Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 11:33:04 AM EDT
Long story short is I got caught not watching my speed and got a ticket! I have not had a speeding ticket in almost 25 years so I am thinking hard about fighting this. Are there any well respected lawyers in this area anyone knows about?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't had a ticket in 25 years, the judge will probably just let you do traffic school
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Did they get you in one of those brief 45mph zones on the 60mph strectch of Rt 29?  Those get contested a lot and there have been some arguably overzealous deputies, especially in Nelson.  Depending on how fast you were going and how you appear in court you may just get off. May want to calibrate your speedometer.   If you can demonstrate unknowing speed issue that you believe you corrected....you will probably be ok.  Just stating "ooops" may not be enough if the judge is tough, but I suspect at minmum you will get a ticket reduction.   Go regardless.....if the deputy doesn't show and you contest.....you win!

P.S.  Unless you are fighting a stiff ticket, I wouldn't get a lawyer in your case.....it's seems pretty straight forward and your record means more to judge than any attorney that will speak for you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
What would your grounds for fighting it be?

what the guy said before is good advice unless you have some real grounds to fight the charge or you got a reckless driving charge. You will pay more to the lawyer then prepaying the ticket would cost if this was just a plain speeding ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top