Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 6:00:53 PM EDT
You guy probably hear this all the time. I also posted in the DC hometown section.
Heading into dc to see some sights. Staying in Foggy Bottom Residence Inn for the weekend. This will be my first trip. Love the history. We have admission to the White House on Friday.
Is there any intel on what should be a priority to see or best times to go? What about seeing monuments after closing times? Walking around ? Places to stay away from? Places to eat dinner?
Anything you can share would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rex
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this one: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_24/556506_Things_To_Do_In_NoVA__Texan_visiting_.html

Also from that thread:
Quoted:
Can somebody get a thread stickied with a NOVA/DC metro area what to do guide?  These threads pop up frequently, and I think a thread at the top of the forum would be helpful.

Hell, I'll even volunteer to run/update the thread.
View Quote

VA-gunnut, I'll seriously run/update the thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Heading into dc to see some sights. Staying in Foggy Bottom Residence Inn for the weekend.
View Quote

Around 6% - 15% of all monies you spend in the District of Columbia will go to fund that corrupt, anti-Bill-of-Rights, Democrat local government and bureaucracy.
  • Sales tax - 5.75%

• Liquor sold for off-the-premises consumption - 9%

• Cigarettes - $2.00 per pack of 20 and $2.50 per pack of 25

• Restaurant meals, liquor for consumption on the premises, and rental vehicles - 10%

• Parking motor vehicles in commercial lots - 12%

• Hotels - 14.5%

I would bet a nickel -- cold, hard, cash money -- that the room-rate you booked does not include the 14.5% levy for the District's coffers. (Here's a link.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try this one: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_24/556506_Things_To_Do_In_NoVA__Texan_visiting_.html

Also from that thread:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also from that thread:
Quoted:
Can somebody get a thread stickied with a NOVA/DC metro area what to do guide?  These threads pop up frequently, and I think a thread at the top of the forum would be helpful.

Hell, I'll even volunteer to run/update the thread.

I appreciate the heads up on the thread. I did look at it before I asked. I wont be driving so ventures far away are out.
I know probably everything is unique and fascinating,but I guess I should say what are the must sees and the dont bother stops? Anything closed? Are there better times than others for different sights? Should I be the first in line for one certain sight or wait until later in the day? Are there any sights I need to prepurchase tickets for? When things close up,what to do to maximize my time there?  I can go by the visitor guides but want the best realtime information out there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Around 6% - 15% of all monies you spend in the District of Columbia will go to fund that corrupt, anti-Bill-of-Rights, Democrat local government and bureaucracy.
  • Sales tax - 5.75%

• Restaurant meals, liquor for consumption on the premises, and rental vehicles - 10%

• Hotels - 14.5%

I would bet a nickel -- cold, hard, cash money -- that the room-rate you booked does not include the 14.5% levy for the District's coffers. (Here's a link.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heading into dc to see some sights. Staying in Foggy Bottom Residence Inn for the weekend.

• Sales tax - 5.75%

• Hotels - 14.5%

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like an expensive venture. Much like the European VAT.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Feel free to stand on the left hand side of the metro escalators - no one will care (seriously don't do that, stand on the right/walk on the left.).

Founding Farmers in Foggy Bottom (in between 19th and 20th and Penn.)  is one of my favorite restaurants in the area you're staying - you'll probably need to be there at least an hour before you want to eat but its worth it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back this evening and wanted to leave you fellas some feedback on my trip. I don't really know where to start! We had a great trip and experiences. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect. Everyone was very courteous and helpful. This morning at Jefferson memorial I was looking at my phone map to determine where the Pentagon was in relation to where I was standing. A gentleman jogging by actually stopped to offer directions if we needed them! We weren't lost only getting bearings. That was very hospitable as an example. Much like the entire trip.
Got into Legal Seafoods,and Founding Farmers. Both were excellent. I had a few preconceived ideas of what DC would be like and,thankfully, it was like none of them. Our representatives office helped with getting into the White House and arranging a tour of the Capitol. I walked my ass off since Thursday trying to see as much as possible. We didn't get everything accomplished but we made a dent in it and left enough for a return trip.
I am a very Patriotic person. This trip meant a lot to me. The Star-Spangled Banner, the constitution,bill of rights,and Declaration of Independence,WWII memorial,Vietnam memorial,Arlington were the highlights for me. They all gave me goosebumps.
I don't want to bore you with what you already know. You guys live in a special area,don't take these things for granted no matter how effed up this country seems at times.
Thanks for your advice and what I didn't get to this time I will happily do on the return visit.
Rex
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top