Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2014 5:41:01 AM EDT
Looking for a place to wade/bank fish in VA this monday tuesday or wednesday. Looking for specific intel like "park here, fish here", not "potomac river"

Anyone have a spot they know is easy to get to on foot? Ive tried pohick bay and some of the other creeks nearby, but there is just no beating a kayak in those areas I guess.... didnt do very well...

or maybe anyone want to loan me a 'yak for a day or 2?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a 17 pounder caught in Aquia creek last year.

From DGIF:

Northern snakeheads are found in the Potomac River from Great Falls downstream to Chesapeake Bay. Although verified in the nontidal section of the Potomac and its tributaries above Washington, D.C., most snakeheads are still found in the tidal waters from D. C. downstream to Colonial Beach (and in tributaries of D.C., Maryland and Virginia within this reach). They are very abundant in all of Virginia's tidal tributaries to the Potomac River within this reach (e.g., Little Hunting Creek, Dogue Creek, Pohick Creek, Occoquan River, Neabsco Creek, Quantico Creek, and Aquia Creek).
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The area around Fletchers Boathouse is supposed to be pretty good, but I've never fished it.  What you're looking for is shallow, weedy, calm water.  I've seen more of them in 4-6" of water than anywhere else.  

There have a been a lot of people bow fishing this year and it's put a pretty good dent in their numbers around the Potomac and its tributaries.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking for a place to wade/bank fish in VA this monday tuesday or wednesday. Looking for specific intel like "park here, fish here", not "potomac river"

Anyone have a spot they know is easy to get to on foot? Ive tried pohick bay and some of the other creeks nearby, but there is just no beating a kayak in those areas I guess.... didnt do very well...

or maybe anyone want to loan me a 'yak for a day or 2?
View Quote

Did you check this place out?

Snaggedline Kayak Fishing

It's a DELMARVA fishing and kayak fishing forum.  Lots of what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Dogue Creek by Ft. Belvoir; park along the road beside Old Grist Mill, walk down to the creek on the same side you parked.  I've seen several taken from here.
It's a tidal creek, check tides before you go.  

I have personally caught panfish of various types as well as some nice sized bass.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
A former coworker fishes much of Northern & Central Virginia and blogs about it:  Check out: http://www.theacuteangler.com/

If you are that hard up for boat come down to Culpeper and I'll hook you up with a jon boat or kayak.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A former coworker fishes much of Northern & Central Virginia and blogs about it:  Check out: http://www.theacuteangler.com/

If you are that hard up for boat come down to Culpeper and I'll hook you up with a jon boat or kayak.
View Quote

I read that as "The Cute Angler" and was hoping to see some fishing babe!
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

Haha, no my colleague is anything but cute.  However, for the old geysers and cub anglers in the bay we do have the lovely Dr. Julie Ball.......and she even has a fishing calendar

Dr. Ball

Edit for preface

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#8]
And here's a link for the south end of the Bay:

http://www.piratesoflynnhaven.org/
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, since I got a little off topic from what I know the snakehead is believed to still be confined to NOVA.  It does seem like the salinity will keep it from inhabiting the bay.  There's alledgely a pond in Mason Neck Forest that has snakeheads and I've heard of them being caught in Aquia.  When I was in utilities, the state ask me to investigate a massive fishkill on Quantico Creek.    Thousands of fish to include the very hardy gar died, but not one snakehead was seen. My guess is creeks like this one are too tidal and they will not live, or may only be able to inhabit or migrate thru only at certain times when salinity is rather low. This was 4yrs ago. Hopefully they aren't ranging any further but it seems like they could be found in most any freshwater stream or river in NOVA.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Snakeheads have spread south to the Rappahannock and across the bay to the eastern shore tidal creeks.  They are also in the Occoquan Reservoir and Hunting Run Reservoir.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Snakeheads have spread south to the Rappahannock and across the bay to the eastern shore tidal creeks.  They are also in the Occoquan Reservoir and Hunting Run Reservoir.
View Quote

I've noticed the VDGIF website changes their info on snakesheads a bit.  Now they are saying it exists in tidal waters and in the Bay.  It also list Quantico Creek as prime location for them, so there you go OP, easy access and not many people.  I suppose since snakehead can sort of breath out of water when the water DO dropped and killed most everything else in Quantico Creek it didn't have any effect on the snakeheads.........this fish is a beast!

So I wonder when they will show up in the James River.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the Occ??? I live on the rez and fish it damn near every weekend. Never heard of them being caught here...
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the Occ??? I live on the rez and fish it damn near every weekend. Never heard of them being caught here...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it was caught during a tournament last Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is some info http://www.baybass.com/forum/index.php?topic=319.0
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dogue Creek by Ft. Belvoir; park along the road beside Old Grist Mill, walk down to the creek on the same side you parked.  I've seen several taken from here.It's a tidal creek, check tides before you go.  
I have personally caught panfish of various types as well as some nice sized bass.
View Quote

'zactly what Im lookin for!

My buddy offered to take me out wednesday in his boat. If that falls through Ill be here fishin
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FWIW, since I got a little off topic from what I know the snakehead is believed to still be confined to NOVA.  It does seem like the salinity will keep it from inhabiting the bay.  There's alledgely a pond in Mason Neck Forest that has snakeheads and I've heard of them being caught in Aquia.  When I was in utilities, the state ask me to investigate a massive fishkill on Quantico Creek.    Thousands of fish to include the very hardy gar died, but not one snakehead was seen. My guess is creeks like this one are too tidal and they will not live, or may only be able to inhabit or migrate thru only at certain times when salinity is rather low. This was 4yrs ago. Hopefully they aren't ranging any further but it seems like they could be found in most any freshwater stream or river in NOVA.
View Quote

I've caught them as far south as Reedville, VA in what I would consider straight salt water by Owens Pond and Gaskins pond.  Apparently they're able to survive long trips on the bay after big storms when the salinity is lower at the surface.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#17]
What ever you do kill every one you catch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My buddy offered to take me out wednesday in his boat. If that falls through Ill be here fishin
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dogue Creek by Ft. Belvoir; park along the road beside Old Grist Mill, walk down to the creek on the same side you parked.  I've seen several taken from here.It's a tidal creek, check tides before you go.  

Let me know how it goes.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What ever you do kill every one you catch.
View Quote

im gonna eat em... no matter the size
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top