college experience......except maybe visions of  "Animal House".   Toga TOGA! you old geezer  
View Quote

Yep. It must seem strange to you young whippersnappers. At UVA, it was an unwritten rule that you didn't go out of the dorm without a coat and tie on. I had two or three instructors who would not let you into their class without a coat and tie.
MY main squeeze went to school at Mary Washington, and had to have on a dress or skirt & blouse to go on a date. The only exception was if we were signing out for a picnic on the weekend, then she could wear slacks (NOT jeans). I could not pick her up at her dorm unless I had on a coat & tie.
At UVA if you wanted to go on a date, you had to go "down the road", because there were no women at UVA except nurses and a few education majors and they were mostly grad students who wouldn't give us undergrads a second look. Mary Washington, Madison College (now JMU), and Mary Baldwin were the three favorites, and all of them had some really pretty women.
Ahhhh. Memories.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the older partners at my old firm was a basketball player at UVA at the same time you were there. He regaled us youngsters with similar tales, though he never mentioned any of the racial stuff. I guess that stuff doesn't surprise me given the time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One of the older partners at my old firm was a basketball player at UVA at the same time you were there. He regaled us youngsters with similar tales, though he never mentioned any of the racial stuff. I guess that stuff doesn't surprise me given the time.
View Quote

When I think of it, there really was no "racial stuff". Things were the way they were, and nobody gave it a second thought. I never knew anyone of a different race until I met my roomie in the summer of '63.

One thing I didn't mention: There was a gun store in C'ville called Carter's Gun Works. I walked in there at age 18 and bought a Colt Single Action Army 45 for $75 cash. No paperwork, no sales tax. I handed  him the $75 and he handed me the gun. Talk about how things have changed!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When I think of it, there really was no "racial stuff". Things were the way they were, and nobody gave it a second thought. I never knew anyone of a different race until I met my roomie in the summer of '63.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I played college football (in the 90s) with a guy from South Dakota who had never seen an actual black person, in person, until he came to college.
That absolutely floored me. He'd literally only seen them on TV.

One thing I didn't mention: There was a gun store in C'ville called Carter's Gun Works. I walked in there at age 18 and bought a Colt Single Action Army 45 for $75 cash. No paperwork, no sales tax. I handed  him the $75 and he handed me the gun. Talk about how things have changed!

Yeah, pre-1968. The legislation of the 60s wasn't all good ...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#31]
For all the gripes about Charlottesville I still love it.  I was born and raised out in Ivy and one I moved I really came to appreciate it.

Right now my wife and I are packed in a 1-bed apartment inside the beltway we can barely afford.  Once our lease is up we will most likely head down to Cville.  I've already cleared with my job to work from home.

Parents living in Cville = Free childcare

Lots of vineyards are an added bonus
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife and I lived in a Charlottesville the second half of the 90s when she was in medical school there when we were first married....lived in Orange, and spent a lot of time in the Ville when we moved back up here from Savannah in the mid 2000s

Charlottesville, and it's surrounding area, is the one area I can see myself living in long term.  If I could off load my current McMansion in Prince William and buy some land in Greene county, I would do it in a heartbeat

Unfortunately I moved to NoVA at the height of the housing boom (meant I made a killing on the house I sold in Orange, also means I am way underwater right now)....but I didn't have much of a choice....I needed to be up here...I had a sick mother that needed caring for, my father died and brother died when I was young and my sister checked out....I wasn't about to leave my mom to her fate

The only.....ONLY thing that makes NoVA tolerable for me is he proximity to everything for my family.  I am a stay at home dad, and my kids's schools are all within 6 miles of my house....the medical practice I own with my wife, where she is the primary doctor, is less than a mile from our door....her commute is probably one of the shortest in NoVA...if it wasn't taking your life in your own hands to cross 28, she would walk to work

But, when I take my 8 year old to soccer a mere 15 miles away it takes me 45 minutes because of the traffic and construction.  And the other thing is traffic here never....ever....ends.  Going somewhere at 3pm on a Sunday?  Traffic.  2 am on a Tuesday?  Traffic.  Doesn't matter.  Charlottesville is nothing like it.  Few places in the country are....

No, I have it better than most here in NoVA......But if I could move back to Charlottesville.I would in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I bleed orange and blue, but not from UVA. My experience with the school is limited to excursions to the corner for Voodoo Wings, Gyros, and one drunken night, a Gusburger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummmm. It was a joke.

From Rugby Road to Vinegar Hill,
We're gonna get drunk tonight.
The faculty's afraid of us,
They know we're in the right.
So fill up your cups,
Your lovin' cups,
As full as full can be,
And we'll send up another rousing cheer
For the dear old U of V.

And I think we need another drink!
I think we need another drink!
I think we need another drink!
For the glory of the UVA!

I haven't sung that song in 40 years. But you never forget stuff like that.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#34]
too many 'hoos too!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#35]
29 traffic does suck, but otherwise the area isn't so bad.  Maui traffic is more maddening.

Those that complain about the FSA in Charlottesville should really stop watching the JV team, and head to Richmond (or Norfolk).
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:39:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I like being here in Ch'ville. I like the people and I really like my local gun range....the RRPC.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
29 traffic does suck, but otherwise the area isn't so bad.  Maui traffic is more maddening.

Those that complain about the FSA in Charlottesville should really stop watching the JV team, and head to Richmond (or Norfolk).
View Quote

Truth there.....Thank goodness I don't have to go to MCV (or whatever it's called now) anymore. Even back in the 80s the stumble bums would be lined-up 20 deep when I'd take a convict to the security wing VADOC had there.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I grew up in New Jersey (don't worry, I swear, I vote Republican no matter how bad the candidates are).  Everyone I know who ever comes to visit laughs at what Virginians consider to be "bad traffic".  I have a brother who has to commute through THREE STATES to get to work, and that's really not unusual up north.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I grew up in New Jersey (don't worry, I swear, I vote Republican no matter how bad the candidates are).  Everyone I know who ever comes to visit laughs at what Virginians consider to be "bad traffic".  I have a brother who has to commute through THREE STATES to get to work, and that's really not unusual up north.
View Quote

I grew up in Boston and I think the traffic in NOVA is every bit as bad as (notoriously awful) Boston.

Aside from NOVA and sometimes "beach" traffic in Tidewater, traffic in VA isn't bad by comparison to other areas.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I grew up in Boston and I think the traffic in NOVA is every bit as bad as (notoriously awful) Boston.

Aside from NOVA and sometimes "beach" traffic in Tidewater, traffic in VA isn't bad by comparison to other areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  NOVA has true NJ style urban gridlock.  But I have people who complain about their 20 minute drive to work in Charlottesville.  One person a few years ago asked me how long it took me to get to work.  When I said about 25 minutes they were shocked.  "How do you STAND it?"  We've since moved to Louisa, and my commute is 50 miles and takes about an hour and ten minutes, and it's STILL shorter and more pleasant than what my brother goes through.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  NOVA has true NJ style urban gridlock.  But I have people who complain about their 20 minute drive to work in Charlottesville.  One person a few years ago asked me how long it took me to get to work.  When I said about 25 minutes they were shocked.  "How do you STAND it?"  We've since moved to Louisa, and my commute is 50 miles and takes about an hour and ten minutes, and it's STILL shorter and more pleasant than what my brother goes through.
View Quote

It's "bad" by comparison for them because they were spoiled for years with clear roads. Even in the Richmond area, traffic was more or less non-existent 10 years ago. Now there are any number of times and places where it's awful by comparison (though still not in the NOVA league).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top