Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2014 3:59:59 PM EDT
Can anyone point me in the right direction to start getting into IDPA/USPSA in SW VA, Roanoke/NRV area? Ive shot in GSSF matches before, but  looking to expand my shooting horizons
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club (RRRC) hold both USPSA (Every 3rd Saturday of the month) and IDPA (Action Pistol) (Every 2nd Saturday of the month) shoots every month and they are open to the public. Christiansburg Izaaak Walton Chapter has IDPA (Action Pistol) every 3rd Saturday of the month March-October or November and are open to the public. Red 6 in Lynchburg does/did IDPA but I heard they were shutdown due to zoning issues and I don't know if they have reopened or not. There may be more in the area but these are the only 2 shoots I attend.

*I added the (Action Pistol) because they aren't true IDPA events. They are based on IDPA and follow most of the rules, but there is a lot more leeway at these events as far as gear and weapons. At the RRRC shoots we mostly adhere to IDPA rules and format, but at the Christiansburg IWL shoots we often involve very minor 2-gun elements where we shoot pistol and a shotgun or pistol and an AR and we often shoot targets which are not IDPA approved. I guarantee you'll never shoot through a car windshield at an IDPA sanctioned match
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if this is southwest enough for you, but there is a great monthly USPSA match at Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club in Montpelier
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can anyone point me in the right direction to start getting into IDPA/USPSA in SW VA, Roanoke/NRV area? Ive shot in GSSF matches before, but  looking to expand my shooting horizons
View Quote

I've met you. At Target in Christiansburg.

Izaak Walton and RRRC are your best bets.

ETA: This guy has the best licence plate EVER for Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club (RRRC) hold both USPSA (Every 3rd Saturday of the month) and IDPA (Action Pistol) (Every 2nd Saturday of the month) shoots every month and they are open to the public. Christiansburg Izaaak Walton Chapter has IDPA (Action Pistol) every 3rd Saturday of the month March-October or November and are open to the public. Red 6 in Lynchburg does/did IDPA but I heard they were shutdown due to zoning issues and I don't know if they have reopened or not. There may be more in the area but these are the only 2 shoots I attend.  

*I added the (Action Pistol) because they aren't true IDPA events. They are based on IDPA and follow most of the rules, but there is a lot more leeway at these events as far as gear and weapons. At the RRRC shoots we mostly adhere to IDPA rules and format, but at the Christiansburg IWL shoots we often involve very minor 2-gun elements where we shoot pistol and a shotgun or pistol and an AR and we often shoot targets which are not IDPA approved. I guarantee you'll never shoot through a car windshield at an IDPA sanctioned match
View Quote

Thanks for the info. So since theyre open to the public, does that mean I can go attend and/or shoot? Do I have to join either organization prior to be able to do so?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, whats up man?

So I guess you liked my license plate?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. So since theyre open to the public, does that mean I can go attend and/or shoot? Do I have to join either organization prior to be able to do so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you do not have to be a member or accompanied by a member to shoot the matches. Obviously, you can't use the other ranges unless you're a member.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I co direct the IWLA match in Cburg, and do a large portion of the stage design. We would love to have you out for the next match. I used to shoot the RRRC match every month but it has been hit or miss this year. There's usually a large crowd, and it takes forever. I put quite a bit of thought into the stages at our match. We have a car, a door, lots of walls and a range where we can shoot 180 to the line on both sides which allows for shoot house style stages. There's a good group of guys and we always have a lot of fun. Feel free to IM me for more info.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I co direct the IWLA match in Cburg, and do a large portion of the stage design. We would love to have you out for the next match. I used to shoot the RRRC match every month but it has been hit or miss this year. There's usually a large crowd, and it takes forever. I put quite a bit of thought into the stages at our match. We have a car, a door, lots of walls and a range where we can shoot 180 to the line on both sides which allows for shoot house style stages. There's a good group of guys and we always have a lot of fun. Feel free to IM me for more info.
View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hey, whats up man?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, whats up man?

But by join date, you're a 14'er. And well... that plate.  I think you need to post a pic.  And then post it in GD. You may win something.

And yes, I love it. LOL
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]
RRRC puts on a good match from my limited experience.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a heads up guys the IWLA match is this Saturday. I've put together some fun stages. Hope to see some of you guys come out. If anyone else is interested feel free to IM me
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot action pistol out of IWLA for the first time earlier this summer and had a great time. Everyone was very helpful. If I had a better work schedule I would be out there every month but unfortunately it just hasn't worked out for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I shot action pistol out of IWLA for the first time earlier this summer and had a great time. Everyone was very helpful. If I had a better work schedule I would be out there every month but unfortunately it just hasn't worked out for me.
View Quote
I can't believe I haven't seen you out at the club! Last time I saw you was when you joined.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top