Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 10:41:29 PM EDT
Has anyone been to the Currituck Shooting Club in Moyock, NC?  Was at the Virginia Hampton Gun Show and they had a booth and apparently they are going to allow you to do drills, ranges out to 300 yards, and a total of 5 bays.  Thinking about making the drive there but haven't had the chance yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I was on the property (around January) it was still just a sand borrow pit.
No parking area, no cover, no bays, no distance more than about 80 yards.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has anyone been to the Currituck Shooting Club in Moyock, NC?  Was at the Virginia Hampton Gun Show and they had a booth and apparently they are going to allow you to do drills, ranges out to 300 yards, and a total of 5 bays.  Thinking about making the drive there but haven't had the chance yet.
View Quote

My neighbor goes there all the time. He says it is good to go
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Doctor love, he goes to the one in moyock?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
there was (Still is?) a smallbore group or club in that area years ago,

I bought a 75 Winchester from a guy who lived in Moyock, and shot near by,

been maybe 20 yrs or more since then,,,
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Do they plan on offering uspsa or 3 gun.  Would fill the void since academi shutdown the uspsa and 3 gun this year.  Not to hijack but does anyone know why?  They still do highpower rifle and the idpa sanctioned match, so it's not like they are now anti shooting sports for civilians.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I am (was) the match director for the 3 gun matches we were running at Academi for 5 years.
Basically what happened was they got a FNG in there that wanted to change the world and raised our range rental rates so high that our match fees would be $75-$100 per shooter. That guy is no longer with Academi, and the new new guy in there is very cool. We are hoping to work something out in the future.
The high power rifle matches only use one range so their costs are 1/4 what ours would be, and the sanctioned IDPA match that was held in May was planned and scheduled with the old management.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's hoping that the New New guy can see the value of bring competition back.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am (was) the match director for the 3 gun matches we were running at Academi for 5 years.
Basically what happened was they got a FNG in there that wanted to change the world and raised our range rental rates so high that our match fees would be $75-$100 per shooter. That guy is no longer with Academi, and the new new guy in there is very cool. We are hoping to work something out in the future.
The high power rifle matches only use one range so their costs are 1/4 what ours would be, and the sanctioned IDPA match that was held in May was planned and scheduled with the old management.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody got contact info the this place? I had no idea it was there, but can't find any info on it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anybody got contact info the this place? I had no idea it was there, but can't find any info on it.
View Quote

All they currently have is a Facebook page.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I am going Saturday with some friends and just called and got some information you may find helpful.  You go to their main office to pay and sign the book so they know who is down on the range.

You can reach them at their main store T.E.M. Tactical Equipment 417A Caratoke Hwy, Moyock Shopping Plaza. Moyock, NC 27958

Phone is 252-267-9629

The range is located at Moyock Sand and Gravel at the old quarry and is open 6 days a week from 9am until 1/2 before sunset.  You can shoot up to .308 I hear.

1/2 Day / 4 hours is $30.00 pp
1 Day / 8 hours is $45 pp

1/2 Day / 4-6 people is $85
1 Day / 4-6 people is $150
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Post some pics for us please
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is their information form.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WoqC2JPG1AeGxTNVNhLXhmNEE/edit?usp=sharing
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I went here today with 3 friends.  It was awesome. No pressure for time on the 4 hours we paid for.  We went down to the range with Josh who is the owners son and an Range Safety Officer / RSO.  He is also a  Glock Armorer and Air Force Reservist.  

There were pistol stations, and many options for rifle steel targets. 50 yards, 85 yards, 100 yards, 300 yards.  Josh helped us unload, set up umbrellas over the tables and even shot with us most of the time. He worked with us to zero in a bunch of project rifles we brought out  also.  

The owners wife came out today also and asked if she could bring out water and made sure we were taken care of.  The entire day was super laid back and the best shooting experience we all had in a very long time.  We burned through so much brass that we lost count.

The range is down the hill in a green grassy area about 30 feet+ in an old quarry.  It is super private and you have that old rural outdoor country feel when just shooting with friends on a Saturday afternoon.  We shot AR's, Mini 14's, pistols, shot gun and about 4 project Mosin 91/30's.  Do not to expect to shoot steel core in any caliber. We were shooting hundreds of 7.62 X 54R rounds and they were easy on their steel.  The ringing of the steel out in the country was the sound of Freedom.

We paid the group rate of $85 for 4 to 6 folks and there were just 4 of us. We had the entire place to ourselves.  I personally live 10 minutes away and will be back to get a 6 month family membership on Monday. It helps to be an NRA Member as this helps this small shooting club keep their insurance costs down.  They have been open a short time and there will be covered areas very soon.  They plan on having shoot and scoot for pistol and rifle and some match type areas as well.

I would give this range and club 5 STARS after the experience we had there today.  Their consent forms asks for no pictures to be taken, but I spoke to the owner and let him know about the interest and he was good with it.  I will post some pics in the morning.  I will also have their flyers out at the Virginia Beach Tattoo Convention in August at our booth.

Go out, shoot and have a great time at this range. You will not be sorry.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are the pics. Sorry didn't sort them.  Walk do the hill and you have pistol on your left and also some 25 and 85 yard rifle steel targets.  At the end of the grassy area you have the 100 and 300 yard rifle steel targets.  They will be taking out the road above to make improvements in the next few weeks.

http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/inkeddood/library/
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I might go check them out when I get home. It might be as far as going to LGC but I wont have to battle tunnel traffic at least.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Good Day Everyone.

I wanted to introduce myself and offer any assistance to anyone that would like additional information for The Currituck Shooting Club, located in Moyock, NC 27958.

I'm the CEO and President of the Currituck Shooting Club Inc. and our contact information is:
417A Caratoke Hwy.
Moyock, NC 27958
252-232-9071 Club Office
757-639-4809 Personal Cell Number
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecurrituckshootingclubinc?ref_type=bookmark

I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer, and retired from what was know a Blackwater Aviation/ Presidential Airways/ AAR as their Senior Structural Engineer. My past 22 years I mainly dealt with weapon systems and aerospace/aviation designs and weapon system integration.

I now own TEM Tactical Equipment Inc., The Currituck Shooting Club Inc. and Fat Cat Custom T-Shirts. (I'm now working harder than when I was employed )

Now more about the The Currituck Shooting Club Inc.

The Currituck Shooting Club Inc. is a private, members only organization, and our vision is to provide a better shooting sport experience.

Our club was established a little over 2 years and has grown into an organization that is a unique experience.

Our Vision is to provide a family orientated environment, design and built for safety as well as fun.

We see the need for outdoor shooting range because indoor ranges are too restrictive as well as expensive.

We believe shooters need a safe shooting range that will allow shooters to practice engagement shooting (defensive shooting) as well as sport and competition shooting.

Our facility is not military, our focus is on you, your family and friends.

The Currituck Shooting Club Inc. Organizational Statement

The Currituck Shooting Club Inc. activities and facilities are for club members only.
Our organization is not public nor commercial. All members are required to pay an annual dues to be a club member, members in  good standings are welcome to attend and participate in club functions, fund raisers and utilized club facilities.
We do not charge any additional type of fee’s over and above the annual membership dues.
The Currituck Shooting Club Inc., is recognized by the National Rifle Association as an NRA Club Affiliation and is insured as a Rifle Club General Liability

Lets go shooting!!

Troy Moser
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds awesome. Hope to make it down there soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#18]
THE CURRITUCK SHOOTING CLUB INC.

FIREARMS CHALLENGE

3 EVENTS, PISTOL CHALLENGE, AR/M4 STEEL CHALLENGE AND SHOOT & SHOOT STEEL CHALLENGE..

Test your shooting skills during three different firearm competitions
-$15 for each event. $20 on day of event
-Pistol Challenge:
-AR/M4 Steel Challenge
-Also a two gun, shoot and move course
-Grand prize is a Ruger 10/22 take down Rifle
-Other prizes include AMMO and sporting goods accessories.

September 27, 2014
THE CURRITUCK SHOOTING CLUB
SPONCERED BY TEM TACTICAL EQUIPMENT INC.
419A CARATOKE HWY MOYOCK, NC

FOR MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION LOOK US UP ON Facebook:
THE CURRITUCK SHOOTING CLUB INC.

OR CALL US TO PRE-REGISTER
@ 252-267-9629
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Might be going down next weekend. Was looking at the rules on your sight. What is with "No AR Pistols"?
Can't bring down my 300BO in SBR form till I get a 5320 in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Good Morning,

AR pistol's can be used on the rifle range. Our pistol target systems are design to capture the lead and is not rated for rifle calibers..

Hope to see you next weekend

Troy Moser
The Currituck Shooting Club Inc.
417A Caratoke Hwy.
Moyock, NC 27958
252-232-9071
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm hoping to make it down soon as I live in Chesapeake

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I like this!  I have a Colonial membership, but shooting indoors, climate controled and even having some guy sweep up your brass is nice,  but  just not fun.  C2 is a good place, but still kinda static.  This place looks like a day-trip expedition; worth every penny!  Do you have bulk ammo?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#23]
TEMTAC, I live near Moyock, actually over in the South Mills area. I have been meaning to come by your store and check it out.

I will definitely be coming by now.

Is the Currituck Shooting Club accepting new members?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like this!  I have a Colonial membership, but shooting indoors, climate controled and even having some guy sweep up your brass is nice,  but  just not fun.  C2 is a good place, but still kinda static.  This place looks like a day-trip expedition; worth every penny!  Do you have bulk ammo?
View Quote

I'm at member at Colonial as well because I work down the street from it. But for the weekends I wouldnt' mind making the drive down to Currituck for some out door shooting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes we are taking new members, and will also be increasing our membership as the grounds are developed.

252-232-9071
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Last weekend we started constructing ballistic barriers, separating the pistol range from the rifle range.

This will enable shooters to keep shooting, while the other bay/bays are cold.

We will be posting construction picture on our Face Book Page, check us out on Face Book "The Currituck Shooting Club Inc.

252-232-9071
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, we do carry bulk ammo. 9mm, 40 and 45, as well as 223/5.56 308.

The hard stuff right now is: 22LR, 22 MAG,
and 380

Troy
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#28]
We are accepting new members,

Come on over, let's go shooting.

Troy
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Notice of event cancellation.
September 27th 2014

The Currituck Shooting Club Inc. has been advised by our lawyer to cancel the Challenge Day event. The cancellation is due to rules and regulations concerning our Use Permit with Currituck County. It is with deep regret the we cannot conduct this event (Fundraiser to help the Stayle family).
If anyone has any questions please contact The Currituck Shooting Club Inc. at: 252-232-9071
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I heard the club is being harassed by the county government and might close, there calling it a range and not a club, is this true?  I'd hate to see one of the few outdoor shooting places in the area be closed down. Damm liberals ruin everything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I heard the club is being harassed by the county government and might close, there calling it a range and not a club, is this true?  I'd hate to see one of the few outdoor shooting places in the area be closed down. Damm liberals ruin everything.
View Quote

TEMTAC is obviously the authority on the history of the club and its relationship to the county. However, from what I read in the local paper "The Daily Advance" it appeared the county commissioner's actually were supportive of the club's operation. If I have my facts correct, the club was actually operating without a use permit, because Currituck County didn't have any county ordinances/rules governing range operations. There were in fact no other public ranges other than the granddaddy of them all out at Academi (formerly Blackwater) and they were operating under a special use permit specifically for them. The county and the Club agreed to a short moratorium during the last year to develop the county rules for range operation. The club agreed and on adoption of the rules/ordinances, resumed operations and continue to this current date.

Based on the paper's article, it seemed the counties agreement with the club strongly emphasized the range being a club operation and that the county expected the club and TEMAC's store/commercial operation to have very prominent boundaries. The club may be just operating in an abundance of caution in cancelling this event, believing that it may violate the spirit of it's use agreement with the county.  I can certainly understand the club's desire to err on the side of caution.

I may be totally misunderstanding the situation, but the above notes is my understanding from reading the article.

TEMTAC, please tell me to shut up and color if I have any of the above wrong.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's the update.

Yes, we are being harassed by some of the county departments.

Here's the history.

Back in January one of my Gun Store competitors call the Daily Advance (News Paper) and accused us of operating an illegal public shooting range, there were several articles and none of the articles clarified that my store and The Currituck Shooting Club were two separate entities, nor did they clarify that The Currituck Shooting Club is a private club/members only club, which operated on private property.

Due to the article, with discussions with County Commissioners we petitioned Currituck County to change the UDO ordnance and we successful changed the law in Currituck County to allow outdoor shooting ranges, consequently the law that was passed pertains to public/commercial firing ranges.

What they did was to outline commercial/public shooting ranges. Within their regulation they mandated range specification so extreme that created a feasibility issue of building a range, even the county's new sheriff's range doesn't meet there own requirement. When question about the extreme differences, the counties response was, and I quote (We are the county government and we can do what we want) words from Ben Woody, county planning manager.

Continued Response on next page.

Troy Moser
President/CEO
417A Caratoke Hwy.
Moyock, NC 27958
252-232-9071
[email protected]

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Even though the new regulation were extreme, our facility complied and exceeded their requirements in every aspect.

Then we were requested to apply for a county use permit for the operation of the clubs facility and with much reservation we complied, consequently certain county department then in addition to the county’s extreme regulation added paving our access road, paving a parking lot, adding handicap parking and a paved ramp to the bottom of our facility which is 35 feet below ground level for ADA requirements.

The added cost to our club would be hundreds of thousands of dollars and would put us in a public/commercial application.

Remember for the last two years we have been a private/members only club, our club members do not and have never paid to use our facility.

As of last Friday, The Currituck Shooting Club Inc. withdrew our application on the request of our attorney. This action according to our attorney will remove us from a classification as a public/commercial application and maintain our position as a private club, and therefore according to the county regulation we should be legal to operate the way we have been doing for the last two years, however we are sure that this will not end Currituck County’s position. We will end up in court to defend our position.

Continued response on next posting..
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Now how does this play into the Challenge Day Fundraiser. At a recent TRC meeting with county planners, they questioned me about our event, and stated that we were opening up the fundraiser to the public, which would clearly uphold their position of our club as a public/commercial venture, our attorney advised The Currituck Shooting Club Inc.’s., board to cancel this event.

Now everyone clearly knows what’s happening, and we are engaged in a dispute with certain county departments who are attacking the club and in a greater part our and your 2nd Amendment Rights. Ironic for a county that calls itself the sportsmen’s paradise.

I encourage anyone and everyone to call or email Currituck County Commissioner and the County Manage and show your support for the club and support our position as a private club we are within our private rights to operate.

I encourage everyone to join our club and join our fight to defend The Currituck Shooting Club Inc., and our position as a private club, so we can continue operating and safely enjoy our sport.

Any questions, please contact The Currituck Shooting Club Inc., at 252-232-9071 or show your support by joining our Facebook page at THE CURRITUCK SHOOTING CLUB INC.

Thanks for your support.

Troy Moser
President/CEO
417A Caratoke Hwy.
Moyock, NC 27958
252-232-9071
[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top