Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 1:02:33 PM EDT
Hi,

My Fiance and I recently moved from Michigan to Stafford (I've been stationed at Quantico for ~8 months). Any advice on stuff to do?

Hiking trials? Kayak rental? Good restaurants?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi,

My Fiance and I recently moved from Michigan to Stafford (I've been stationed at Quantico for ~8 months). Any advice on stuff to do?

Thanks
View Quote

Well, I'm right there too.  We can go shooting.  Have you been anywhere local to shoot?  You can also take your fiance to Top Golf.  If you haven't heard of it, Google it.  It's pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Dixie Bones has a BBQ place on Rte 3 in Fredericksburg, east of I-95. Really good BBQ, which is a staple of the southern diet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like to shoot sporting clays this place is not too far. I live in the western part of Stafford so this is just up the road from me. Nice place to kill an afternoon with some buddies.
Shady Grove Sporting Clays
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dixie Bones has a BBQ place on Rte 3 in Fredericksburg, east of I-95. Really good BBQ, which is a staple of the southern diet.
View Quote

Yeah, it's really good.  They also have a location near Quantico (Woodbridge on Rt1).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Prince William Forrest Park and Lunga Reservoir were favorites when I was a kid for camping. As far as hiking, there are trails on base we used to hit, or you can make a day trip out to the Appalachians and do Old Rag. There are also trails out to Solomon's Island where they took some of the materials for either the White House or the Capitol.

You've also got a bunch of Civil War battlefields in easy reach. Antietam, Fredricksburg, the Wilderness, all day trips. Gettysburg is easily a weekend trip. Interestingly our house in Aquia Harbor had a Union camp in the yard at one point, used to find minnie balls. Fredricksburg has an old town segment with lots of antique stores as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies!

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A few candidates and I stumbled upon Dixie Bones during leave at OCS. Turns out Dixie Bones had a all you can eat buffet that day. I'm 100% confident we cost the place money. Upon review I would have eaten dog food I was so hungry so I couldn't really tell if I had liked the food or not. This time around a friend took us there as her first introduction to southern food. I loved it, she hated it. Oh well, more leftovers for me

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Thanks

Well, I'm right there too.  We can go shooting.  Have you been anywhere local to shoot?  You can also take your fiance to Top Golf.  If you haven't heard of it, Google it.  It's pretty damn cool.

No, I've been googling around a bit and didnt find much in the way of shooting ranges. I'm a bit nervous to shoot too much seeing as I have qualifications coming up in early November. Everyone I've spoke to has said forget what you know and shoot how instructed, if you do expert is easy.

Top Golf seems cool though, I think we'll check it out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, I've been googling around a bit and didnt find much in the way of shooting ranges. I'm a bit nervous to shoot too much seeing as I have qualifications coming up in early November. Everyone I've spoke to has said forget what you know and shoot how instructed, if you do expert is easy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quals?  And practice WON'T help?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
There are loads of good restaurants in downtown Fredericksburg.  Lots and lots of stuff to do in the District - all the Smithsonians, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much. I've heard from many that often times recreational shooters / competitive shooters have a hard time adapting to USMC techniques and don't score well.

I'm mixed on the idea though. I developed some very bad pistol habits when I first started shooting. I took a few pistol classes and my shooting improved but I did spend some time "unlearning" my bad habits.

I take it you'd advise to keep shooting?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much. I've heard from many that often times recreational shooters / competitive shooters have a hard time adapting to USMC techniques and don't score well.

I'm mixed on the idea though. I developed some very bad pistol habits when I first started shooting. I took a few pistol classes and my shooting improved but I did spend some time "unlearning" my bad habits.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to Stafford
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to the Commonwealth!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kayak rental? Good restaurants?
View Quote

There's a couple places that will rent canoe/kayaks to go down the Rappahannock River.

If you like Chinese, try Peter Chang's in Central Park.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't want much of my advise unless it's about meat on a grill.  

If the Marines teach a specific way of shooting it's probably for a reason, and they would know better than I.  But for me, personally, I always learn something from a trip to the range.  Often, it's a lesson hard learned, but I learned it nonetheless.  

I'm sure some Marines will chime in on if you should be pre-shooting or not.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.clorebros.com/ - river trips
http://www.iwla.us/ - Range and fishing

Hope you like traffic as it is only getting worse in the area. I have found that it is easier on the weekends to go West instead of South or North.
Semper Fi. Ohio/Michigan Transplant myself
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#17]
welcome to Stafford.. I have been here so long I remember when 610 was 2-lane blacktop that didn't even have a stripe down it.
Heflan's Store, Frank's Nursery and a single blinking red light at Shelton Shop Road... yeah, there were dinosaurs too..lol

don't know I can help much with the recreational aspects... but I know a few hunting spots... if you bowhunt.

Lunga is pretty good fishin' too.

maybe all us locals should hookup and burn some meat on the grill sometime... should be a lot of venison floating around in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
welcome to Stafford.. I have been here so long I remember when 610 was 2-lane blacktop that didn't even have a stripe down it.
Heflan's Store, Frank's Nursery and a single blinking red light at Shelton Shop Road... yeah, there were dinosaurs too..lol

don't know I can help much with the recreational aspects... but I know a few hunting spots... if you bowhunt.

maybe all us locals should hookup and burn some meat on the grill sometime... should be a lot of venison floating around in a few weeks.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm down with that.. gotta be a Friday evening though.. my schedule is kinda screwey...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome to Stafford!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

+3
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hi,

Thanks
View Quote

For shooting, join the Quantico Shooting Club and shoot on the WTBn ranges west of I-95 at MCBQ. Range 1 = 300m, Ranges 2 & 3 are 600 yards, and Range 4 is 1000 yards. Range 5 is the pistol range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Colonial Beach, VA about an hour from Quantico...

http://www.cbycmarina.com/#!kayakrentals/c16c0

And lot's going on 2nd weekend Oct 9 thru 12

http://colonialbeachbikefest.com/events/
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to the area! Please let me know if I can assist with any firearms training needs that you may have.

Jim
www.ProactiveShooters.com
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think we'll check that out soon, thanks!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

+3

Sounds like we have to put something together. I'd be willing to host a grill out type event but I have just one problem - I dont own a grill We're trying to pack light seeing as we'll be bouncing around the next 4 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
There was a local meetup at the Range awhile back which was lots of fun, but I'd be just as happy meeting at someone's house or a restaurant where the focus is on socializing.  With beer.

How about a chili cookoff?  Beans, no beans, we can settle the issue as far as Virginia is concerned.

Yes, I'm really just craving fall weather and chili.  And beer.  It's an idea, though.

Mid-Octoberish?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There was a local meetup at the Range awhile back which was lots of fun, but I'd be just as happy meeting at someone's house or a restaurant where the focus is on socializing.  With beer.

How about a chili cookoff?  Beans, no beans, we can settle the issue as far as Virginia is concerned.

Yes, I'm really just craving fall weather and chili.  And beer.  It's an idea, though.

Mid-Octoberish?
View Quote

The range was fun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll be in the Sinai by the end of Sept.  RIght now, I'm in NW Indiana, going to try to be home in Stafford for the Fredericksburg gunshow this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The range was fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mid-Octoberish?

The range was fun.

I missed it.. current schedule has me working Saturdays.. but who knows, all kinds of changes coming at work soon.

fingers crossed it works out this time.

and yeah, cooler temps means deer chili
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I missed it.. current schedule has me working Saturdays.. but who knows, all kinds of changes coming at work soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mid-Octoberish?

The range was fun.

Mmmm, deer chili. Off topic, I need to go hunting this winter. I've been saying I'm going for the last few years...
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Any of it sounds good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#33]
You can rent Kayaks from the Virginia Outdoor Center near Fredericksburg and go down the Rappahannock. Everything from a few hour trips to two days.

Dunno how far up the river you can run kayaks.

Fredericksburg owns a ton of land along the length of the Rapphanock up where it meets the Rapidan (or further, I forget) and you can camp on it as long as you don't trash the place.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool!  My brother lives in Stafford, he's stationed at Ft. Belvoir.  I'll be up that way this weekend.  None of this helps you other than being a "CSB".

Oh and I hope you like traffic.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cool!  My brother lives in Stafford, he's stationed at Ft. Belvoir.  I'll be up that way this weekend.  None of this helps you other than being a "CSB".

View Quote

It's fine as long as you live south of Quantico and never ever go north.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the "traffic nasty" actually starts around Massaponax these days.. well south of Route 3.

back in the day you never even saw another car until you hit Woodbridge.. and could get to 19th & M in about 40 minutes from here at peak traffic... sure miss those days..
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#37]
The 2014 Team Member Giveaway is on October 10th.  I think we should organize a cookout or something for that evening.  Maybe make anyone who wins something do some crazy stunt or pay a penalty in the form of beer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The 2014 Team Member Giveaway is on October 10th.  I think we should organize a cookout or something for that evening.  Maybe make anyone who wins something do some crazy stunt or pay a penalty in the form of beer.
View Quote

This would be great for me, I pick up Oct 14 so any meetings after that will have to be 10 mins and at 2100
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is a fun idea!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes that's Columbus Day weekend (War of North American aggression to some)  good time for a BBQ.

Quoted:

This is a fun idea!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a fun idea!

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in.  As an aside, which team member are we giving away?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've started asking the important questions, like "Honey, how much money can I spend on beer?"

I'm less than a minute from the Stafford Courthouse, and have a big empty walkout basement in case it rains.  I'm thinking chili cookoff, if the weather is nice we can setup outside, if it sucks we can move inside.  Should be plenty of room, we had 20 for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and there was plenty of room.

Gimme a couple more "would fo" threads and I'll get a serious schedule commitment from the wife and start a new thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I've started asking the important questions, like "Honey, how much money can I spend on beer?"

I'm less than a minute from the Stafford Courthouse, and have a big empty walkout basement in case it rains.  I'm thinking chili cookoff, if the weather is nice we can setup outside, if it sucks we can move inside.  Should be plenty of room, we had 20 for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and there was plenty of room.

Gimme a couple more "would fo" threads and I'll get a serious schedule commitment from the wife and start a new thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, this would be the evening of the 10th, correct?  That is a Friday, if my calendar reading skills are still up to date.  I'm in!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm in for the 10th!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a bump for the party!

Oh - if any of you want a half-ounce jar of AeroShell  33MS grease, let me know, I've got a big 'ol tube.  A half-ounce is a LOT of 33MS!  Just give me a couple dollars to cover the cost of the plastic container and I'll bring them.  Cool?
(VA-gunnut - this isn't an EE sale!  You're welcome to a jar, yourself.  )

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Well guys, the schedule commitment from the wife did not pan out.    We were already scheduled to drive up to Boston for the weekend.  I talked her into taking the kids and leaving me behind, but we're buying a new car in a week or so just for road trips like this, and I just couldn't live with myself if I bailed on the very first one.  Family first.

Feel free to take the party idea and run with it.  I'll be following the giveaway thread and I'll be with you all in spirit.  This thing never happens on the same date I don't think, but I'll try again next year.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#47]
If you went through OCS you've prob been to Globe & Laurel?  The food is shit but the ambience is awesome.

A couple of good Mexican restaurants are El Gran Charro at Aquia Towne Center and the two Pancho Villa's on 610.  I think the one near the TBS back gate is the best.

Best sushi in Stafford is Sake off 610 near the Home Depot.

Best sushi in PWC is at Mandarin Court off Rt 1 next to the Walmart.

Isn't Lunga still closed?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top