Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2014 3:29:37 PM EDT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2767276/Jesse-Matthew-charged-abduction-Hannah-Graham-expelled-Liberty-University-girl-claimed-raped-campus.html

EXCLUSIVE: Man charged with abduction of Hannah Graham was 'expelled from Christian Liberty University after girl claimed he raped her on campus'

Jesse 'LJ' Matthew, 32, was expelled after girl brought complaint in 2002
   Defensive lineman Matthew went to Christian Liberty on a football scholarship
   The captain of the team told MailOnline: 'The allegation was that he forced himself upon a girl at a party and had sex with her'
   Another said that he was 'rough with her' and that she went to hospital
   Lynchburg Police told MailOnline that no charges were brought due to lack of evidence
   Charlottesville police said: 'We are looking into a number of historical allegations against Matthew'
   Matthew was allegedly coaching football at Christian school Covenant just hours before Hannah disappeared
   Matthew was arrested in Texas after going on the lam and has been charged with the abduction with intent to defile of Hannah
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Not possible, his gramma said he's a good boy
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a predator.  Wasn't he a medical worker of some kind?  Seems like maybe he would have had the means and knowledge to drug someone.  Maybe he killed her trying to just knock her out.  Horrible to think about.  Hope he didn't take the body w/ him and dump it somewhere he passed through on his way to TX.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like a predator.  Wasn't he a medical worker of some kind?  Seems like maybe he would have had the means and knowledge to drug someone.  Maybe he killed her trying to just knock her out.  Horrible to think about.  Hope he didn't take the body w/ him and dump it somewhere he passed through on his way to TX.  
View Quote

He was a nurse' s aide, but only worked there since August sometime.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to volunteer to drive down and bring him back...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:00:38 AM EDT
[#5]
He's back, came by chartered plane on Friday.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]
No bond. Huh. Guess the judge thought he might be a flight risk or somethin'.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#7]
A nurse I work with knew him and worked with him at UVa Hospital when he transported patients. She described him as overtly friendly, almost extremely so, and that he creeped her out with his friendliness, but she thought she was just being paranoid...

That is all I know of the dude.

But a lot of bad choices on Hannah's end as well... Better choices by her would probably have her still here at UVa like any other student.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
WUSA 9 said he was busted on a beach NE of Galveston. Texas City, Tx is NE of Galveston and I've got a bunch of family there. Guess I should call some of them and find out if that's where he was.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WUSA 9 said he was busted on a beach NE of Galveston. Texas City, Tx is NE of Galveston and I've got a bunch of family there. Guess I should call some of them and find out if that's where he was.
View Quote

He was. Had camped on the beach for a day or trwo. A family were camped nearby and the guy was doing some fishing. Matthew struck up a conversation , introducing himself as George, and asked if he could have a redfish the guy was gonna throw back. The man said yes so Matthew went to a convenience store to get a coolor to put the fish in. Someone at the store apparently recognized him and the car  because the guy on the beach said when Matthew returned he was followed by several deputies. He was arrested there on the beach.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
This article is by a local media guy and teacher at UVA. Its mostly hear-say so I took it with a grain of salt. Interesting anyway.
http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This article is by a local media guy and teacher at UVA. Its mostly hear-say so I took it with a grain of salt. Interesting anyway.
http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/
View Quote

Corresponds to similar behavior others have reported, but the account of the one woman saying he just acted like the other men was .  He seems to impose himself on the perceived weaker, regardless of gender.  A loner, had no true friends but readily inserted himself into the social scene anyway.  Sounds like LU had good reason to dismiss him.  Does anyone know what his legal record is like?  I've heard speculation he could be linked to other missing women in the area, but I haven't heard the investigating LE opinion.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A nurse I work with knew him and worked with him at UVa Hospital when he transported patients. She described him as overtly friendly, almost extremely so, and that he creeped her out with his friendliness, but she thought she was just being paranoid...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Isn't that scary to think of her ignoring her instinct like that?  I read a book called "The Gift of Fear" that was written by a doctor who runs a risk assessment service for celebrities and rich/important folks, and also does counseling for victims of violence.  One of the most chilling things I read in that book is a chapter where the author says that one common aspect across all of his patients is that, at some point in their therapy, they tell him that they felt in their gut that they were in danger, but they ignored it because they didn't want to seem rude or awkward.  We're socialized to not make snap judgments, not judge the book by its cover, to ignore that caveman part of our brain that is trying to tell us that a predator is near.  Sad to think of all those people who wouldn't be in therapy if they had just trusted their gut and crossed the street or refused to get on the elevator with that "creepy" guy who would become their attacker.

The author, btw, is anti-gun, which I found ironic, but the book is still worth a read.  It's the only book in my collection that I freely loan out to friends and family and don't care if I get it back or not; lots of important, useful info in it.

Quoted:
But a lot of bad choices on Hannah's end as well... Better choices by her would probably have her still here at UVa like any other student.

Of course, you can't say that out loud without someone pointing a finger and screaming, "VICTIM BLAMER!"
Young women should be able to walk around downtown scantily clad and clearly intoxicated without fear of being assaulted, without question, but until we're all riding unicorns to work and tending fields of sugarplum fairies, they might want to maintain some basic situational awareness.  We're never going to have a shortage of evil, violent people in this world.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The first guy that made contact with her, that the PD questioned also, was likely a "bobcat" on the hunt, and Hannah got killed by a "bear" instead.  People who are friends with the other guy, should probably keep an eye on him as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Local media now reporting a forensic link to the Morgan Harrington case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2767276/Jesse-Matthew-charged-abduction-Hannah-Graham-expelled-Liberty-University-girl-claimed-raped-campus.html

EXCLUSIVE: Man charged with abduction of Hannah Graham was 'expelled from Christian Liberty University after girl claimed he raped her on campus'

The captain of the team told MailOnline: 'The allegation was that he forced himself upon a girl at a party and had sex with her'
   Lynchburg Police told MailOnline that no charges were brought due to lack of evidence
   Charlottesville police said: 'We are looking into a number of historical allegations against Matthew'
   Matthew was allegedly coaching football at Christian school Covenant just hours before Hannah disappeared
   Matthew was arrested in Texas after going on the lam and has been charged with the abduction with intent to defile of Hannah
View Quote

And the police were not informed of this rape because . . . ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean initially or now ? Initially, he was never charged because she didnt want to press charges. The local police in Cville know about it because he was kicked out of school over it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were. Not enough evidence to prosecute.

Happens regularly with rapes. Very hard to prosecute after the physical evidence is washed away. Getting a victim willing to testify is yet another difficult matter.

He was dealt with administratively, to the extent possible. He was kicked out (I imagine expelled, but not certain).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good. I hope he can be convicted of both crimes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You mean initially or now ? Initially, he was never charged because she didnt want to press charges. The local police in Cville know about it because he was kicked out of school over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they expelled a student based on the accusations of another student, when that same student did NOT want to press charges?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link:
http://www.nbc29.com/story/26653942/vsp-forensic-evidence-links-jesse-matthew-to-harrington-case
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So they expelled a student based on the accusations of another student, when that same student did NOT want to press charges?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see why not. They are two completely different and separate systems.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard reports that the alleged rape also roughed up the woman pretty bad and she spent sometime in the hospital.  It was a pretty straightforward decision for the school.  Too bad this guy has had a long leash to harass and commit crimes against others for a very long time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Strange that she was injured bad enough to go to the hospital but they claimed they didn't have enough evidence.
Victim ID plus injuries isn't enough without DNA as well?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Strange that she was injured bad enough to go to the hospital but they claimed they didn't have enough evidence.
View Quote

I don't know what evidence there was/wasn't, but the victim not wanting to prosecute certainly is problematic.  I'm nit sure how good Lburg PD is either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've heard reports that the alleged rape also roughed up the woman pretty bad and she spent sometime in the hospital.  It was a pretty straightforward decision for the school.  Too bad this guy has had a long leash to harass and commit crimes against others for a very long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it straightforward? I mean, is all that it should take to get you expelled from a school is an allegation of wrongdoing?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, State Police confirm that some forensic evidence links Matthews to Harrington as well...

But I also learned testimony shows that Morgan was no angel at that concert, trying to get it on with some UVa basketball players, rejected by them, started asking for big, black, you know what, from tops of vehicles... She was surely drunk and maybe on something... Seems she found what she was looking for, but much more than expected...

It again goes back to good and bad choices in life... Train your kids well! They need to know when to make the RIGHT choices, even when youth makes them feel invincible...

Same nurse I referenced in previous post said that when Matthews was an OR Tech, he could have had access to things used to put people out...

I hope they pin this guy to the crimes without doubt... For no matter what actions a girl under the influence does, rape and murder are never deserved or should be expected by any human being...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't believe Liberty U gave Matthew a raw deal and understand the decision to dismiss was not contested, so unless more facts come forward I'm gonna trust LU was one of the few that acted appropriately.  It's unfortunate that no one talks of Matthew's police record.  I'd say this punk got way too many breaks,,,,,and yes he preyed on women that exhibited very bad judgment.  What's talked about even less is who has helped Matthew with these crimes. The police should be looking at his POS family hard.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How is it straightforward? I mean, is all that it should take to get you expelled from a school is an allegation of wrongdoing?
View Quote

No, but different standards of evidence apply. Responding officers can 'testify' in school hearings, as can residential advisors, hearsay is allowed, etc.

It's a much more relaxed setting, with preponderance of the evidence standards as opposed to beyond a reasonable doubt standards. And it's a student court, not faculty or staff.

And further, as a private university, Liberty doesn't NEED a reason to tell you to GTFO. I'm certain they have something in their student code (as strict as it is) about conduct unbecoming. Actually now that I think about it, merely having sex period is enough, whether consensual or not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't know what evidence there was/wasn't, but the victim not wanting to prosecute certainly is problematic.  I'm nit sure how good Lburg PD is either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lynchburg PD is VERY good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, but different standards of evidence apply. Responding officers can 'testify' in school hearings, as can residential advisors, hearsay is allowed, etc.

It's a much more relaxed setting, with preponderance of the evidence standards as opposed to beyond a reasonable doubt standards. And it's a student court, not faculty or staff.

And further, as a private university, Liberty doesn't NEED a reason to tell you to GTFO. I'm certain they have something in their student code (as strict as it is) about conduct unbecoming. Actually now that I think about it, merely having sex period is enough, whether consensual or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ewww
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#31]
It is reported that a LU girl called 911 around 4AM to report being raped by Matthew.  There is also documentation of her hospital visit and at least people that knew the two were comingling at a party that night.  Matthew even admits to having sex.  So I said it was straight forward b/c she was in fact aggressively handled sexually as well as  had bodily harm as observed by medical staff on the night he admits to being with her.  Consensual or not, he beat her up.  Not pressing charges later may have killed the legal pursuit; however, him getting  kicked out of LibertyU was fully within their code of conduct.  If there was evidence of rape even without conviction he could be removed.  His action makes a case for dismissal under my alma mater's (VT) sexual harassment policy, so I'm glad at least someone figured out this guy was bad news and terminated him.  

FWIW, this guy doesn't appear to have been a decent student or athlete anywhere.  He didn't last a month on the Christopher Newport U Football squad either.  A big guy who he couldn't hack it with his peers, but he seemed to get off on dominating the weaker.  It's crazy how many missing/murdered women he's being looked at now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#32]
http://touch.dailypress.com/#story/dp-nws-missing-women-20140930/

I posted this in the other HTF thread, but it looks like a developing connection to Newport News/CNU.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top