Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 4:04:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want it unloaded and in your trunk?

We are a mostly freedom loving state for now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep in soft cases all the time.  Just can't have the loaded if you are "transporting" them.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm traveling through the state, and it will be packed in the back with the other luggage.  I just want to make sure its not a state like Michigan, which requires a transported firearm to be in a locked case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would you want it unloaded and in your trunk?

I'm traveling through the state, and it will be packed in the back with the other luggage.  I just want to make sure its not a state like Michigan, which requires a transported firearm to be in a locked case.

You will be fine transporting in VA like that.  Loaded long guns fall under hunting regs and vary by county.  Loaded handguns are OK as long as they are in a secure container like a glove box or console.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Loaded handguns are OK as long as they are in a secure container like a glove box or console.
View Quote

Or if you have an Ohio concealed carry permit, VA has reciprocity.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loaded handguns are OK as long as they are in a secure container like a glove box or console.

What about loaded on the seat next to you? Considered open carry?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
This article pretty well covers transport laws in Virginia.  Title asks about minors but it goes into more detail.

http://johnpierceesq.com/?p=748
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it legal to transport an unloaded, AR and loaded mags, in a case in my trunk in VA?
View Quote

Yes.

Even if they were loaded, it's not a violation of state law. It could be a violation of a local law (max penalty of $100) if they're loaded and that locality has adopted an ordinance prohibiting transport of loaded long guns in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes.

Even if they were loaded, it's not a violation of state law. It could be a violation of a local law (max penalty of $100) if they're loaded and that locality has adopted an ordinance prohibiting transport of loaded long guns in a vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it legal to transport an unloaded, AR and loaded mags, in a case in my trunk in VA?

Yes.

If I understand preemption right, how could a local govt. prohibit transportation of a gun?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I understand preemption right, how could a local govt. prohibit transportation of a gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

State law grants the power of this decision on localities. VA 15.2-1209 I believe specifically
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

State law grants the power of this decision on localities. VA 15.2-1209 I believe specifically
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, although it's actually 15.2-915.2. It's a specific grant of authority from the General Assembly that allows this, and it's intended as a hunting/poaching regulation.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Correct, although it's actually 15.2-915.2. It's a specific grant of authority from the General Assembly that allows this, and it's intended as a hunting/poaching regulation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious but what does the case law look like on that?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of case law are you looking for?  To me this one looks pretty cut and dry - but it certainly makes it difficult with no statewide law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top