Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2014 6:47:04 PM EDT
Coming to Williamsburg next month to do the history stuff. Anything I need to know as far as CCW? What about places to eat. I'm leaving there and going over toward Chesapeake Bay and then probably down to stay a few nights in outer banks check out a few lighthouses and then head home.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
DeWitt-Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, in Colonial Williamsburg, 2 or 3 blocks south of Duke of Gloucester.

No, seriously. It has a beautiful collection of early firearms.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrett Hall.

Girls dorm at the College of William and Mary!

See where Thomas Jefferson and I used to  troll for tail!

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You mention lighthouses. If you plan to visit the light house at Cape Henry in Va Beach, its on a mil installation and no firearms allowed. They remove everyone from the vehicle and do a pretty good search of the car.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mention lighthouses. If you plan to visit the light house at Cape Henry in Va Beach, its on a mil installation and no firearms allowed. They remove everyone from the vehicle and do a pretty good search of the car.
View Quote

I think the lighthouses we were going to visit are down in the outer banks. Good to know though. We really don't have a concrete itinerary, so we could have possibly ended up there. Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We really don't have a concrete itinerary, so we could have possibly ended up there. Thank you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We really don't have a concrete itinerary, so we could have possibly ended up there. Thank you!

That's what I was thinking, We do the same sometimes. You're welcome and have a great time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
No matter what anyone tells you, they're wrong, don't eat at Pierce's BBQ.

If you don't mind spending a little bit, all of the restaurants at Merchant's Square are good.  If you want some good Chinese, go to Peter Chang but for lunch only. Every other chain is in Williamsburg if that's your thing.

Plaza Azteca is good Mexican also.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you don't mind spending a little bit, all of the restaurants at Merchant's Square are good.  If you want some good Chinese, go to Peter Chang but for lunch only. Every other chain is in Williamsburg if that's your thing.

View Quote

You're absolutely right about Pierce's BBQ. I tried it once, and once was enough.

For a fun lunch or dinner, try Chowning's Tavern in the restored area of Wmsbg. The food is pretty good, and the atmosphere is great. They often have a strolling minstrel at dinner.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're absolutely right about Pierce's BBQ. I tried it once, and once was enough.

For a fun lunch or dinner, try Chowning's Tavern in the restored area of Wmsbg. The food is pretty good, and the atmosphere is great. They often have a strolling minstrel at dinner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. I do BBQ competitions and typically I'm burnt out on BBQ, so we usually never go for BBQ anywhere. Google says about an hour and a half from wb to outer banks. Sound bout right? Just wondering if it's one of those " not a good way to get there" things.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Outer Banks kills Virginia Beach if what you want to do is spend the day sitting on a non-crowded, commercialized beach.  But, plan accordingly for major traffic and leave early AM
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. I do BBQ competitions and typically I'm burnt out on BBQ, so we usually never go for BBQ anywhere. Google says about an hour and a half from wb to outer banks. Sound bout right? Just wondering if it's one of those " not a good way to get there" things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always varies, depending largely on what time of the day/week you travel. The housing rentals rule at OBX and most are from Saturday to Saturday . The traffic is heavy in and out on Saturday. I've don't it in less than 4 hours from my house and also in 7 1/2 hours . The bridge over the sound can be a major choke point.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're looking for Italian I will recommend http://www.salsbyvictor.com/

Food is great, prices very reasonable, portions huge. I have open carried there many times.

As far as travel times are concerned, if you have to go through one of the tunnels, it's a crap shoot. If traffic is running well, no problem. If it backs up it can be a nightmare.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
AMEN to the "don't eat at Pierces".  It tasted like an old time dental treatment (cloves) to me.

If you're into something a little more exotic.  Nawab on Monticello has a great Indian (not Pochantas type ) lunchtime buffet for about $10 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I love Pierces! I have been eating there for 30 years and it hasn't let me down yet.  I'm also a big fan of Chownings for the historical aspect.  Love Paul's Deli right across from campus.  The Cheese Shop is OK but WAY over crowed and you tend to get more bread than meat.  Captain Georges is also a good seafood buffet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love Pierces! I have been eating there for 30 years and it hasn't let me down yet.  I'm also a big fan of Chownings for the historical aspect.  Love Paul's Deli right across from campus.  The Cheese Shop is OK but WAY over crowed and you tend to get more bread than meat.  Captain Georges is also a good seafood buffet.
View Quote

Pierces BBQ!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pierces BBQ!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pierces BBQ!!

No BBQ restaurant should serve frozen french fries as a side
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for Nawab!
Their Indian lunch buffet is outstanding! Great entree's off the menu for dinner too!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AMEN to the "don't eat at Pierces".  It tasted like an old time dental treatment (cloves) to me.

If you're into something a little more exotic.  Nawab on Monticello has a great Indian (not Pochantas type ) lunchtime buffet for about $10 bucks.
View Quote

To avoid misunderstanding, just say "Dot. Not feather."
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll add to the "don't bother with Pierce's" crowd.  I had heard how great it was and made my wife and a couple friends go there when we were in the area.  The food was ok, but nothing special.  The building itself is like an old fast food restaurant that needs to be remodeled, and between waiting in line to order, waiting for our number to be called after ordering, and walking around looking for a table, it took a good 25 minutes to get our food.  Not even close to worth it.  Belmont in Norfolk is better, costs marginally more for significantly bigger portions, has a bunch of beers on tap, and is an actual sit-down restaurant (you mentioned you were heading this way).

The Blue Talon and Trellis in Colonial Williamsburg are both pretty good.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Best pizza in Wburg

Bellissimo Pizza
6614 Mooretown Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Pierces' isn't bad, it just isn't as good as it once was. 99% of the flavor is in the sauce. They do not even offer ribs anymore. I was there Friday.

Bellisimo is good pizza, but very expensive. Only place I know of that makes a round Sicilian for the dumb customers. I also like Old Towne Pizza. Sals not so much, sauce is harsh.

I would not eat on Merchant's Square unless you have to. Expensive and crowded usually. If you want a sandwhich at Cheese Shop, call ahead and avoid the wait. Stefanos is OK too for hot sandwiches. If you eat a burger at Retros and can figure out what the hamburger is made from, please post.

The college places are decent, if you can avoid the students - Pauls, Green Leafe, etc. Get sandwhiches or strombolis.

Dusis on Old Towne, is a true home cooked meal/ Only been there for breakfast.

Unfortunately being a tourist town it is dominated by Chain Food, but there are some independent places along Richmond past 60, most are breakfast/lunch, but there are 2-3 steak/seafood places.

Watch the speed limits and jaywalkers are everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No BBQ restaurant should serve frozen french fries as a side
View Quote

Not frozen, they are hardened from the cholesterol they are cooked in. Seriously those Crinkle Cuts at Burger King are better.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:56:33 AM EDT
[#22]
And five forks, or Astronomical Pancake House for breakfast.

Five Forks

I have to tell a story about Paul's; I was there this spring and a cupcake sales guy was talking to the owner.  The owner tried the cupcakes and said "these are very good, but I can't sell them, they are so tiny my customers will finish them in two bites. that is not what we do here."  Good philosophy!  I can't remember leaving Paul's hungry.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#23]
CCW, concealed is concealed.

Pierces is decent, but not the best bbq I've ever had.

Seconding Paul's or the College Delly for subs (Holly or Italian ftw), Cheese shop is a great place for a bite too, Trellis, Blue Talon, Fat Canary- DOG street pub is nice as well.

Buy some of this beer while in Williamsburg (for sale in some of the shops in the Historic area).

for fun old timey Gun stuff- check out the lower level weapons gallery at the DeWitt Wallace Museum as mentioned above, also head to the Magazine in the historic area (another nice weapons display- also a great one at the Governor's palace) and the Armory complex to see that too- then on to the Geddy/Gunsmith's shop.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Ditto on the Fat Canary

And head on down the colonial parkway to gloclucester point.  See where a minor naval battle occurred and then dinner at Rivers Inn
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the info! Is it accurate to think I could travel from outer banks (duck) to Williamsburg in a couple hours?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the info! Is it accurate to think I could travel from outer banks (duck) to Williamsburg in a couple hours?

View Quote

Without traffic, I'd expect closer to 3 than 2.  If there's a backup along the way, it's anyone's guess.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is it accurate to think I could travel from outer banks (duck) to Williamsburg in a couple hours?
View Quote

No. I've made that run several times and it's a 3 hour drive. South of Great Bridge, VA, all the way down to the Wright Memorial Bridge over to the outer banks is one giant speed trap. Depending upon the day & time you plan to leave Duck, you may spend a good 45 minutes sitting in traffic just trying to get from Duck to the Wright Bridge.

You can certainly make it to Williamsburg in 2 hours, if you leave Duck at after 2 AM and magically avoid cops. It's been done at least once in history.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top