Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 11:30:31 AM EDT
Hey All,
My baby daughter is finally graduating from Hollins next month and I wanted to spend a couple of days with her camping/shooting before she heads out of the area for good. I was thinking of us camping at the Pines Campground in New Castle, do some hiking and perhaps spend a morning over at the Potts Slope Range. Any feedback would be  appreciated on our plan, and the locations mentioned.  Alternate recommendations are also welcome.

His will happen either the weekend of the 26th or May 3rd.

Thanks,
DD
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The Pines is a great place to camp. This time of year there isn't a lot of people to contend with, and the bugs are tolerable. If you want a good hike, start at the bottom of the old Jeep trail and head to the top. Beautiful scenery along the way, and once you break through the tree cover there is an unbelievable overlook. Hook a left and you can loop back down to the campground on a gravel road.
As far as Potts Mountain, all I can say is we have a HUGE number of members who have joined our club because of the insanity that goes on up there. Ive been there once myself many years ago just to see what all the complaints were about, and it was dicey at best when others were shooting.
Hope you and the daughter have a great expedition!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the Potts Mtn. craziness...I haven't been up there in years because of it.  The last time, a 12-13 y/o kid stepped out of daddy's truck with a pistol in his hand waving it around and sweeping everyone from the parking lot.  His dad was doing the same with a shotgun.  

I packed up, left, and haven't been back.

If you do go, try to go on a weekday if you can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks ATC and LTT,

Great info. Looks like it's gonna be fun. I just need to shoot real early so I can bail before the crowds get there.

BTW - are the roads decent - as in my little focus can drive to both places or do i need AWD/4WD?

DD

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The roads to the range are all paved, if a little narrow. I have done them a bunch in a Corolla with no problems. 311 does get a little steep in places but I have never had any trouble getting up there.

Not sure about the campgrounds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks! don't mind the steep roads. Just don't want to get stuck because i took the wrong vehicle!!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The roads to the range are all paved, if a little narrow. I have done them a bunch in a Corolla with no problems. 311 does get a little steep in places but I have never had any trouble getting up there.

Not sure about the campgrounds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want a cool hike, check out McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth.

I've been to the Pott's range once.  I was fortunate when I went with my buddy and we met another arfcommer there.  We didn't have any problems that day.  If it's anything like our public range in Blacksburg, earlier is better to avoid the derp.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about the campground but I have shot at Potts Slope many times. Yes there are some unsafe people there at times but the majority that I've seen were safe. There is supposed to be chicken wire that is hung at different yardage to attach your targets to but I always carry a target stand. Bring water and snacks, the closest store is in New Castle. There is a toilet but it's sometimes devoid of toilet paper so bring a roll just in case. I need to make another visit there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Great info guys - much thanks - i am so looking forward to this

DD
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I went up there today, my first visit since the summer of 2012.

Range is closed on Tuesdays. . That one is a new one to me.

I peed (TP was present but not used), then picked up trash for 20 minutes, tossed some pocket change in the donation can, and drove home without firing a shot.

The chicken wire is gone.  You will definitely need to bring your own target holders, but no metal or exploding targets, and definitely no shooting old appliances or phones.

What a waste. I am going to look real hard at joining Ridge or RRRC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went up there today, my first visit since the summer of 2012.

Range is closed on Tuesdays. . That one is a new one to me.

I peed (TP was present but not used), then picked up trash for 20 minutes, tossed some pocket change in the donation can, and drove home without firing a shot.

The chicken wire is gone.  You will definitely need to bring your own target holders, but no metal or exploding targets, and definitely no shooting old appliances or phones.

What a waste. I am going to look real hard at joining Ridge or RRRC.
View Quote

Drop me a PM if you have any questions regarding RRRC. I'd be happy to discuss our facility with you, as well as answer any questions you might have.
Hope to hear from you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top