Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 6:59:36 AM EDT
We are looking at moving out there.  Any areas to stay away from, schools etc?

Thanks,
Tex
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It gets exponentially cheaper and more shooting opportunities 30 minutes South.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Where is your job going to be? As in warrenton? Reston? or ? Traffic sucks in northern Virginia area. I always suggest people to live as close as their income will allow to where they work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where is your job going to be? As in warrenton? Reston? or ? Traffic sucks in northern Virginia area. I always suggest people to live as close as their income will allow to where they work.
View Quote

TPNI.  

As to OPs question, I have friends that live in both, and, from what I've seen, these areas seem pretty nice.  Gainesville has plenty of construction going on the past few years, so my guess it's expanding (like much of NOVA).  One is in Fauquier County the other Prince William,  so that could produce a difference in public schools.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I live just east of Warrenton.  Ask away with your questions and I will give you my answers.

Gainesville to me is nothing but a bunch of houses to close together for me.  That is why I went further west to reach Warrenton and got into an area that doesn't have HOA and I have just over an acre of land so I have the privacy I want.

My daughter is graduating this year, I don't have any problems with the schools here.  I would rate them just like anywhere else a lot of it deals with how much the students apply themselves.

Taxes are lower out here in Fauquier county when compared to Prince William.  That is because we don't have all the services that Prince William offers.  It is gradually changing so you will see taxes increase over time here in Fauquier but at a much slower rate than in Prince William.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have lived in Nova for the last 8 yrs (Alexandria) in a town house.  I need a single family home.  We need more room for my 6 yr old and 2.5 yr old.  We are looking at a development called brookside.  We went and looked at it today.  Its near brittle lake off of Riley rd. I was kind of bummed because the last 3 lots look at he back of some old military barracks that have been bought by Faquier county and turned into second chance townhouses for women escaping domestic violence.  That bothers me, because more abusive men tend to show up around these women.  Men that have other issues too.  Drugs, burglary, violence, etc.

Can anyone give me some info on this development?

Tex
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Brookside will be developing for years to come.  You may have to just keep an eye out for which part of it is next.  I am a volunteer with the local fire company that services the Brookside area.  I myself live a couple miles west of there.

The assisted housing as been there in the old Vint Hill complex for a long time.

Brookside development is attempting to buy up the vint hill industrial complex and turn it into a commercial area and more houses.  Not sure if that will go through but they are trying.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome news Bill.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all for the info and advice.  We just signed a contract to start building our house near Vint hill.  Excited and scared.   Whole lot a debt, but momma's happy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Vint hill is very nice, they have a brewery coming and already have a vineyard.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks to all for the info and advice.  We just signed a contract to start building our house near Vint hill.  Excited and scared.   Whole lot a debt, but momma's happy.
View Quote

I live in Gainesville and work off of vint hill on Kennedy rd. my brother in law and sister bought some acreage on vint hill. Very nice area. How much land did you get?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I live in Gainesville and work off of vint hill on Kennedy rd. my brother in law and sister bought some acreage on vint hill. Very nice area. How much land did you get?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buccaneer?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Vint hill is very nice, they have a brewery coming and already have a vineyard.
View Quote

Brewery is already there...Old Bust Head.  Currently you have to drink in their brewing "factory"  but it is absolutely worth it.  They have a ton of money dumped into it already.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]
It is part of the Brookside development.  I am right up against the fence with Vint Hill (literally).  We got one of 3 remaining plots on shepherdstown rd.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to the area.  Give me a shout  sometime if you want and maybe we can do some local shooting.

If you have any interest in helping out at the fire company let me know as I can introduce you around.  Or if you just want a tour let me know and I will give your family a tour as well.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Welcome to the area.  Give me a shout  sometime if you want and maybe we can do some local shooting.

If you have any interest in helping out at the fire company let me know as I can introduce you around.  Or if you just want a tour let me know and I will give your family a tour as well.

Have a nice day.

Bill
View Quote

I'm interested in local shooting.  Can't really help out at the fire company though, sorry.  

While we've got the Gainesville/Warrenton crew on the hook, anyone interested in shooting matches at Range82?  I just emailed them about it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Bill.  I might take you up on that.  Projected move in date is early to mid September, but we might be finding a apt out there mid summer so my kiddos can get into school.  we just a accepted a contract on our townhouse in Alexandria today.  Things are really rolling now.

Tex
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Good news for you on both counts.  Always good to hear when a plan comes together for people.

Shout at me anytime you want.  I am sometimes slow in answering but other times I am quicker.  Also if you happen to stop by the fire station during the evening ask for Bill and they will tell you if I am around.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Is that the New Baltimore station by the school?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats on the purchase!  What do you do 9-5?  The FAA has a nice facility right next to you and lots of IT jobs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I am a non IT Govt slob that works in DC.  I can barely sign in to ARFCOM and sometimes have to ask my 6 year old to help me do that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes, the station is now across the street from Hunter Richie elementary on Riley road.  We have been in that building less than 2 years. So people in the area haven't realized we moved off of highway 29 yet.  

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks again for all the valuable info posted here.  I have another question.  

Transportation.  Does anyone here work in DC?  If so, how do you get in and out?  Buses, car pool, train????

Thanks,
Tex
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks again for all the valuable info posted here.  I have another question.  

Transportation.  Does anyone here work in DC?  If so, how do you get in and out?  Buses, car pool, train????

Thanks,
Tex
View Quote

You can try going to the Vienna Metro on 66 or hit the train in Manassas.  Either way is going to be PAINFUL (I know from experience).  Best bet is to secure early working hours and drive in if possible.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a lose-lose situation. Every option takes the same amount of time it's whether you want to sit in traffic or not
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Motorcycle is the quickest with HOV.  That is until you get inside the beltway on 66.

Thankfully all my work was either in Chantilly or Springfield so only had to go truly inside a couple itmes.

Now I work in Manassas so my commute is wonderful, only 20 minutes and it is all back roads.

The only other option is as mentioned early hours, like 6am or before.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Now I work in Manassas so my commute is wonderful, only 20 minutes and it is all back roads.

View Quote

Exactly the same here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I grew up in Fauquier county in the 70-80's and graduated from FHS in 88.  It was the only HS in the entire county back then.  Not the same place now for certain.  I get lost in the very place I grew up in now.

Compared to the rest of NOVA, Fauquier would seem to still be a great place to raise a family.  OP, if Spitony's Pizza is still open in New Baltimore, you should try it.  It was good back then and probably still is now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Spitony's is still there with their good pizza.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Looking for a good GP doctor in the Warrenton/Gainesville area.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:25:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bumping this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bumping this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bumping this.

Native Texan raised in Vienna checking in. Been in Haymarket for the past 8 years and yes, commuting sucks. Still looking for that dream job commute to Manassas.

To answer your question, our GP for the past 4 or 5 years is Dr Vipul Parikh www.mvimp.com right at the medical center / hospital at the end of Heathcote Blvd (intersection of 15 and Heathcote).  He's a good dude.  Great with kids too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top