Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 3:27:10 PM EDT
I'm looking to take my son out for his first hunt this year and am thinking CF Phelps may be the area.  Unfortunately we can't make the Youth Hunting day since we already have plays.  I'll be taking him out during regular rifle season.  I have not hunted Phelps before so I'm not exactly sure where we'll go.  From what I read it gets pretty crowded there so I'll do what I can to get us deeper in and farther away from the crowds.

Any tips you guys can offer would be great.  I'm not looking for your secret spot just something to keep my boy interested.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Never hunted it,but I have heard you take your life in your hands while there.Have you checked out AP Hill or Quantico ? I use to do AP Hill.they use to allow only so many hunters to an area.Don't know if that has changed.It has been years for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If you go on a weekday after the first couple weeks you pretty much have it to yourself. Don't go on a Saturday.

I squirrel hunt there on occasion but avoid it out of simple courtesy during ML and the first couple weeks of rifle season.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you go on a weekday after the first couple weeks you pretty much have it to yourself. Don't go on a Saturday.

I squirrel hunt there on occasion but avoid it out of simple courtesy during ML and the first couple weeks of rifle season.
View Quote

QFT... wear plates if you're going on the weekend
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well this doesn't sound encouraging. It's pretty much what I've been hearing though.  I think I'll probably skip taking my son out there.  I'd go during the week but I don't have the time to take since we are moving in a few months and I need to save the vacation time for the move.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You could do some squirrel hunting now. You could also get a crossbow and do archery season.

Quoted:

View Quote

CF Phelps is an exception, you only have two weeks of rifle season there:

Season Exception
•November 15 through 29: On C.F. Phelps WMA
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I did Phelps during archery season for years, great memories. Muzzleloading one year. Would never go there during regular rifle season.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can I ask - is this nuisance hunting?  Are squirrels considered tree rats in VA?  Squirrels and Crows were open season year round in TX.  There were crows by the millions and the bane of many farmers.  My son wants to "hunt", but he's a bit too young, so if squirrels are GTG year round, or during specific times, I won't feel bad letting him get some practice in on a nuisance animal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Dad used to take us there as kids to hunt squirrels in the early fall or after the two week gun season went out.  Lots of fun and lots of good memories.  As everyone else said, I wouldn't go near that place during the two week rifle season though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can I ask - is this nuisance hunting?  Are squirrels considered tree rats in VA?  Squirrels and Crows were open season year round in TX.  There were crows by the millions and the bane of many farmers.  My son wants to "hunt", but he's a bit too young, so if squirrels are GTG year round, or during specific times, I won't feel bad letting him get some practice in on a nuisance animal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Squirrel has a specific season in Va and as for crows,  from what I understand, if a specific animal doesn't have a specified season then you can't just kill it. This may exclude nuisance species.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow - squirrel has it's own season?  Learn something every day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Squirrels have specific seasons, happens to be open now. Crows have a season as well and can only be hunted on certain days. IF you can find a place to hunt in Loudon, Fairfax, PWC, deer are practically a nuisance species that you can hunt from September to March.

Check http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well this doesn't sound encouraging. It's pretty much what I've been hearing though.  I think I'll probably skip taking my son out there.  I'd go during the week but I don't have the time to take since we are moving in a few months and I need to save the vacation time for the move.
View Quote

If you don't mind the extra drive the Veach Gap in the GWNF is a good place to deer hunt. I killed my first deer there as my Granddad's property bordered it.

Unless it has changed a lot it was the best kept secret in the GWNF. Very little activity. Go into it on the Ft. Valley side.

This hiking site has a decent description and map. http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/VeachGap/

If you follow the trail that goes up from the parking lot go about a quarter mile up the mountain and veer left and start looking for deer trails.

LOL.....Maybe you will find the big flat rock just under a pine grove my Granddad sat my little 10 year-old behind on that November opening morning 49 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you don't mind the extra drive the Veach Gap in the GWNF is a good place to deer hunt. I killed my first deer there as my Granddad's property bordered it.

Unless it has changed a lot it was the best kept secret in the GWNF. Very little activity. Go into it on the Ft. Valley side.

This hiking site has a decent description and map. http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/VeachGap/

If you follow the trail that goes up from the parking lot go about a quarter mile up the mountain and veer left and start looking for deer trails.

LOL.....Maybe you will find the big flat rock just under a pine grove my Granddad sat my little 10 year-old behind on that November opening morning 49 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  This look interesting.  I think we will give this a go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Like others have said, ya gotta go during the week.

I haven't been on there in a few years, but I did have decent luck,  but like you have probably figured out you have to push deep to get away from the parking lot hunters.

Going in near Kellys Ford, then pushing down the river quite a ways worked well for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks!  This look interesting.  I think we will give this a go.
View Quote

Good Luck......I just hope it's not knee-deep in hunters now.

During the depression/WW-2 years my Dad and Granddad walked from their farm, across the Veach Gap and down to the South Fork of the Shenandoah River to fish. Quite the haul.

They would catch a burlap sack or two of fish and walk back. If they did not stop and soak their bag in the branch every now and again the fish would dry-up before they got home.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Squirrels have specific seasons, happens to be open now. Crows have a season as well and can only be hunted on certain days. IF you can find a place to hunt in Loudon, Fairfax, PWC, deer are practically a nuisance species that you can hunt from September to March.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is absolutely crazy!  I'm surprised there isn't a Pigeon season.

I just need someone to help translate this for me, such as:  Go to George Washington Natl Forrest, park in section XYZ, and go shoot at any squirrels you see from Sept through March or whatever.

I don't understand all the "public land" stuff, and I don't want to start shooting and get arrested by some park ranger and go to straight to jail without passing go, if you get what I'm saying.

As for deer, I almost hit one every evening.  They seem to be everywhere in PWC.  I was lucky to stop one night really late as a solid 6-8 ran right across 234 in front of Prince William Forrest Park.  I didn't know they traveled in packs.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I would avoid Phelps during the 2 week rifle season. If you do go wear blaze orange from head to toe. I have had great success with early and late season squirrel hunting.

Another WMA in Northern Fauquier is called GR Thompson. I have not been in a few years but did have some successful deer hunts. I rarely saw another hunter. Parts of this WMA are on the Appalation Trail, plus it borders a state park where hunting is prohibited.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My son (age 10) and I have hunted squirrel, rabbit, and turkey at Phelps in the last year or so. We've not seen any squirrel, rabbits, or turkey (or deer for that matter). We have an invitation to hunt some private land this deer season so we're going there instead of Phelps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would avoid Phelps during the 2 week rifle season. If you do go wear blaze orange from head to toe. I have had great success with early and late season squirrel hunting.

Another WMA in Northern Fauquier is called GR Thompson. I have not been in a few years but did have some successful deer hunts. I rarely saw another hunter. Parts of this WMA are on the Appalation Trail, plus it borders a state park where hunting is prohibited.
View Quote

I tried GR Thompson last year on a Saturday during rifle season.  The one parking lot I could find was stacked deep with vehicles by the time I came up on it, and after watching two guys waving their rifles all over creation while getting ready to head in I decided to give it a pass.  

I was out there this past weekend since I'm thinking of giving it a try during bow season.  I may try again this coming rifle season but I will make sure I arrive very, very early and head in deep.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Double tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top