Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:45:41 PM EDT
Took my daughter deer hunting in NC and she wants to go again this year.

It was a pretty easy hunt.  100M shot, does over feed from a stand.  Lets face it, I'm lazy.  Any places in virginia that do the same sort of thing?  Willing to walk, if need be, but prefer not to.  Daughter is 12.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
hunting ove bait is a sick bird in VA (Ill-eagle)

You're a little late on finding a hunt spot, some counties open up in a few weeks. Us die-hards are a few months ahead of you. That said, you could try some of the public land. Some places can be fruitful, while others are down right scary... YMMV

ETA: your AO would be helpy for answers
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, no hunting over bait/feed. You may have to hope for a bit more luck.
View Quote

or if you were to find an orchard/crop... and set up just before/after their bed site... catch em coming to/from a meal...
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
VA is the ultimate in laziness.  They stand around the cut, or on 4 wheelers, and let the dogs flush em out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
LAST CHANCE TO SIGN UP FOR VAQH DEER HUNTS
Deadline Friday, August 15th!

Several DEER and multi-species hunts are still open but the deadline to apply for these hunts is Friday, August 15, 2014. Don't miss out on these great hunt opportunities:
•201 Hog Island WMA Archery Deer Hunts
•202 Hog Island WMA Deer Hunts (Shotgun and Muzzleloader)
•203 The Nature Conservancy, North Landing River
•204 Mockhorn Island WMA Deer Hunts
•205 Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge and False Cape State Park Deer Hunt
•206 Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge (Archery)
•207 Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge (Muzzleloader)
•208 Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge (Firearms)
•209 Presquile National Wildlife Refuge
•210 James River National Wildlife Refuge
•212 Lone Star Lakes Park (Hunter's Choice)
•213 Lone Star Lakes Park (Hunter's Choice)
•214 Lone Star Lakes Park (Muzzleloader/Archery)
•217 Doe Creek WMA Archery or Muzzloader Deer Hunts
•301 Cavalier WMA Hunts
•302 Featherfin WMA
•303 Merrimac Farm WMA

Apply for these hunts today! www.vaquotahunts.com
Just DAYS LEFT to apply!www.vaquotahunts.com

Once you create a VA Quota Hunts online account, you can:
•Apply for these or a variety of other quota hunts
•Pay using a credit card (we also accept check and money order)
•Check the status of the hunts you applied for,
•And if you win a hunt, download all the necessary documents and permits.

Plus for those of you in Loudoun

Banshee Reeks Archery Deer Harvest Program – October 2014
How do I register for the managed hunt program at Banshee Reeks? Interested hunters must register for the lottery through Loudoun County Department of Parks, Recreation & Community Services (PRCS). Individuals must first establish a household account. New and existing household account information is available online at www.loudoun.gov/webtrac. After establishing a household account number and password, hunters can register for the lottery. The registration fee is $10 for county residents and $15 for non-residents. In-person lottery registration will be available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. at the PRCS Administrative Office, 20145 Ashbrook Place, Ashburn, VA 20147. For additional registration assistance, call 703-777-0343.
For the Archery Only Hunt in October, registration runs through 12:00 a.m. (midnight) August 31, 2014. The Activity Number for the archery hunt is 167501-01. On September 1, a lottery spin will occur and the selected hunters, as well as alternates, will be notified via email. All registered hunters will be eligible for the lottery.
Why is Loudoun County holding these hunts? The carrying capacity is the natural level of deer that can be sustained on a certain piece of property without degradation to the natural resources or negative impacts to the deer. The number of deer on this piece of property has to be reduced. Staff from PRCS and the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) has jointly conducted deer herd health assessments at Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve (BRNP) for several years. DGIF biologists have determined that the health of the deer is declining and that the carrying capacity of the deer herd at BRNP has been far exceeded.
What are the actual dates of the harvest? The Archery Only Hunt will occur October 17, 24, and 31. All selected hunters are required to attend an orientation class on Sunday, September 21, at Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve. Hunting zones will be assigned at the orientation.
What time of day is the harvest program taking place? Hunters may check in at 5:30 a.m. on the day of the hunt. Official hunting times will begin ½ hour before sunrise and conclude ½ hour before official sunset.
Can I shoot bucks or does? PRCS has instituted an Earn-A-Buck (EAB) program. Hunters will be allowed to harvest one antlered buck with a minimum of four (4) points total after they harvest at least one antlerless deer. The hunter must use their own DGIF issued tag for the antlered buck. All tags for an antlerless deer will be issued by BRNP. The antlerless deer harvest program at BRNP is part of the Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) through the Virginia DGIF.
How many deer per day can I harvest? There is no limit on the number of antlerless deer that can be harvested; however, hunters are required to take all of the deer that they harvest.
Is any of the meat going to Hunters for the Hungry? This is up to the individual hunter. Loudoun County does not require donation to this program. However, we are encouraging participation in this program and will be providing information on Hunters for the Hungry.
I am a disabled hunter. Can I participate? We have identified several locations that will be able to accommodate disabled hunters. Disabled hunters selected in the lottery should contact the nature preserve manager at 703-669-0316.
I have an underage child whom I would like to experience the hunt. Is this permitted? We are limiting the number of participants in each area to one; therefore, children will not be allowed to participate.
Can my 15-year-old participate? Virginia hunting regulations require hunters under the age of 16 to be directly supervised by an adult. Since only one hunter is allowed per area for this hunt, minors under the age of 16 will not be allowed to participate.
Can I purchase more than one lottery chance? There is no limit to the number of lottery chances purchased.
However, registration will close at 12:00 a.m. (midnight) on August 31 for the Archery Hunt and there will be only one
lottery spin.
How will I know if I am selected? Selected hunters and alternates will be notified by email. All selected hunters and
alternates must respond by email indicating whether or not they intend to participate. This reply must be received no
later than September 10 for the October Archery Hunt.
If I am selected, do I get to hunt one or more days? All selected hunters are expected to participate in all three days
of the Archery Hunt. If a selected hunter cannot participate in all three days, he/she can relinquish that day to an
alternate by notifying the Banshee Reeks manager. All selected hunters must hunt on the first day - October 17 - or
forfeit their hunt.
How do I qualify? Qualification cards are available online. Click here for qualification card. The signed qualification card
must be brought to the Orientation in order to obtain a hunting permit. Qualification cards will not be mailed. If a hunter
has qualified at other controlled hunts in Northern Virginia within the past three years, we will honor that qualification.
In addition, archery qualifications will be offered at Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve on September 5 and September 12
from 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. Registration for these archery qualifications can be done online using WebTrac or by calling
703-77-0343. The activity number for September 5 is 167510-01. The number for September 12 is 167510-02. The
registration fee is $10.
Who can I call for more information? Contact Banshee Reeks Manger Ron Circé at 703-669-0316 for information
about the hunt. For registration information or assistance, contact the PRCS administrative office at 703-777-0343.
Where is Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve? Banshee Reeks is located a few miles south of Leesburg at 21085 The
Woods Road. The preserve consists of 725 acres and is bordered by the Goose Creek to south and the Loudoun
County Landfill to the northeast.
Do I need a Virginia Hunting license? All applicable hunting rules and regulations will be in effect during this archery
hunt. All applicable licenses, such as Virginia Hunting, Big Game, or Archery, are mandatory and will be checked at the
orientation meeting.
Where do I purchase the Loudoun County hunting permit, if I am selected? Each selected hunter must pay a nonrefundable
$30 permit fee by September 17. The permit fee can be paid online at www.loudoun.gov/webtrac using
activity number 167511-01 or in person at the PRCS Administrative office in Ashburn. The paper permits will be
distributed during the orientation meeting on September 21.
Do I need to wear Blaze Orange? The same VADGIF regulations are in effect for this program, requiring hunters to
wear blaze orange.
Do I need to hunt from a tree stand? Hunters are not required to hunt from a tree stand, however, if a tree stand is
used, a safety harness is required.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Took my daughter deer hunting in NC and she wants to go again this year.

It was a pretty easy hunt.  100M shot, does over feed from a stand.  Lets face it, I'm lazy.  Any places in virginia that do the same sort of thing?  Willing to walk, if need be, but prefer not to.  Daughter is 12.
View Quote

Think that would be called killing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Fort Eustis, you can "hunt" without effort.  I've got a few remediation sites there loaded with deer.  The herd is actually prohibiting revegetation in the areas that have been cleaned.  I might be able to get you in early with damage permits.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Worse come to worse just drive up and down the back roads. Morning, evening...you will probably get your limit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Try Fort Eustis, you can "hunt" without effort.  I've got a few remediation sites there loaded with deer.  The herd is actually prohibiting revegetation in the areas that have been cleaned.  I might be able to get you in early with damage permits.
View Quote

That might work.

I see does when running.  In nc it was more a cu
Ll thing than anything else
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I found an old fall down log cabin and an abandoned apple orchard in the national forest near a power line cut with a very steep hill down to a creek.
Sat on the ground at the top of the hill, never took more than about an hours to bag a deer.
Shot at one that was over 200 yards away (used a range finder).
It ran into the woods from the cut and I started packing up for the day.
looked one more time with binoculars before leaving and the back was back in the cut.
I did not miss the second time.
The evening breeze had started up at the height the bullet had to go over the trees.
10 minutes before sunset.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That might work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might work.

I'm only down at Eustis every couple months, but I'm on the team that manages the Superfund site program.  I can call my onsite project manager if you are interested in tags.  I might even pop a few when I make the next inspection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top