BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
They were on this part of the lake:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B003'58.0%22N+79%C2%B038'48.4%22W/@37.0661035,-79.646773,2951m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

I couldn't tell you which agency it was.  All I could see from where I was sitting was that the boat said "police" on it and they were wearing light brown shirts (a little ironic, no?) under their vests.

edited to add:  Looks like that is the Franklin County side of the lake, and they did look like Franklin County deputies according to the pictures they have online.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On the water, boat searches/compliance inspections can be done by any LEA.  However, the premise of boat boarding was for tariffs on imports..............not Americans celebrating Independence Day on the lake.  I'm not against local PDs being on the water; however, I too have seen a conduct far less professional than from USCG/ VDGIF.  There is a worthy concern apparent in this thread.   To be able to search a boat for any reason they want is BS, un-American and born out of revenue enhancement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What flavor of po-po was it? I know Virginia Game Wardens have a lot more power than regular po-po when it comes to searches. In my area the Wardens do boat safety checks.

That said I suspect what with all the herp-derp on SML every summer the county cops might be getting in on the revenue action too.

On the water, boat searches/compliance inspections can be done by any LEA.  However, the premise of boat boarding was for tariffs on imports..............not Americans celebrating Independence Day on the lake.  I'm not against local PDs being on the water; however, I too have seen a conduct far less professional than from USCG/ VDGIF.  There is a worthy concern apparent in this thread.   To be able to search a boat for any reason they want is BS, un-American and born out of revenue enhancement.

A Game Warden can search your boat just due to a suspicion of exceeding fish creel  limits if he/she sees a fishing pole or any evidence of fishing (a boat on state waters is enough according to the courts) and of course they also have the power of enforcing boating safety laws.

Boat boarding by a Game Warden to check for exceeding creel limits or boating safety has nothing to do with tariffs. Don't want the Warden to check your cooler then toss him a line because you are going to get towed.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A Game Warden can search your boat just due to a suspicion of exceeding fish creel  limits if he/she sees a fishing pole or any evidence of fishing (a boat on state waters is enough according to the courts) and of course they also have the power of enforcing boating safety laws.

Boat boarding by a Game Warden to check for exceeding creel limits or boating safety has nothing to do with tariffs. Don't want the Warden to check your cooler then toss him a line because you are going to get towed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What flavor of po-po was it? I know Virginia Game Wardens have a lot more power than regular po-po when it comes to searches. In my area the Wardens do boat safety checks.

That said I suspect what with all the herp-derp on SML every summer the county cops might be getting in on the revenue action too.

My friend, all I am saying is ANY law enforcement can search your boat without a warrant.  At least VDGIF and USGC often have a mission derived reason and are usually very professional.  Tariff enforcement was the premise for the 4th Amendment exception of boats.  Do you not see a problem with the outdated and  controversial act of 1790?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If it's an auxiliary unit then it's highly unlikely that they are conducting any kind of involuntary or non-compliant boardings. They generally don't even have a boat or equipment although a few of them do. Coast Guard Auxiliary is mostly older folks who are into boating, and they mainly do "voluntary" safety inspections for boaters (to make sure the vessel will pass if boarded by someone else) and training for boaters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a USCG unit on SML. I believe it's a small Auxiliary unit.

Both Bedford and Franklin counties have marine units. Which side of the lake was this on? Which Sheriff's Office?

If it's an auxiliary unit then it's highly unlikely that they are conducting any kind of involuntary or non-compliant boardings. They generally don't even have a boat or equipment although a few of them do. Coast Guard Auxiliary is mostly older folks who are into boating, and they mainly do "voluntary" safety inspections for boaters (to make sure the vessel will pass if boarded by someone else) and training for boaters.

It's this.....they are good guys, not out to get you.  I did the free boat license class with them in Lburg a year or two ago.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My friend, all I am saying is ANY law enforcement can search your boat without a warrant.  At least VDGIF and USGC often have a mission derived reason and are usually very professional.  Tariff enforcement was the premise for the 4th Amendment exception of boats.  Do you not see a problem with the outdated and  controversial act of 1790?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oddly enough the regular po-po can't search your boat/vehicle as it regards creel or bag limits unless a warden is present but as it always seems to go with the "pick up that can" types if it means using a 224 year old law to have their way with you they will.

I don't suspect the founders ever thought that the commerce clause would be abused like it currently is either.

While I don't agree I really don't want the loons currently in office changing a thing as it regards the Amendments. Redress of abuse should come from the SCOTUS.....Good luck with that.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey OP, I haven't read up on the Stamp Act, but wasn't that by British Decree and is null and void?  The way I understand it the The Revenue Act and it's unintended application now is the rub..

Edit:  Nevermind, on the phone I didn't read thorough enough.  With the Stamp Act, Tea Party and Revolutionary War....I'm surprised the same Congress that wrote the Bill of Rights came up with this shiiite about boat exceptions to our 4th
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Apparently dad was sitting on his dock yesterday with mom and the grandkids and 3 police boats parked in the large lake area in front of them.

They proceeded to pull over EVERY SINGLE boat and perform boardings and searches.  Pops said that the only boats they didn't pull over were because they were already busy pulling someone else over.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Apparently dad was sitting on his dock yesterday with mom and the grandkids and 3 police boats parked in the large lake area in front of them.

They proceeded to pull over EVERY SINGLE boat and perform boardings and searches.  Pops said that the only boats they didn't pull over were because they were already busy pulling someone else over.

View Quote

He should make an announcement on his VHF.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to quite a bit of fishing on that lake and there are so many tards on that water it's crazy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you know what kind of tickets they are issuing?  Has it been confirmed that they are Franklin County SO?  Anyone getting video?

There are exponentially more tards on the roads that we have to deal with everyday, but it's still illegal to search without a warrant or probable cause, so I'm not understanding the apathy from some.  Sounds like some LEA is exploiting a means to recreate on the water and harass everyone with a very deep bag of "gotchas" that should be illegal......so who's gonna challenge this?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd probably come threaten him with improper use of his radio or obstruction if he did that.

Yay, America.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top