Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2014 9:57:42 AM EDT
Was recommended to move this from team to here....

Morning everyone. I am traveling to the great state of Virginia this weekend, and having received my Florida and Utah CCW permits, intend on carrying. Just a couple questions.

I know both permits are valid in VA, I am just going to take Florida Non-Res and leave Utah in my safe. I am going to carry my SP2022 in an Alien Gear Holster. I have a couple questions that I wanted to verify my findings.

Of course, traveling, I will be passing through NJ, DC, Maryland, Delaware, and into VA. According to FOPA, I have no problem traveling between the states correct? I do not intend on stopping other than fuel, and my firearm will be secured in the trunk of the car unloaded, and separate from the magazines until arrival in VA. I am going to print a copy of FOPA to have on my person/in the vehicle just in case. Am I ok with the traveling aspect?

When getting to VA, the plan is to stop at the National USMC Museum. Has anyone been, and carried on premises? Or is there any issue with leaving my firearm in my vehicle while parked? Is that an appropriate time to get set up?

After that we are headed to Williamsburg. Friday I intend on carrying all day, and half of Saturday. We are going to a wine tasting and out to dinner, so I was going to secure my sig in my vehicle, as Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Anyone had any problems carrying in Williamsburg? I havent found any issues online but wanted to know if anyone has encountered anything.

I am going to print the regulations for each state I am going through, and putting them in an envelope in my care just in case, and have an app to tell me anything on the fly.

Am I missing anything obvious? Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are carrying your weapon, do not go through DC under any circumstances.  Use the 495 beltway to bypass DC.  As an attorney formerly practicing in DC I can tell you from experience DC does not recognize carry permits.  Unless you are law enforcement on duty, you will face the risk of arrest.  I have witnessed off duty security arrested for having weapon in car while in DC.  I witnessed another gentleman who commuted to Maryland from Virginia to work.  Traffic once forced him to detour through DC, and he happened to suffer a traffic stop.  He had a pistol he used on his farm in his truck which he had forgotten about.  Arrested and convicted.  It saddens me but the best thing is to stay out of DC with any weapons, ammo, magazines, etc.  Just not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any suggestions?
View Quote

Stay out of DC.  Laws are ignored in the District, to the detriment of good citizens ... and not just in the White House.

Being lawful ... and in jail ... will ruin a vacation.  Like New York, traveling through DC is a risk not worth taking IMO.  If Murphy's Law should strike -- and you should encounter one of DC's finest (or any of the myriad of other independent police agencies in cahoots with the anti-2A District government, including all federal LEOs) -- you will be arrested.  

And then you can fight to get out of the mess.  You will be paying your own lawyer to try to keep you from being convicted of DC's view of a crime, while the District's prosecutors and staff are endlessly funded by taxpayers and tourists who spend money in that den area of iniquity.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
"When getting to VA, the plan is to stop at the National USMC Museum. Has anyone been, and carried on premises? Or is there any issue with leaving my firearm in my vehicle while parked? Is that an appropriate time to get set up?"

I used to docent at the National Museum of the Marine Corps before heading back overseas.  

Leave your piece in the car, the Museum is a part of MCB Quantico and it is against base regs for you carry a firearm openly or concealed.  Leave the piece in its container separate from the mags and ammo.  Once you leave the museum grounds, you can go ahead and don your piece.  You do it along side the road if you can find a safe place to do so.

The museum is open 364 days of the year (Christmas day closed), from 0800 to 1700.  Enjoy your visit, it's one of the best museums in the country.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#4]
No carry at the USMC museum.  

They had metal detectors and xray machines last time I was there.  No weapons of any kind including pocket knives.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
As I responded in GD, if you are transporting a firearm stay out of DC and Maryland.

ETA: Your safest route would be getting into PA ASAP, west across PA then loop through WV into VA.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
But aside from all the bad stuff above, enjoy your visit to the Commonwealth!  LOL!

If necessary, judicious marksmanship is appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
wrt DC... spent brass will also get you trouble.  Best to just stay away from DC.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wrt DC... spent brass will also get you trouble.  Best to just stay away from DC.
View Quote

Hell, a lead musket ball recently got a guy convicted in DC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top