Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2014 10:19:29 AM EDT

Most importantly is it more or less a shit hole than Hampton Roads?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#1]
[Blacksburg guy who now lives in Tidewater talking] Pulaski can be a hole...but less than HR with way less traffic and lower cost of living.  If you prefer deer hunting and the AT to catching croaker and traffic you will love it.  I'd much rather live in Pulaski than Hampton Roads- 64 goes both ways if you want to hit the beach again plus rural living ftw.

stats

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pulaski is the biggest blemish in the New River Valley. I'm sure most of us from the area would agree. I will certainly not send my kids to the High School.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Claytor Lake is nearby. That's a plus.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pulaski is the biggest blemish in the New River Valley. I'm sure most of us from the area would agree. I will certainly not send my kids to the High School.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude...

Compared to Hampton Roads Pulaski is fucking awesome.  What the hell are you smoking?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dude...

Compared to Hampton Roads Pulaski is fucking awesome.  What the hell are you smoking?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude...

Its all relative  
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
OP- dunno if you have kids or not (big question with schools around there) if so, can you work in Pulaski and live in an area nearby?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

OP- dunno if you have kids or not (big question with schools around there) if so, can you work in Pulaski and live in an area nearby?
View Quote

No kids, even if I did they would never go to a government school; but school quality tends to tell about the quality of the community and crime levels.

I can work and live anywhere there is reliable high speed internet.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#8]
TONS of nice rural places (if that is your thing) to live near there- you should be gtg.  Blacksburg and Roanoke offer a much wider variety of entertainment and dining options so you might want to keep them within an easy commute.  Good luck- I am jealous (I'd love to move back to the NRV).  Lots of hunting, fishing, hiking and etc awaits.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No kids, even if I did they would never go to a government school; but school quality tends to tell about the quality of the community and crime levels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If thats the case, you might want to be closer to Blacksburg, although I think Comcast or Shentel is around there. Check the outskirts of Christiansburg and Blacksburg in Montgomery County, right outside town limits.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dude...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude...

I wasn't comparing to HR, but to surrounding counties. I can fully understand that an urban area such as Hampton Roads would be a shit hole.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a prescription for pain meds I think you can pay your water bill with that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wasn't comparing to HR, but to surrounding counties. I can fully understand that an urban area such as Hampton Roads would be a shit hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude...

Ok seriously.  Is Pulaski really that bad?  I spent several years in Radford.  I didn't spend a lot of time in Pulaski, but it didn't seem horrible.  

I didn't have kids at the time and I was usually drunk, so I could have missed most of the bad stuff.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Pulaski is a shithole, but not a ghetto-fab one like Bad News or Hampton. In reality, it's not THAT bad. The schools are pretty bad and there's not much out that way, but it is very rural and some parts are very remote. Compared to Bburg or Christiansburg it's pretty bad but if you want to be in the country and be able to buy land or a home for a lot less money than other places in the NRV area it's where you want to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top