Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 4:55:07 PM EDT
Any good ponds accessible to the public in the Reston - Arlington - Alexandria area?

I live in Arlington and am trying to get back into fishing, mostly for fun but possibly for food. Bass, catfish, crappie, whatever.

I don't have a boat so it's gotta be shore fishing and in the past I have had the most fun on small office park sized ponds.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
There are plenty of fishmen on this board who may share their favorite fishing holes, but here is a listing for public Fairfax County placeshttp://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/fishing.htm

IWLA (private) in Centerville also has a stocked pond (catch and release)
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're looking for food, Cook Lake in Alexandria has farm raised catfish that are good eating size.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Burke Lake is where I used to go around here.  Haven't been in a while.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're looking for food, Cook Lake in Alexandria has farm raised catfish that are good eating size.
View Quote

During the winter, this is also stocked with trout.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will have to check this out.

And I was at Burke on Tuesday with just a single tiny crappie. Any tips for a shore fisherman at Burke?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of fishing pressure on Burke, my suggestion is to fish elsewhere.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately, too much pressure has been my experience with almost every public fishing water in NoVA.  I think the combination of population density combined with most people actually living on virtually no land produces a lot of pressure on any public outdoor recreation area.  I spend a fair amount of time fishing in public waters around NoVA, but I don't catch very much at all.  I enjoy getting outside and having a respite from suburban hell, but my enjoyment isn't tied to actual fishing success.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The park entry side of Burke gets the most pressure.  The far side is better but not many open areas.  I used to have an inflatable raft with a electric trolling motor to get out near the island.  Some good bass out in that part.  Never could get ahold of the muskie though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, too much pressure has been my experience with almost every public fishing water in NoVA.  I think the combination of population density combined with most people actually living on virtually no land produces a lot of pressure on any public outdoor recreation area.  I spend a fair amount of time fishing in public waters around NoVA, but I don't catch very much at all.  I enjoy getting outside and having a respite from suburban hell, but my enjoyment isn't tied to actual fishing success.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So true.

I tend to hit the oddball places, just for this reason.  The illegals around here are like locusts around fishing holes.  They take anything/everything they can catch, so they tend to wipe out generations at a time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top