Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2014 6:47:53 AM EDT
Anyone else hear about this?
ETA:NewsLeader
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The fumes from the reported crash may be toxic, warn emergency officials.

"The fuel is supposed to be corrosive to human flesh," said the dispatcher. "These planes are made with radioactive material."
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"The fuel is supposed to be corrosive to human flesh," said the dispatcher. "These planes are made with radioactive material."

Some people are just plain ignorant....
.... and this person is a 911 dispatcher?!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
reports that witnesses saw a chute deploy, fingers crossed
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The dispatcher was partially right.  The F 15 has lots of dangerous materials in it.  I want to say like 3 different dangerous chemicals and maybe some radioactive stuff too.  Its been about 10 yrs since I was in.

Tex
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, yes a 911 dispatcher. Not a fucking military aviation expert on the History Channel...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Hydrazine has a very distinct odor
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
They're probably not factually incorrect statements.

Fuel can definitely harm the skin when it gets on you in any quantity or length of time. And while I'm no aviation mechanic, it's certainly not unreasonable to assume there are some devices onboard that use radioactive materials. Many armored vehicles use them, especially in sighting systems.

Is it sensational and over the top? Yeah. Is it factually incorrect? Probably not. Was it stated as an intended warning to keep dumbasses away from it, so they wouldn't poke and prod? Most likely.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hydrazine has a very distinct odor
View Quote

Except that's rocket and satellite engine fuel, unlike the JP-8 or similar kerosene-based fuel used in the F-15 -I'm not a jet guy, I just know jet fuel is like kerosene.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Still no word on the pilot.....not good.

FWIW...JP-8 is kerosene with not so lethal additives.  However, on certain missions the F15 uses JP-8(100), that's a different beast, the MSDS is coded under another name for a reason.  The USAF was saying this partly to keep responders from screwing with evidence, but their could have been exposure concerns too.....it read very weird and I see they have pulled the statement.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Still no word on the pilot.....not good.

FWIW...JP-8 is kerosene with not so lethal additives.  However, on certain missions the F15 uses JP-8(100), that's a different beast, the MSDS is coded under another name for a reason.  The USAF was saying this partly to keep responders from screwing with evidence, but their could have been exposure concerns too.....it read very weird and I see they have pulled the statement.
View Quote
I'm not an expert on the subject, but growing up in the naval aviation community I do know that when a seat leaves the canopy there's supposed to be a beacon that immediately begins transmitting. There has been no beacon ping, so I say there was no ejection.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Search called off.. Statement is being prepared for release sometime soon.

ETA:GD thread said local news channel has confirmed the pilot was fatally injured.  

Damn
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Search called off.. Statement is being prepared for release sometime soon.

ETA:GD thread said local news channel has confirmed the pilot was fatally injured.  

Damn
View Quote

Yeah, WHSV tv and newsleader.com both have statements from military declaring pilot found dead. Press conference at the site at 10:15
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#14]
It sounds like officials knew early on there was no ejection.  I imagine the pilot ditched the fuel tanks so there were a few sites to locate, hence a predominately guard search.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top