Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 11:07:38 AM EDT
A buddy and I are taking FFX CERT training. I was wondering if any of you have insight on what the final exercise looks like? Or gear we might need?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
They generally try to keep the exact nature of the disaster a secret to add some realism.  You can expect them to attempt to incorporate most if not all of the skills you learn in class.  It will almost certainly be a mass casualty event, natural or man-made, that will include triage, victim transport, a grid search, and maybe an extrication or two.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The final exercise, at least when I went through last year, was at the old Juvenile prison in Lorton.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Was there anything that you needed and did not have? I'm carring a white shower curtain for a comand board.

Do they supply some medical bandages?

Will we have to pry any doors open?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you use a shower curtain for a command board?  Just something to draw on?  Are you planning on being in command?

They should supply all the medical supplies needed for the patients involved; that includes what is in the bag they give you and what they have in the triage cache.  I haven't done anything with that CERT, though, so I can't say if they *will*.

Do they teach forcible entry in CERT?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you use a shower curtain for a command board?  Just something to draw on?  Are you planning on being in command?

They should supply all the medical supplies needed for the patients involved; that includes what is in the bag they give you and what they have in the triage cache.  I haven't done anything with that CERT, though, so I can't say if they *will*.

Do they teach forcible entry in CERT?
View Quote

Yeah you make a grid and start writing. No I don't plan on being in the command role but I might be first on the scene, so who knows. They don't teach us forcable entry per se, but they will teach us extracation and improvisation. I might have to pry a pallet apart or take a door off the hinges. They have been dropping hints that what we carry on us is what we have. Also last class, med 1, the homework was to fill our bags with old fabric and possibly maxi pads. I had both already.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I was looking at getting involved in the local CERT when i get back from this deployment anyone have any tips or suggestions for a new guy?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like you have a good start, I also have old cloth strips, Kotex, etc. for bandages.  (Don't laugh, they work fine).

Is the final exercise still at Juvie prison??  PM me if you want, I went through last year
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I was looking at getting involved in the local CERT when i get back from this deployment anyone have any tips or suggestions for a new guy?
View Quote

Where is home for you? There's a link on FEMA website to active cert groups according to location. I can tell you alot more after November 15th. As of right now I know that Fairfax County does CERT totally different than most other places. We are learning about active shooter scenarios, tourniquets and sucking chest wounds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll be doing it out of portsmouth. I've been starting some of the FEMA courses online and I'm sending off the email to the CERT leader today to see about when i can do the classroom stuff after i get back from Kuwait. I'ts cool to see units getting into the TCCC side of medical, I know it was a eye opener to me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
So my team mate and I did recon of Lorton Juvenile correction center today. It's massive!!

Recon for Cert final
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Inside the gates!!

Lorton USAR recon
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Inside the gates!!

Lorton USAR recon
View Quote

We did some FD trainging back in some of those buildings about 12 yrs or so ago. We were told not to go into certain areas due to asbestos and some buildings were completely off limits. I'm surprised they haven't been leveled for that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I did my final exercise in Lorton - written up here. No forced entry. Improvise with collection teams, remember several teams split up in the exercise?

The CERT blog has a lot of info and pictures. Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top