Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:29:00 AM EDT
These wild dogs have been eating up a bunch of local people's dogs, cats, etc.

A neighbor wants to borrow my 16" with scope . . .

Very unusual that they are seeing Coyotes in the afternoon crossing their fields . . .

What do you guys know about Coyotes here in Virginia?

Isn't it odd they're walking around in daylight?

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I live on a 210 acre farm in the mountains of the northern Shenandoah valley.  While we most often hear coyotes in packs at night, we have seen them hunting solo during the day. Years ago my brother called in and killed a 47 pounder while turkey hunting . A couple weeks ago my dad missed one running through thw field at about 1 in the afternoon. There were turkeys out in the field when he saw it. I think for they most part they hunt nocturnal prey, but in my experience they become more diurnal in the spring when turkeys are more vocal, and thus easier for them to locate. It could just be that they are always so diurnal, and I am just more observant/spend more time in the woods in the spring. I have also seen lone coyote in the woods during daylight in the fall, but with less frequency. All this is just my own personal observations.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly what the boys are telling me.

Most all of them are shotgun Deer hunters and have no long rifles.

Guess I'll bring an AR for them . . .  

Lot's of folks around here have had their dogs and cats disappear. WTF???

ETA: this farm is about 1,000 acres and with all the other surrounding property the total is maybe 10,000 acres?

Coyotes are running wild here.

I've got a couple of ACOGs but I am old and lazy now . . .
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]
There are also coyote/wolf hybrids which are bigger too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Where are you in Virginia?

I'm in Central, just South outside of Petersburg.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Arfcom coyote shoot?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
No its not unusual to see them out during the day, thats the only time we've killed any where we hunt. Always been while deer hunting though, never actively hunted just the yotes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]
That might be possible.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arfcom coyote shoot?
View Quote

This might be possible.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Arfcom coyote shoot?
View Quote

In!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom coyote shoot?

In!

+1
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a interesting thread.   I brought up the coyote topic last July or August.  We noticed that the usual deer and turkey traffic in the fields had lessened last year.  A couple of folks, who I failed to thank at the time before the thread went to archive, mentioned the midge fly disease.  We later  walked the stream beds looking for dead deer but didn't find and bones etc..  However, we, we did a male coyote walking through our yard towards the fields in the front and to the rear of our house during the daylight hours.   I finally decided to take him out and about three weeks after the shoot things appeared as usual, turkeys and deer appeared as  we normally expected.  

Like  longhunter09 mentioned, we only observed him during daylight hours.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom coyote shoot?

In!

I'm in too, I have some coyote calls. I'm probably only about 30 minutes from you or so, OP.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I tagged one from my living room at 534 yards with a suppressed JP 308.  This was in Pungo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tagged one from my living room at 534 yards with a suppressed JP 308.  This was in Pungo.
View Quote

I have to let the gf's family know about yotes over there. They live in Pungo Farms.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's good to know.  My step-sis+BIL recently moved down there with their three border collies and a maltepoo.  Staying at his best friend's place for now until they find what they're looking for.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
My son saw one behind our house one evening when we were out with the flashlights (don't remember what we were doing but he hit it with the light while looking for something else and it looked at him real quick and then hauled butt behind the shed and into the woods.

A neighbor says he's seen them in the fields beside his house in the daytime several times over the winter.

We live about a mile from Chesterfield Courthouse, almost within sight of Beach Road.  My nephew and his family saw one in a field down near the River Road area one day while headed out to the grocery store.

They are out there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Arfcom coyote shoot?
View Quote

I'm in!

Give me a date and time!

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jealous for sure.  I'd be thrilled to hit a paper plate at 150 yards.  I'm going to pretend it's my ammo or scope or something.  I've only shot about 900-1000 rds total through an AR, though.

And never had one lesson.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw a dead coyote by the side of 81 this morning around 10:00 near Harrisonburg.  It was very big & almost perfect looking.

Note to self - You know you are a redneck if you think about a trip to the taxidermist when you see road kill.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I've killed two during daylight hours and seen many more.   One was deer hunting in the morning and one was while roosting turkeys in the evening.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Coyotes hate ar's.

Basically this time of year I've had the most luck with fawn distress sounds early in the morning or early evening. I usually start a calling set with mouse squeaks, baby cottontail, adult cottontail or jack rabbit distress, fawn distress and end with coyote pup distress. I have also had luck just using fawn distress. Coyote pup distress will bring adults in fast if they feel they are being  threatened by a another group of coyotes. Be patient.

also works on foxes

and bobcats

Calling rig
DDV7
Leupold VXR 3x9
Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR250 Kill light and XLR100 scan light
Geissele SSA E
Custom Hand calls
Fox Pro
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
We heard a den of them yelping over the Fourth weekend in Prince Edward. We'll be hitting that spot as soon as the brush dies back a bit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
pevrs114,

The coyote in the top picture was killed in Prince Edward. I have a farm near Meherrin. I hear them every so often but see their tracks regularly. They are definitely there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
pevrs114,

The coyote in the top picture was killed in Prince Edward. I have a farm near Meherrin. I hear them every so often but see their tracks regularly. They are definitely there.
View Quote

My buddy's house is halfway between Hampden-Sydney and Meherrin.

I've done lots of predator hunting out near Abilene. I lived in PE from 1998-2011.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#26]
It's coyote hunting season boys!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's coyote hunting season boys!!!
View Quote

It's ALWAYS coyote hunting season
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top