Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2014 5:37:07 AM EDT
Colonial Shooting Academy to open May 3, in a 50,000 Sq.Ft. off of I 264 in VA. Beach. It will be interesting to see how they do in this area. The first I knew of it was when the article appeared in today's Pilot.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I stopped by their table at a gun show last year and signed up for information on rates, the construction and the like.  Never received any information, Then they finally got the website up and running so I've been checking it out there.  I think I'll stick with Superior Pawn for now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stopped by their table at a gun show last year and signed up for information on rates, the construction and the like.  Never received any information, Then they finally got the website up and running so I've been checking it out there.  I think I'll stick with Superior Pawn for now.
View Quote

The one in Richmond is very nice
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#3]
It definitely looks great, and I know the one in Richmond is one of the best in the nation.  My superior membership only cost me 85 and that doesn't expire until Feb next year.  Just doesn't make sense for me to carry both.  I'll still check them out for other things though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Membership is pretty steep- does that price include free ammo?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Membership is pretty steep- does that price include free ammo?
View Quote

There's a discount on cases IIRC and a dollar of per box.  The website actually tells you what discounts membership gets you, stuff like exclusive range rights on weekend mornings, guest passes, etc.

Plus since it's 20 bucks an hour range fee (worth it I think for the quality) if you go twice a month you're saving money.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet the facility in VA Beach will be quite successful.  The one in Richmond is experiencing some turnover in staff for some reason, but membership there and easy access to somewhere to shoot has definitely improved my scores.  When you factor in driving time, expense, heat, bugs and all the rest, the Colonial facility comes out way ahead.

It will be interesting to see if the business model spreads and perhaps becomes a franchise.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 not cheap on firearms, but a nice shop, well done range.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I am a member at the one in Richmond and it pays for itself being I shoot at least 2 times a month. Their ammo prices are kind of high, but they had the best deal in town when I was looking at my Glock 19 and Glock 30sf. Plus if I want to take any classes you do get discounts, discount on FFL transfer fee, discount on rentals and firearm storage, 1 free handgun rental and 1 free machine gun rental and I can call ahead to reserve a lane.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The one in Richmond is experiencing some turnover in staff for some reason, .
View Quote

Gee, I wonder why.......
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to get some practice drawing and firing. It's fine to take a class and all but I need to maintain proficiency in between classes that may be a year or so apart. Does this new range have a draw-and-fire area? (I know LGC has one but I was hoping for something closer and less expensive.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, I wonder why.......

http://cur.cursors-4u.net/smilies/images1/smi20.gif

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee, I wonder why.......
http://cur.cursors-4u.net/smilies/images1/smi20.gif

Care to elaborate?

Nothing concrete that I can speak to. I know that some key people left a year or so ago. I don't know what's going on in recent months, but when you're in the business, you hear rumors and stuff from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't be any worse than what VB has now. Retail + 10%. Maybe they will have real employees that actually wait on people, instead of endlessly gabbing with the girls in tank tops in front of you who aren't purchasing anything. Or the salesman in one unnamed store who stared at me for 10 minutes as he messily gobbled down a sub sandwich, as I stood there... and stood there. This place hopefully will be a step up. I was also hoping for any big name outdoor store where we could get reasonable prices on a good selection of firearms. <sigh>

Maybe next time...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see if the business model spreads and perhaps becomes a franchise.
View Quote

The model is spreading. I know of several in various states. This one is near me in Texas:

http://www.friscogunclub.com/

For those that do not like prices, they are not catering to you. They are trying to make a place like a golf club, exclusive, amenities, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top