Posted: 8/4/2014 5:00:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Party school!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
everything i've heard from some of my friends that go there is all about parties and drugs, their education is meh at best if you kid doesn't plan on working their tail off
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a number of things to look for.  What does your kid want to study?  Do they want to stay in VA?  In the region?  What do they want to do post college?  

I looked for a school that would have a large alumni network.  There are always Penn State grads looking to hire other Penn State grads, all over the country, but especially on the east coast.  

I went to HS in Fairfax County, graduated in 2005.  When I was looking for colleges, in state I looked at UVA, Virginia Tech, JMU and W&M.  I didn't have the grades to get into UVA or William and Mary, was rejected from Tech, and got into JMU.  While I don't know where Radford falls in the Virginia college pecking order, it was miles below those four.  I am a firm believer in the idea that the college you go to sets you up for success or failure in the job market.  IMO, there is a significantly greater ROI elsewhere in Virginia.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
All kidding aside, my wife got her Masters there. She thought highly of the level of education, but again, this was for a Masters degree. The people I know who went there enjoyed their time there and seem to have gotten an honest education.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Well you've already heard the party school part, but a kid is going to find loud music, beer, and the opposite sex wherever they are if they look for it.

I thought it was a good school.  I was a Criminal Justice major.  The upper level courses were sufficiently challenging.  The professors were good folks for the most part.  I have gotten offered every corrections/law enforcement/p&p job I've applied for.  No one has laughed when they read my resume....at least not in my face.

I liked the area as well.  Great weather.  Plenty of outdoor stuff to do.  It was close enough to civilization for me.  

What I thought was cool is the campus was big enough, but I still knew/recognized most of the people I ran into.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]

I met my wife there.  She is a teacher.  She has always said the teaching program was great.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My sister is currently there.  It seems ok?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:59:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info so far.

Definitely looking at in state for tuition reasons, and it's about 3 hours each way from home. Not so far that I can't get there if really needed, and the area looked nice.

The kid is looking at a teaching degree (secondary education, possibly focusing on history), and supposedly they have a decent teaching program. The guide didn't really pimp it much on the tour though, so I'm not sure if they just think the program sells itself, or they just wanted to focus on their new and improved features.

I really liked the campus. My oldest kid is currently attending Longwood, and it gave me the same kind of vibe. Nice looking, but not so big that it's overwhelming. Plus as Vaquero pointed out, the population is still small enough to still recognize lots of people.

Now to get the "party school" nightmares out of my head, and all would be great.

View Quote

Sorry to jump into your thread, I know nothing about Radford.  But you mentioned a kid at Longwood.  My son is currently going to NOVA and Longwood is one of the schools he is thinking of transferring to.  So what are your thoughts on Longwood?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info so far.

Definitely looking at in state for tuition reasons, and it's about 3 hours each way from home. Not so far that I can't get there if really needed, and the area looked nice.

The kid is looking at a teaching degree (secondary education, possibly focusing on history), and supposedly they have a decent teaching program. The guide didn't really pimp it much on the tour though, so I'm not sure if they just think the program sells itself, or they just wanted to focus on their new and improved features.

I really liked the campus. My oldest kid is currently attending Longwood, and it gave me the same kind of vibe. Nice looking, but not so big that it's overwhelming. Plus as Vaquero pointed out, the population is still small enough to still recognize lots of people.

Now to get the "party school" nightmares out of my head, and all would be great.

View Quote
For education it is a good school. My wife is a teacher and a lot of her teacher friends went there. I dunno if it's something in the water, but that school seems to crank out teachers.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#16]
You're just about 10 miles too far southwest... Go Hokies!

I know several Radford students/former students. Good school but they don't have engineering, not that that matters for a teaching degree.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]
if you kids is looking to go into teaching and has the grades i would push JMU, i know a few kids that have graduated with masters in teaching and loved their time there
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I know several Radford students/former students. Good school but they don't have engineering, not that that matters for a teaching degree.
View Quote
Y'all need to get your own damned Walmart!

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I went there for a year and had too much fun. They didn't ask me back.

My wife got her teaching degree there, but her program had 3 people in it. (deaf ed.) She enjoyed it, but lived in the next town over so didn't get the same experience I did. But it is a good school. It has grown immensely since I went there in 2003. There is a public range 30 minutes away with a half dozen gun stores in the area. There is also public trans now to get them to Christiansburg for the mall and Wal-Mart. They can also hop the bus to Blacksburg I believe.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I got some feedback from my daughter (who goes to school at Virginia Tech and has a lot of friends that either go to, or have graduated from, Radford) and this is what she had to say... "They have a great program for performing arts (dance, etc) and a great masters program for teaching. The undergraduate program isn't the most rigorous...if you're planning on going to graduate school anywhere other than Radford, you may want to look elsewhere for your undergrad education. The "party scene" isn't as crazy as people make it seem. Yes, there are parties every night of the week...but that's true of any college if you look in the right places. The main difference is that Radford is in a small town, so it's more noticeable. The good thing about Radford is that they have all the necessities in the town, but Roanoke is about 40 minutes away and Tech is about 15. So you get the small-town vibe, but have a big college right down the street and a city down the highway if you need to change it up for a weekend. There's definitely lots of stuff to do for people that like the outdoors (hiking, tubing, etc). One of the biggest selling points I think is the price....the actual school is reasonable and when people move off-campus their rent is WAY cheaper than it is in Blacksburg. Definitely take into consideration the education--that's what you go to college for....but you also want to be comfortable with where you end up to get that education.The biggest negative is that highlanders are not hokies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a friend in their OT masters program. Good program bit you'll probably get more doing undergrad as a Hokie. Then go anywhere you want for the teaching degree.

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, C'burg ain't that far. Plus we're getting the largest IMAX screen this side of the museum in Richmond!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#25]
My brother went there, teaching degree, got a job all's well.  FWIW he did his partying at VT (I love VT) then got serious and got his degree down the road in Radford.  You can't turn an 18 YO kid from Berryville lose in Blacksburg with 15,000 women and not expect some issues...

The New River Valley is gorgeous they will love Radford.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I went to Tech...

25 years ago (can't believe it's been that long) when I was in the game, Radford was considered the back up school for most people, with very few targeting it as a 1st choice.  It had a below average reputation for academics at that time, with correspondingly low admission requirements. Everything's been taken up a notch, so it might have improved greatly in the past few decades and this info may be obsolete.

The common joke was: "What is the 1st thing a Radford girl does when she wakes up in the morning...go back home to Radford"

I haven't even been back since I dropped my apartment keys off after graduation in May of 1992.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#28]

I am a Radford Grad 05-2010

I lived on campus, in muse the big high rise. I preferred off campus clement street near highland village was nice and quiet. I finished up on howe street on the edge of campus( loved that location)

Were there partys.....yes but back when I was there the cops were cracking down more and more(I heard that started in 2005 when I was a freshman)

Also there is a Radford University Skeet and trap club that was a lot of fun, there is a great trap field about 20min outside of Radford in Dublin.

and lets not forget the local gunshops like whitetail outfitters in Rhiner outside of Christiansburg.

at the end of the day all colleges have partys, I liked the outdoor activites that Radford offered, to be honest at that time frame JMU was whipping up on us for the crazy partys

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#29]
For gun shops, Atlas Tactical in Newport, just past the JNF off 460 is the best!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

For gun shops, Atlas Tactical in Newport, just past the JNF off 460 is the best!
View Quote
Ugh, you're newbness is showing. Give it time, it'll be the last place you go to.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Took a tour of the campus today (middle child is interested), and was looking for some input from any of the members here.

Good, Bad, meh?

Thanks!
View Quote
I retired from Montgomery County Schools, and at least 60% of teachers there graduated from Radford. It is a great school for education profession. I live 6 miles from RU on Claytor Lake. I started to attend RU as a night student, but the hours would have killed me. I would recommend RU for your daughter.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ugh, you're newbness is showing. Give it time, it'll be the last place you go to.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

??? Where should I go?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
??? Where should I go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

??? Where should I go?
The only decent place around, in my opinion, is Whitetail Outfitters in Riner. While they don't have a great selection of accessories, they have the guns. Miller's is a waste of time. There have been too many moments at Atlas. Atlas was supposed to be the best place to go and they had a lot of high expectations from themselves but they failed on every level. They still think it's illegal to buy more than one handgun at a time. Either that or they don't want to bother with the paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The only decent place around, in my opinion, is Whitetail Outfitters in Riner. While they don't have a great selection of accessories, they have the guns. Miller's is a waste of time. There have been too many moments at Atlas. Atlas was supposed to be the best place to go and they had a lot of high expectations from themselves but they failed on every level. They still think it's illegal to buy more than one handgun at a time. Either that or they don't want to bother with the paperwork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

??? Where should I go?

Meh, I've had good experiences at Atlas. Only been in White Tail Outfitters once, but it was a good experience too. I must admit, asking about their suppressors and them letting me shoot a few rounds through the back for free was awesome! They've got good prices as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Meh, I've had good experiences at Atlas. Only been in White Tail Outfitters once, but it was a good experience too. I must admit, asking about their suppressors and them letting me shoot a few rounds through the back for free was awesome! They've got good prices as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

??? Where should I go?

If you need a part in a pinch, they have most. But their lack of knowledge and the driving distance makes them not so appealing anymore. I had all my transfers through them until they changed prices.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I retired from Montgomery County Schools, and at least 60% of teachers there graduated from Radford. It is a great school for education profession. I live 6 miles from RU on Claytor Lake. I started to attend RU as a night student, but the hours would have killed me. I would recommend RU for your daughter.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took a tour of the campus today (middle child is interested), and was looking for some input from any of the members here.

Good, Bad, meh?

Thanks!

Daughter.....no way would I send her to RU.  The ratio of men:women  was so off kilter at VT that RU girls had all the RU guys and half of VT coming at them.  There was also social pressure b/c of this to hook up even more-so.   Radford was the #1 STD in state college, at least back when I was at VT.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Daughter.....no way would I send her to RU.  The ratio of men:women  was so off kilter at VT that RU girls had all the RU guys and half of VT coming at them.  There was also social pressure b/c of this to hook up even more-so.   Radford was the #1 STD in state college, at least back when I was at VT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, Bad, meh?

Thanks!

Tech is almost half women. Not in the ENGE college, but overall it is a ratio of 1.397 men to women.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top