Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2014 1:03:22 PM EDT
When do they normally ripen?

My vine has been loaded with grapes for 2 weeks but have yet to show a hint of ripening
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Early August for my table grapes (Concords mostly).
Japanese beetles are destroying mine this year.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the second year for my Concord grapes and they are already producing fruit so we're just waiting for them to ripen  I've also been attacked by the Japanese beetles and the fight continues.  Any suggestions on how to kill the little SOBs without turning the garden into a EPA Superfund site?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the second year for my Concord grapes and they are already producing fruit so we're just waiting for them to ripen  I've also been attacked by the Japanese beetles and the fight continues.  Any suggestions on how to kill the little SOBs without turning the garden into a EPA Superfund site?
View Quote

You need a bag or bucket trap set AWAY from what you are trying to protect.  Some traps may come phermone infused or the trapped beetles can also add to the allure.  However, they often draw more beetles than they trap.  

It's too late this year, but try Milky Spore to kill the grubs in the ground.  It's a fungi that targets this species.

Late July has always been peak grapes for me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You need a bag or bucket trap set AWAY from what you are trying to protect.  Some traps may come phermone infused or the trapped beetles can also add to the allure.  However, they often draw more beetles than they trap.  

It's too late this year, but try Milky Spore to kill the grubs in the ground.  It's a fungi that targets this species.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  Looking forward to the first harvest.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Spray Sevin for the Jap beetles, figure on a 7 day spray schedule.  The key to knocking them out is to break the reproduction cycle, which is why you need the regular schedule (plus new ones will always wander in).  You can try Milky Spore on the ground as a long-term improvement, but it won't do anything for the ones flying around right now.

Grape ripening is dependent on the variety of grape.  Some will be ripe next month, others not until October.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I hit them with Sevin yesterday.  I was looking for the Jap Beetle traps but everyone was out.  The guy in the Lowes garden section said there must be a bad infestation this year because they can't keep them in stock.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The traps work, but like most insect "bait" type devices, they also attract the bugs they are intended to eliminate, since they have to in order to work.  Just like the UV bug zappers, you can end up drawing in more bugs than you had in the first place.  Kill them off, break the mating cycle, and you will see some relief.  Like dandelions, if your neighbor has a bunch and doesn't do anything about them, you'll still get some wandering over, but it won't be as bad as if you didn't clobber yours first.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top