Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, apparently the range opened Saturday.  

How they think posting to Facebook is the best way to communicate that - AND NOT THE NEWSLETTER EMAIL I SIGNED UP FOR - is beyond me.

I had a non-shooter alert me to this a few minutes ago.

Pissed off does not describe me at the moment.
View Quote

The most advanced indoor range facility in the nation opens up in your backyard, and you get that upset over not getting an email?  

The number of moving pieces involved in an enterprise of this nature is staggering.  Having been involved in the opening of a range myself (about 1/4 the size) I am amazed at what ESS has pulled off here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't made it over to the range yet but, have gotten my membership. I am thankful for the range and do think it is remarkable how quickly this seems to have come together. I know the owners have worked long and hard to get to the opening.
We are fortunate to have such a nice facility so close in our area. I wish them luck and good fortune in the coming years.
I'll certainly be going in the next day or so.
Again thanks and good luck
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The most advanced indoor range facility in the nation opens up in your backyard, and you get that upset over not getting an email?  

The number of moving pieces involved in an enterprise of this nature is staggering.  Having been involved in the opening of a range myself (about 1/4 the size) I am amazed at what ESS has pulled off here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, apparently the range opened Saturday.  

How they think posting to Facebook is the best way to communicate that - AND NOT THE NEWSLETTER EMAIL I SIGNED UP FOR - is beyond me.

I had a non-shooter alert me to this a few minutes ago.

Pissed off does not describe me at the moment.

Nothing I said was incorrect.  This will be the last time I address it.

I signed up as a member and put my faith in them - and my money - 3 months ago.  This "non-advertised" opening was advertised on Facebook.  Not via the email newsletter I subscribed to.  Not here.  Not on their website.  But on Facebook.  They made the assumption that their members "follow them" on Facebook.  A non-member here at work told me about it on Monday asking if I went on Saturday.  No, I didn't - I went to F'ing SHARPSHOOTERS - way, way out of my way, all because I don't have Facebook?  I didn't want to go shoot at that dump, given the option.

I was solo without any obligations all weekend, bored out of my mind, and had no clue they were open for shooting/tours.  So, yeah, I was pissed and said so.  But a simple "sorry for the miscommunication" would have been fine.  Emailing members who paid up front would have seemed like a good idea.  They didn't update their website to reflect "Now Open" until Monday afternoon/evening, after my post.

I'm sorry I don't want to share pictures of my vacations or my cats and comment on your Grandmother on Facebook.  But saying it wasn't "advertised" yet posting it to Facebook (which is "advertising") was a bit silly.

So, was I upset?  Sure.  But I'm over it.  Nothing more needs to be said, as what's done is done.  If someone wants to continue the conversation, IM me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you not know the difference between a soft and hard opening.    I posted a statement on here last week that said there was a possibility of them opening last weekend in a soft operation.  Just because you didn't get an individual e-mail notice is no reason to get all high and mighty.

So get off your high horse, it seems like you are one of those people that is has to be all about you.

Enjoy the range this company has built for all of us to enjoy.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Will they be renting firearms?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eventually...
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not unusual to have a soft launch when you open a new business or other venture.  You'd like to first verify that your infrastructure and staff can handle a smaller load before you ramp up.  It's one reason a grand opening event is often held weeks after an actual opening.  I imagine that they are also pretty busy with work at the site, which is another reason they may not be keeping everyone up to date as well as we would like.

I have been involved in a couple of new businesses and the release of numerous products.  You don't get much sleep as you lead up to the opening/release...and then it gets worse as the day arrives and stuff goes off the rails.

Either way, thanks to whoever posted the info about them being open.  I'm looking forward to checking them out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not unusual to have a soft launch when you open a new business or other venture.  You'd like to first verify that your infrastructure and staff can handle a smaller load before you ramp up.  It's one reason a grand opening event is often held weeks after an actual opening.  I imagine that they are also pretty busy with work at the site, which is another reason they may not be keeping everyone up to date as well as we would like.

I have been involved in a couple of new businesses and the release of numerous products.  You don't get much sleep as you lead up to the opening/release...and then it gets worse as the day arrives and stuff goes off the rails.

Either way, thanks to whoever posted the info about them being open.  I'm looking forward to checking them out.
View Quote

The target controls are the slickest I've ever seen.  And the booths seem much wider than any of the other local ranges, so sharing lanes is no issue.

Best part of the non-shooting side?  They had wall-mounted big screen TV's with Fox News on.    Take that, Bloomberg.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Just pulled from their Facebook page:

In order to prepare for our Grand Opening Celebration, Elite Shooting Sports will be closing at 3 p.m. this Friday, November 14th. We will re-open Saturday, November 15 at 10:00 a.m. We hope to see you then!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In order to prepare for our Grand Opening Celebration, Elite Shooting Sports will be closing at 3 p.m. this Friday, November 14th. We will re-open Saturday, November 15 at 10:00 a.m. We hope to see you then!
View Quote

Good 'ol Chad Dukes will be on hand Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any idea what time he will be there?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said 10-12 on his show earlier this week.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope not.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hope not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

We'll you're going to be disappointed.  Firearm rental, $10/hr.  Class III, $25/hr.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Had a nice relaxing evening using the 50 yard range this evening.  Only 2 others on the range for the nearly 2 hours I was there.  Hardly anyone on the 25 yard ranges either.

Love the size of the shooting lanes.  Can easily move around without worry of bumping things and take the stance you want.

If I can get a chance I will be back on Saturday to see how things are going with the grand opening.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody know if the target cameras are just on the 100 range?  Would be kinda nice on the 50 too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anybody know if the target cameras are just on the 100 range?  Would be kinda nice on the 50 too.
View Quote

There weren't any on the 50's.  I had binoculars, so that helped.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We'll you're going to be disappointed.  Firearm rental, $10/hr.  Class III, $25/hr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

Yup.  Not a fan of untrained firearms tourists.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

I'm hoping they ask if they have used firearms before, and if not, have an RSO work with them.  I assume that's their plan.  But I know what happens when you assume.  (we all get shot )
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm hoping they ask if they have used firearms before, and if not, have an RSO work with them.  I assume that's their plan.  But I know what happens when you assume.  (we all get shot )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

Yup.  Not getting shot again if I can help it.  I might go check this place out this afternoon.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

Bummer.  One of the things that I like about the NRA range is knowing that the person in the lane next to me isn't some yahoo who has never touched a firearm before...and who just rented the one in their hand at the counter.  I have heard of some ranges that will only rent you a firearm if you show up with one.  That's a nice compromise.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bummer.  One of the things that I like about the NRA range is knowing that the person in the lane next to me isn't some yahoo who has never touched a firearm before...and who just rented the one in their hand at the counter.  I have heard of some ranges that will only rent you a firearm if you show up with one.  That's a nice compromise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not.

Keep in mind the weekend of the gun shows in Chantilly, that's exactly what happens.  People who just bought a gun for the first time heading to the NRA range down the street to kick the tires.  Best to avoid those weekends.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#24]
FYI for you members - it appears ammo is sold only to members to stop Joe Public from coming in a clearing shelves.  Good news is the prices are cheaper than anywhere you'll find (and it's actually in stock), and they have loads of .22lr.  I got a 325rd brick of Federal Auto Match for $19.  Same thing PSA just had "on sale" for $29.99 plus shipping.

They told me their plan is to keep ammo at "Walmart prices" as a benefit to people with memberships - and to keep it in stock.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a chance to go shoot today and I have to say this range is outstanding!  Well worth the wait.  I was able to go late this afternoon and didn't have to wait for a lane.  Shot on the 25 yard range and also the 50 yard range.  Hope to go tomorrow or sometime next week to try out the 100 yard range.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I took the time to go to Elite Shooting Sports today in order to add my wife to my membership. It was my first time there as I purchased the membership prior to their grand opening and wasn't sure what to expect. I was blown away by the overall classiness of the establishment as well as the politeness and lack of "stuck up" mentality among the employees; I felt compelled to write a brief review and share my initial thoughts.
As far as the review itself goes...be gentle, its my first time

Elite Shooting Sports (ESS) is located in Manassas, VA is hands down the most comprehensive and nicest indoor range in Northern Virginia and perhaps beyond. The owner was a 15yr NRA employee and was the head manager of the NRA range in Fairfax VA. In addition he has been shooting competitively for 25yrs and is an IPSC and IDPA Grand Master. It is apparent he used all of his experience from the NRA range and "what works and doesn't" when designing this facility. More importantly it seems he applied that same experience and logic to the facilities policies. A range's policies can be just as important as the facility itself in terms of their success and it's evident the owner is very pro 2A and eager to introduce new people to the sport.

Being 65,000sq ft Elite Shooting Sports offers much more than just shooting lanes including: A retail/pro shop, full service cafe, full time gunsmith, simulator room, dojo, various classrooms, lounge/sitting areas, a metric crap ton of lockers, and tons of bathrooms. Oh yea, and a two story live fire shoot house for civilian classes and mil/leo training...

(Below was a rendering but as you can see above its identical in real life, just the shelves/inventory aren't fully stocked yet

*Speaking of shooting lanes ESS has the following: (24) 25yd lanes, (10) 50yd lanes, and (8) 100yd lanes...

*Range hours have been an inconvenience for me in the past due to my rotating days off and working nights. This isn't the case with ESS...
Monday-Sunday 8:00am-10:00pm
(0800-2200 for you rank and file folks)

*Their annual memberships and daily rates are very affordable and they even offer a month to month membership...
Hourly
$20/hr 25yd and 50yd ranges
$25/hr 100yd range
$10/hr for each extra person (max of 3 per lane)
Minor under the age of 18 sharing a lane shoot for free
(Little touches like this separate them from other ranges in the area)
ANNUAL
$350/yr ($50 for each family member)
$300/yr Mil/LEO/Fire Fighter (same family member rate)

*Things that stood out...
-Staff was very very nice, I simply asked an employee where a range was and he questioned if it was my first time there. Upon answering yes he took me and my wife on a tour of the entire facility.

-The massive excerpt from the Second Amendment as a focal point

-They allow all NFA items and full auto fire (they do reserve the right to verify paperwork)

-Can draw from strong side and appendix holsters

-I asked about chronograph use and one of the RSO explained not only was that acceptable, but part of the initial planning. You simply call ahead and give them a heads up and they will work it out (I'm assuming that's if they are not ridiculously busy).

-Multiple targets are allowed on each lane, provided they are eye level

-Handwash stations outside of every range bay

-Hardwood floors and granite everywhere...classy!

(To ESS, I pulled the images from your site and re-uploaded through my photobucket as to not steal your bandwidth. At your request I can delete this post)
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Great review.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#28]

I went today.

I was impressed by the clean and modern decor and range.  The staff was friendly.   The other ranges that I shoot semi-regularly at are Sharpshooters and Peacemaker.  I will probably get a lot of flak for the following but...  My only annoyance is that you are only allowed to shoot one firearm at a time on the line.  I'm not talking dual wielding, but the practice of transitions from the carbine to handgun is not allowed.   And when I am shooting the carbine with my 2 point sling, after a string of fire, I can't have the carbine in a controlled (hands off) hang muzzle pointed down to do admin stuff within my shooting booth.  (pick up empty mags , move loaded mags to the front, etc.)  Mind you, this is with the chamber open and bolt locked to the rear, safety engaged.  I got a reminder for that.  

I still have 6months left on my membership at Sharpshooters, I will reconsider my options at that time.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
When is the Ranges page going to get updated? Attn Moderator!

I attended the Open House yesterday, and the BBQ and venue were awesome. Really impressed with the place and the people. The Simulator room alone is worth the trip. I think this place could be classified as a "Destination Resort" for shooters! It's like Disney Land. Thank you ESS for bringing a world class facility to my back yard.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank You all for the kind words. We are doing our best to make every ones experience a pleasant one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MnD2cqBF9kw/VGkRX9cTjeI/AAAAAAAADxc/QS8zv9b-4Qw/w1412-h798-no/IMAG0456.jpg

I went today.

I was impressed by the clean and modern decor and range.  The staff was friendly.   The other ranges that I shoot semi-regularly at are Sharpshooters and Peacemaker.  I will probably get a lot of flak for the following but...  My only annoyance is that you are only allowed to shoot one firearm at a time on the line.  I'm not talking dual wielding, but the practice of transitions from the carbine to handgun is not allowed.   And when I am shooting the carbine with my 2 point sling, after a string of fire, I can't have the carbine in a controlled (hands off) hang muzzle pointed down to do admin stuff within my shooting booth.  (pick up empty mags , move loaded mags to the front, etc.)  Mind you, this is with the chamber open and bolt locked to the rear, safety engaged.  I got a reminder for that.  

I still have 6months left on my membership at Sharpshooters, I will reconsider my options at that time.

View Quote

Thank You for checking us out. We will always considers suggestions made by our customers. It is important to understand that range rules are established based on ALL customers skill level for the overall safety of the range. Not everyone has been trained in the proper techniques needed to safely do transitions or even pick up empty magazines off the floor with a slung rifle. I have been instructing for over 25 years and still see instances during advanced carbine classes with highly trained, skilled operators muzzling folks because of improper techniques. Customers want to shoot at a safe facility and it is our obligation to provide them a safe environment. While we will take your suggestions to heart, it is important to understand safety is our number one priority.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Cant wait to try it out! Ill be in town next week.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got back from my first trip to the new range. I felt kind of under dressed  for the place. It has to be the nicest indoor range I've been to and I've been to quite a few over the years.
The staff couldn't have been nicer and we are very lucky to have such a world class range in our back yard
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Grats on the new range finally opening.

{puts Staff hat on} Please be careful not "advertise" within this thread, as we have strict rules governing such. You're welcome to answer questions about the facility and the rules, just avoid discussing anything concerning sales of items or services.{takes Staff hat off}

It really looks like a great place, too bad it's up in NOVA.
View Quote

I have been very careful and respectful not to do so.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Who is the gunsmith that will be working there and when does he start?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I went to Elite on Monday night, and had a blast.  I was the only person on the 100 yard lanes around 5:45pm, and the lanes quickly filled up.  I finally got the opportunity to zero my ACOG at 100 yards, and test a variety of 77grain OTM ammo for my AR15 (BH, GA, IMI, CBC).  It turns out my 14.5" BCM Carbine prefers IMI @ 100 yards (bench w/cheap tripod rest).

Hopefully the cameras on the 100 yard range will be installed soon so we can shoot more instead of retrieving the targets every 5-10 shots to check group accuracy.

I look forward to my next trip to Elite, it's really a 1st class range!

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I was there last night for the first time.  The easiest way to sum up my experience is, "wow!"  The staff is really nice and the facility is amazing.  I have lived and shot in NOVA for over 20 years without having one single annual membership to any local range.  This will most likely be the first one I get.  Oh, and I saw bricks of .22LR on the shelf.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I generally dislike going to public ranges, but, like all of us I need to sustain my proficiency when i'm not teaching at EAG Tactical

Generally not a fan of indoor ranges, but as with Scottsdale Gun Club, Colonial, FLETC and Montgomery County PA range, the benefits of the indoor range offset any issues I might have.

I stopped by today and bought a membership.
It is an impressive place, and it suits my needs (sustainment, zeroing optics, T&E stuff)

And, it is not Sxxxxx Exxxx

:)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Pat - any chance of teaching a class there?

ELITE SHOOTING SPORTS - TRAINING

GUEST INSTRUCTOR SERIES:

Elite Shooting Sports is proud to partner with some of the leading instructors in the country to bring the “Guest Instructor Series “. This is a variety of classes from self-defense to competition taught by some of the leading instructors and schools across the nation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Can't wait to try this place out!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#43]
My wife wanted to buy me a membership, but said your webpage says theyre SOLD OUT!?!

Whats up with that?!?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I was just by there yesterday. The pay upfront annual memberships are sold out, but you can still get an annual membership with monthly payments. If I remember correctly it comes out to be only a few dollars more than the pay upfront memberships were going for. The place was amazing, I don't think I've ever been to such a nice range before. All the staff were very friendly and helpful also. I can't recommend this place enough.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The pay upfront annual memberships are sold out, but you can still get an annual membership with monthly payments. If I remember correctly it comes out to be only a few dollars more than the pay upfront memberships were going for.
View Quote

Not exactly.  Before, it was a $10 initiation fee +$350 ($360).  Now it's a $49.95 initiation fee +$34.95 per month ($469.39).  That's an extra $109.39, for the math impaired like me.    Not a substantial amount, but it's not a few bucks for sure.

And when did they change their hours??  They were 8am to 10pm, now it's 9am to 9pm.  Granted, I likely wouldn't have been there at 8am, but was certainly planning to go in the evenings on a regular basis (arriving 8:30-ish).

I won't speculate as to why...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Facebook page said the range was dead between 8-9 and 9-10.
They will adjust hours as needed for more usage.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Facebook page said the range was dead between 8-9 and 9-10.

They will adjust hours as needed for more usage.
View Quote

I was there last Friday at 8:10am and was the only one shooting for a few minutes.   When I left a little after 9am,  there were two other people there.   I saw at least 10 employees that early, probably more I didn't see.    That adds up quickly with not much $$$ coming in.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not exactly.  Before, it was a $10 initiation fee +$350 ($360).  Now it's a $49.95 initiation fee +$34.95 per month ($469.39).  That's an extra $109.39, for the math impaired like me.    Not a substantial amount, but it's not a few bucks for sure.

And when did they change their hours??  They were 8am to 10pm, now it's 9am to 9pm.  Granted, I likely wouldn't have been there at 8am, but was certainly planning to go in the evenings on a regular basis (arriving 8:30-ish).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pay upfront annual memberships are sold out, but you can still get an annual membership with monthly payments. If I remember correctly it comes out to be only a few dollars more than the pay upfront memberships were going for.

Ah I see what I did there... forgot about the  initiation fee  and for some reason was compairing the military discount price of the monthly to the regular price of the pay upfront
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Hi Folks,

Thank You all again we appreciate everyones support. Things are moving along pretty well, we are starting to make the transition from construction mode to operational mode still a lot of work to be done. We are experiencing  growing pains like any new business but remain fluid and we are adapting. We did change our hours with as many lanes we have we are easily accommodating our shooters. Most folks do not understand the expense involved to operate a facility like ours including the costs associated with operating our HVAC units on the ranges. It just didn't make good business sense to open earlier and stay later for just a few folks. Should we need to extend the hours again due to demand we will most certainly do so. An update on the 100 yard cameras we are trying to get them installed before the Holiday weekend. The 100 yard range has been a huge success, we did make a change and set a minimum distance of 25 yards to reduce range damage. I laugh now at the so called "experts" that told me I was nuts for wanting to put a 100 yard range in our facility. I may be a little nuts but not for wanting to build a hundred yard range, it is a huge success. There was a question about annual range memberships. We did have a certain number of payed up front annual memberships at a discounted rate available before and during our grand opening but those are sold out. The good news is annuals are still availible on our monthly payment program. We are still cheaper than all the other ranges offering the same type of membership and you save money if you come to our facility more than twice a month. If you are just an occasional user we offer the pay as you go option as well at very competitive rates. Again Thank You all for all your supports, hope to see you out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Actually, the 100d range was one of the major attractions.

One of...There are others
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top