Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 2:53:13 PM EDT
What is the deal with no used bikes in VA?

I am training for my first triathlon and am having issues with my borrowed bike.

I can't find any shops that deal in used bikes and craigslist is pretty limited so far.  I don't have the cash for a new bike so I am hoping I can swing a several year old bike.

Any riders out there that will share their honey hole?  I found a Felt S32 that is local, but I haven't gotten a response to the ad....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I ride a 60-61cm frame. Not a lot of them floating around. I got lucky and found a Cervelo TT bike a few years ago on CL. Keep looking. Do you use http://www.searchtempest.com/ ?

Which race you doing?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you located ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I am selling a Trek Madone 2.1 if you want. Like new.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ride a 60-61cm frame. Not a lot of them floating around. I got lucky and found a Cervelo TT bike a few years ago on CL. Keep looking. Do you use http://www.searchtempest.com/ ?

Which race you doing?

View Quote

I am a 60cm as well..  Plenty of 50-54 bikes out there..  Sucks being tall.  

I do use search tempest and the CL app on my mini.

Quantico will be my first.  Figured I would do a few sprints to figure out my transitions.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where are you located ?
View Quote

Leesburg
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any idea of the size..  It has been a bit since I have seen you, but I am remembering you being a bit shorter than me.  I could be wrong though.

As listed above, I'm looking for 60cm.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any idea of the size..  It has been a bit since I have seen you, but I am remembering you being a bit shorter than me.  I could be wrong though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap I have no idea.

I am 6'2".
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Norfolk/Hampton Roads Craigslist is always full of legit used road bikes.

Lots of military and local guys move here with them and then realize our roads are suicide to ride on and sell their bikes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lots of military and local guys move here with them and then realize our roads are suicide to ride on and sell their bikes.
View Quote

Thats why I'm selling my road bike.  I'm NOVA, but its still terrifying riding around here...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beach cruiser + $2.00 Mimosa @ Doc Taylors on  a Sunday morning.......
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
my buddy Danny runs Bull Run Bikes in Manassas. Pretty sure he does used rides
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am training for my first triathlon and am having issues with my borrowed bike.
I can't find any shops that deal in used bikes and craigslist is pretty limited so far.  I don't have the cash for a new bike so I am hoping I can swing a several year old bike.
Any riders out there that will share their honey hole?  I found a Felt S32 that is local, but I haven't gotten a response to the ad....
View Quote

Would you be interested in this? (Pics below).  Are you a builder/handy with bike maintenance?  

Shimano. More of a road bike than a triathlon bike, tho.   Been in my garage/storage for literally a couple of decades.  Not cutting-edge, technology-wise; pretty dirty, tires are flat; will need new tubes & possibly tires due to age, at least. Parts with grease (hubs, cables, chain) will surely need maintenance.

Don't know what size it is; but I'm 5'11" and the bike was always too big for me.

But here's the best part:  U pick it up and it's free. (I live in Lake Ridge; about 2mi. west of Tacketts Mill, if you know where that is).

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would you be interested in this? (Pics below).  Are you a builder/handy with bike maintenance?  

Shimano. More of a road bike than a triathlon bike, tho.   Been in my garage/storage for literally a couple of decades.  Not cutting-edge, technology-wise; pretty dirty, tires are flat; will need new tubes & possibly tires due to age, at least. Parts with grease (hubs, cables, chain) will surely need maintenance.

Don't know what size it is; but I'm 5'11" and the bike was always too big for me.

But here's the best part:  U pick it up and it's free. (I live in Lake Ridge; about 2mi. west of Tacketts Mill, if you know where that is).

http://i60.tinypic.com/10wjln9.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/29ndkie.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if he's not interested in it, I am... and live in Dale City..

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Copy, Lumpy.  Sent the OP a 'last-chance-to-claim-it' IM.  If he doesn't reply soon, it's yours.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Okay, sounds fair..
message on the way...

Thanks !

crap-ola... message won't "go".. membership expired, and my "inbox" is "980% full".. so it says..

renewing my membership as soon as I figure this out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aint that the truth!

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Lumpy, the bike is yours.

IM sent with address & contact info.

Just let me know when you want to get it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:59:44 AM EDT
[#19]
My g/f got a used bike last weekend from Twice Again Sports, they deal in used sports equipment. We are in the Fredericksburg area, she tells me the stores has locations in multiple areas.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lumpy, the bike is yours.

IM sent with address & contact info.

Just let me know when you want to get it.

View Quote

thanks, Gary123- I missed your message, but sent you one with my contact info..  

eta: sorry for the hijack, Folks- "Carry on..."
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:19:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I have an all black Trek 4500 like new, for sale. Never been mountain biking before and dont want it now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have an all black Trek 4500 like new, for sale. Never been mountain biking before and dont want it now.
View Quote

Size?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was looking for used trikes, Mt. Airy Bicycles came up in my search. They are close-ish to Loudoun.

http://bike123.com/used_bikes/used_bikeslist.php
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Size? Price? Details?

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Since everyone is keeping this going somewhat for used bikes.  I've got a 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite with a 54cm frame that I've been trying to get rid of.  Also have a set of Roval star wheels, a bike rack and bike trainer that either go with it or separately.  If anyone is interested, let me know....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top