User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
or someone that accidentally double fires
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got home a little bit ago.  I took a buddy from work - his first time there and first time shooting an AR.  He just bought an M&P15 and only had iron sights.  He thought it was pretty damn fun, but he hadn't seen anything yet.

He then shot my baby and my home defense weapon.  A suppressed 10.5" custom franken-SBR with my optic of choice (EOTech).  Pew pew pew.  Empties the mag.  The smile on his face couldn't get any bigger.  He lays the rifle down and just like Hollywood, there is a pencil thin wisp of smoke coming from the suppressor.  He's like a kid in a candy store.  We turn around and there are two ESS RSO's with grins just as big, one of them snapping photo's.  The older gentleman said they were for the website (I assume Facebook).

So, in the past 54 days I've signed up two people at ESS, got one person to join the NRA, got two people to join the VCDL, and got someone to purchase their first AR.  Now he wants in on the NFA game.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You have to pay THEM $10 to watch THEIR safety video? Ok...

I am planning on going there for the first time this week on my day off but I have to say I'm not too happy about paying an 'initiation fee' to watch a safety video and then paying again for the hourly fee.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am planning on going there for the first time this week on my day off but I have to say I'm not too happy about paying an 'initiation fee' to watch a safety video and then paying again for the hourly fee.
View Quote

Really?

If it was $100 dollars for the initialization fee, then I would agree with you but for a measly 10 dollars.... nope.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then don't go.

Their pricing and facilities are better than any other open-to-the-public range in the area.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're paying $10 to join as a member, not paying to watch a video.  It covers the cost of the membership card you get, which is good for life.  If you're an annual member or hourly member, it's the same card - a membership card.  If you're not happy about paying it, you could always... oh, I don't know... not go?

And if a seven minute safety video bothers you, I don't want to shoot when you are shooting.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The NRA range also charges a $10 fee (covers admin costs and the range card).

Nobody bitches 'bout that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
ESS-1
I haven't shot on a non Gov indoor range in 20+ years.
Poor lighting, poor ventilation, crowded firing areas, and general nonsense.

I shot there on Sat with John Murphy, and I was pleasantly surprised.
Very much so.

I get to shoot a fair amount at the courses I teach, but seldom have the time to do anything but maintain proficiency.

I rarely get to shoot other than M4 FOW and various service pistols, and leave a lot of fun stuff in the armory.

That will change.
A value added is that I get to test fire new T&E guns, sight in spare rifles and do some sustainment training when I am not traveling.

Thank you for bringing a top shelf range to NOVA!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The NRA range also charges a $10 fee (covers admin costs and the range card).

Nobody bitches 'bout that.
View Quote

I bitch about the NRA charge because I went there once and I don't think I am going back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ESS-1

Very much so.

I get to shoot a fair amount at the courses I teach, but seldom have the time to do anything but maintain proficiency.

I rarely get to shoot other than M4 FOW and various service pistols, and leave a lot of fun stuff in the armory.

That will change.
A value added is that I get to test fire new T&E guns, sight in spare rifles and do some sustainment training when I am not traveling.

View Quote

How about an EAG course at ESS?  Let's get the Guest Instructor Series started!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#11]
It is a thought, but my existing classes don't translate well on indoor ranges.

We are doing a Basic Carbine at Echo Valley Training Center 11-12 April though...
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ESS-1

Very much so.

That will change.

View Quote

Pat Thank You
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#13]
ESS-1,

I just arrived back from my second visit to the facility, both times at the 100yrd range doing some sighting of new optics on LaRue rifles.  Absolutely a wonderful time each visit, the staff was friendly and professional, and the facility like none I've ever experienced, simply superb.  Both times a waiting list formed for the 100yrd range so, an employee came by to tell us early arrivals (after we had been on the range an hour) we had 5 minutes to clean up so others could take the lanes.

No issues, but I would offer a couple of suggestions as in my case, I drive an hour to the range and would like to get more than an hour on the range.  

1.  Would it be possible to screen people to better determine their range assignment?  There were 3-4 people on the 100yrd range shooting either rimfire at 25yrds or limiting themselves to 50yrd shooting.  I went over to the 50yrd range and there were several lanes open.  Maybe screening would let us 100yrd guys shoot longer?

2.  Would it be possible to lengthen the time we get to pack up?  Having 15-20 minutes would allow people to finish a string or two and police up smartly.

Thanks for the consideration and thanks for trusting us by investing in such a nice facility.

D3
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ESS-1,

I just arrived back from my second visit to the facility, both times at the 100yrd range doing some sighting of new optics on LaRue rifles.  Absolutely a wonderful time each visit, the staff was friendly and professional, and the facility like none I've ever experienced, simply superb.  Both times a waiting list formed for the 100yrd range so, an employee came by to tell us early arrivals (after we had been on the range an hour) we had 5 minutes to clean up so others could take the lanes.

No issues, but I would offer a couple of suggestions as in my case, I drive an hour to the range and would like to get more than an hour on the range.  

1.  Would it be possible to screen people to better determine their range assignment?  There were 3-4 people on the 100yrd range shooting either rimfire at 25yrds or limiting themselves to 50yrd shooting.  I went over to the 50yrd range and there were several lanes open.  Maybe screening would let us 100yrd guys shoot longer?

2.  Would it be possible to lengthen the time we get to pack up?  Having 15-20 minutes would allow people to finish a string or two and police up smartly.

Thanks for the consideration and thanks for trusting us by investing in such a nice facility.

D3
View Quote

Thank You for the business and the suggestions. We do our best when asking folks about their 100 yard request. We actually find it quire comical ourselves how many folks want to use the 100 yard range yet only shoot 25-50 yards. Either they just want to shoot on a 100 yard indoor range to say they did or they don't quite understand what a 100 yard range looks like either way we will try to do a better job. I was out there last Saturday and only saw 1 of the 8 lanes being utilized at 100 yards so I know where you are coming from. As far as suggestion two, I hear you, we are still working out the logistics of things, three weeks ago when giving folks a longer heads up they were complaining not to bother them so we backed off a little but I'm sure there is a happy medium somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank You for the business and the suggestions. We do our best when asking folks about their 100 yard request. We actually find it quire comical ourselves how many folks want to use the 100 yard range yet only shoot 25-50 yards. Either they just want to shoot on a 100 yard indoor range to say they did or they don't quite understand what a 100 yard range looks like either way we will try to do a better job. I was out there last Saturday and only saw 1 of the 8 lanes being utilized at 100 yards so I know where you are coming from. As far as suggestion two, I hear you, we are still working out the logistics of things, three weeks ago when giving folks a longer heads up they were complaining not to bother them so we backed off a little but I'm sure there is a happy medium somewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ESS-1,

D3

Thanks for taking the time to consider and answer!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#16]
ESS,

Just had a thought. With all the technology you are implementing are the screens that control the targets tied into the logging system?  Thinking maybe you could add a countdown clock onto the screen showing the person on the lane how much longer they are allowed there.

I also very much enjoy my time at your range.  There at least once a week and have enjoyed all the different ranges depending on what I am shooting that day.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]
So now that SHOT show is past us, Who will your gunsmith be and when will he begin working?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
ESS Staff

Get all your range officers on the same page. I was shooting Tula 7.62x39 and one of your range officers came over and asked to look at my ammo. I handed him a cartridge and told him it's just regular Tula and showed him the box. He then proceeds to put his magnet on the bullet and tells me it's steel core and I can't shoot it there. I was so pissed they I didn't even argue with the RO and that's all I had to shoot with me so I pack up and leave my range session half way through. As I'm walking out I see two large piles of the same exact Tula for sale behind the counter.

I tell the nice lady at the counter what happened and asked if I could speak to the RO. She politely agreed with what I was saying and got the RO for me. I told him it's not armor piercing ammo, it's copper washed and you sell it here why can't I shoot it? He was a dick about it and didn't even apologize for his mistake but agreed that it was ok to shoot even though his magnet stuck to the bullet.

Please get all your range officer properly educated in steal core/armor piercing ammo. You will loose a lot of business if you don't.
That is all, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I doubt they will lose business; but that is beyond annoying. I'd be pretty pissed myself and would have asked to speak to the manager on duty.

Only "issue" I've had with one of the RO's is when I was shooting a few weeks ago, drawing from concealment. Young lady came over and told me I had to use a holster (holster was IWB and very low, it almost did look like I was not wearing a holster, I could understand the confusion)

She said she was going to check with another RO. Older gent came over and told me he had been watching me and everything I was doing was perfectly fine. The young lady was very apologetic and nice about the whole ordeal.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I was there last week and the RO asked me about my ammo.  He said "is that the ammo you are shooting today?".  I was shooting hand-rolled SMks and he moved on.  I hadn't thought much about it but if they are going to prohibit certain types of ammo, post a sign and tell people before they get on the range.  I have been to other ranges where they do the magnet test.  Some don't allow any steel.  Some allow wolf and tula ammo and prohibit green tip or surplus 5.45.  Some don't care at all.  Notice (before you are on the range) and consistency are the key.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Hi Folks,

Just to let everyone know on the ammo restrictions. Our ammo restrictions are listed in the range rules and in our range orientation video. As far as the staff goes I was there during the incident with the Tul Ammo and quite frankly was a little disappoint in my RSO for using a magnet and immediately reversed his decision. I explained to him contrary to what some outside sources may have told him a magnet test does not work because you can have a steel case with a lead core. The inconsistency is completely my fault because it is a training issue and I do apologize and appreciate everyones patience, I WILL  get it fixed.

Thank You

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#22]
It always says a lot to me when you come on here and answer questions and address problems.  So, thanks for that.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hi Folks,

Just to let everyone know on the ammo restrictions. Our ammo restrictions are listed in the range rules and in our range orientation video. As far as the staff goes I was there during the incident with the Tul Ammo and quite frankly was a little disappoint (disappointed) in my RSO for using a magnet and immediately reversed his decision. I explained to him contrary to what some outside sources may have told him a magnet test does not work because you can have a steel case (bullet jacket) with a lead core. The inconsistency is completely my fault because it is a training issue and I do apologize and appreciate everyones patience, I WILL  get it fixed.

Thank You

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I have been thinking about joining. I have not been yet. My main reason to join would be the 100 yard ranges. I have a pretty flexible work schedule. What kind of wait is there on the 100 yard ranges in the morning and mid afternoon during the mid-week or basically mon to fri?

I read some post about being limited to 1 hour. Is this all the time or just when busy? Would I be able to jump on a hand gun range while waiting on the 100 yard range?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I usually go mon-thurs after 6pm and have zero wait & have never had someone ask tell me times up on the 100 yard range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#26]
The only time I have seen the 1 hour time limit be enforced is when a waiting list is in affect.

Been there many times during the late afternoon and shot for as long as I wanted on any range.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Great. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I sent ESS-1 a message asking if DCJS Armed Officers are covered under their first responders membership pricing...

I didn't see it listed, and haven't gotten a response from them.

Does anyone know? I would like to think they support everyone who is armed and working with the public.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I sent ESS-1 a message asking if DCJS Armed Officers are covered under their first responders membership pricing...

I didn't see it listed, and haven't gotten a response from them.

Does anyone know? I would like to think they support everyone who is armed and working with the public.
View Quote

I believe they do.  I am former military, not retired, but have the VA Veterans ID card.  They happily took it and thanked me for my service.  Very nice of them to extend to those of us fitting that category.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top